Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Report: Obsidian Hit With Layoffs, Unannounced Project Canceled

• 148 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    No Caption Provided

Sour news to kick off this morning, as Joystiq is reporting that Obsidian Entertainment, the role-playing game-focused developer of titles like Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, has been hit with a number of layoffs. Citing a tip received overnight, as well as a number of tweets and forum posts on the official Obsidian website, the report claims that as many as 20-30 employees from various divisions were cut loose, including an employee hired on as recently as this past Monday.

Many of the staffers apparently let go were working on an upcoming, as-yet-unannounced project that had been codenamed "Project North Carolina," which is now purportedly canceled. However, some were staffers that had been working on the upcoming South Park RPG, which will be published by THQ.

Those affected reportedly include lead programmer Frank Kowalkowski, who had been with the company for a little more than eight and a half years, as well as lead producer Jason Fader.

Obsidian has yet to release an official statement on the layoffs. We'll update this story if/when they do.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex
    No Caption Provided

Sour news to kick off this morning, as Joystiq is reporting that Obsidian Entertainment, the role-playing game-focused developer of titles like Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, has been hit with a number of layoffs. Citing a tip received overnight, as well as a number of tweets and forum posts on the official Obsidian website, the report claims that as many as 20-30 employees from various divisions were cut loose, including an employee hired on as recently as this past Monday.

Many of the staffers apparently let go were working on an upcoming, as-yet-unannounced project that had been codenamed "Project North Carolina," which is now purportedly canceled. However, some were staffers that had been working on the upcoming South Park RPG, which will be published by THQ.

Those affected reportedly include lead programmer Frank Kowalkowski, who had been with the company for a little more than eight and a half years, as well as lead producer Jason Fader.

Obsidian has yet to release an official statement on the layoffs. We'll update this story if/when they do.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ttocs

Another day, another round of layoffs for a game studio.

JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JimmyPancakes

South Park RPG not cancelled. Everythings going to be okay.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By morningstar

Awww, this is bad news =(

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By dandead

Wow that sucks... :(

sapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sapp

But why Obsidian? Why the good guys?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

My sympathies to those affected. Being laid off sucks, and I hope that they all land back on their feet soon.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Well dude that sucks.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigdaddy81

Here's hoping that Steve, aka the entire QA department, wasn't let go.

Avatar image for krystal_sackful
    Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

Shit! This is terrible. That picture is perfect Alex.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

But I love Obsidian :(

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

balls

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I blame Rorie and his golden parachute.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Man, Obsidian has the best writing in games. Like, period.

This is a bummer.

They have the rights to Alpha Protocol. Avellone mentioned Kickstarter is interesting. I will give them 200 dollars, and I make minimum wage.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac

Nooo :(

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TobbRobb

NO WHY!? Obsidian don't go away, I still looooove yooooou.

I bought Dungeon Siege dammit, PLEASE STAY.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Chris2KLee

Bummer news. I've had issues with the studio's games on a technical level, but there is always great stuff to be found in them. I really hope this isn't signs of darker times to come for them. They are a studio I really keep hoping get' their big hit. Didn't know THQ was publishing the South Park RPG, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about the future of the project now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust

I really foresee a future (perhaps it's already here) where every game is made by a temporary studio for that single release. When it's done, they're all fired and the mad dash to be on the next game begins.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By louiedog

@BigDaddy81 said:

Obsidian has one of the oddest reputations in the industry. A lot of people look forward to their games, many end up loving them and praising them, but no one expects polish, technical quality, or a smooth experience playing them.

kurtkless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By kurtkless

wonder what that project was

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Winternet

This is pretty awful news.

I just hope the secret project wasn't Alpha Protocol 2, because they totally should another Alpha Protocol game.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By WJist

So I just watched Code Monkeys for the first time...and the episode I was introduced to was the one where all the Game Devs are fired and have to take jobs at the mall. I hope those impacted get jobs back in game development, the people at Obsidian had some neat takes on RPGs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

That's a bummer, I hope those affected are lucky enough to get back on their feet quickly.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Well, that sucks :/

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigdaddy81

@louiedog: I know, I am one of those people. I actually think Obsidian is one of the few developers that would benefit immensely if they were bought by a large publisher. Preferably not EA or Activision though. 2K maybe?

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By DevWil

HEY. i don't like this.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gabriel

"...including an employee hired on as recently as this past Monday"

Damn, talk about disappointing.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

Sadness. One of my favourite devs. Hopefully things aren't too bad over there.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Goddamn it, I was looking forward to the small-scale tactical RPG that was apparently being worked on. At least there's Wasteland 2.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deerokus

@Winternet: Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen. A more polished sequel would be fantastic*.

*A lot of the complaints some had about that game were down to the poor gunplay and general low-budget feel of it, but the same thing must be said of the first Mass Effect game, for example. And that series is far less ambitious than AP.

evilspants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By evilspants

While it is always sad to see the layoff of developers, Obsidian made buggy games. Knights of The Old Republic II, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas are prime examples. They can write a good story, but they can't make a good game.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mewarmo990

@louiedog said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

Obsidian has one of the oddest reputations in the industry. A lot of people look forward to their games, many end up loving them and praising them, but no one expects polish, technical quality, or a smooth experience playing them.

I guess it's a case of people enjoying their games enough to be willing to overlook technical flaws. Which is a credit to Obsidian's creative team, really, but I wish there were more QA.

imooumoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By imooumoo

Obsidian deserves better then this. Although, I'm not sure I recognize the company after the Southpark game announcement.

Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cross

Quite surprising to me, considering the success of New Vegas, and it's too late for Alpha Protocol to still have ramifications.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Fucking hell. Obsidian is one of my favorite developers, especially among the ones that are still existing. It's heart-breaking to see people still being true to exceptionally written, truly interactive stories paying such a bitter price. Even with their flawed level of polish at times. Man sometimes it's really hard to not rage at the current state of gaming. People throw thousands of dollars at "indie" nostalgia-trips, sometimes based on pure faith, worship game stories that barely deserve that name and the Obsidian guys struggle to even make a living at all? Fuck this shit!

@Winternet: Dude, I'd be SO up for a continuation of that outstanding game! It was a great first attempt but has plenty of room to grow too - It'd be perfect for a sequel.

@EvilSpants said:

They can write a good story, but they can't make a good game.

Obsidian is one of the few developers where you can't lazily apply your mainstream game logic. The highly interactive story IS such a big part of their games. There isn't any of the clear cut Bioware-esque duality of mediocre gameplay and cinematic presentation of " I wanna be a boyscout" or "Ima total sociopath". There is some (often) flawed action and mostly interactive fiction in an Obsidian game, at least that's my take.

whylessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By whylessness

New Vegas was sooo good :/

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vinsanityv22

Sad. I mean, it's not really surprising - besides Fallout, what else has Obsidian done recently that was an actual hit? Figured they would've been hit earlier, considering Alpha Protocol's performance, y'know? Still, despite their inconsistent output, I like Obsidian a lot and am glad they're working on South Park and other, original IPs (lord knows this industry needs 'em). Wish all those let go the best. Maybe they'll open their own RPG studio now? We should have more here in North America than ...what, three? (Bioware, Bethesda and Obsidian)

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kkotd

I've always had mixed feelings for Obsidian, they typically get 'sloppy seconds' when it comes to making a game and have to live to the criticisms and hype of that first title. For instance, KOTOR 2, many people loved, but also many people despised because of story plot holes, technical difficulties and numerous other controversies related to them making it instead of Bioware. Personally, the titles I disliked were Fallout New Vegas and Dungeon Siege, FNV, while an excellent game, had one major issue, I was done with Fallout before New Vegas came out. I was beyond done with that engine because of oversaturation of DLC from Fallout 3. DS3, they tried something different and it fell flat. I really had hoped that it wouldn't have hurt them that bad, but it looks like with the P1 lull and the hardest fiscal year ever for the gaming industry being forcasted, I can see why they had to make massive cut backs. I sincerely hope, nigh on pray that they don't go completely out or sell off, because they are one of the few who seem to care about making games. They have a sincere and loving passion for what they do and doing it right, while many companies such as EA and now even Blizzard are looking to cut corners and monetize when they think they can get away with it. From a consumer standpoint, it feels as if we are getting shafted, but if you open your eyes, companies are having to do this just to stay afloat. Even if it seems silly to say that EA is anywhere near tough times finacially, they very well could easily start hurting if speculations on how much the used game market will rise this year. Remember, they don't make a dime off of used, and as consumers cut back money-wise, they either have to buy used, buy less games or stop buying games period and that hurts any company, even a giant like EA or Activision.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Monkeyman04

Maybe one of those laid off can get a job at Screened.com.... and now I out. PEACE!

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By dagas

Too bad. They are the only ones who even attempt to make Bioware style games.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PimblyCharles

@vinsanityv22 said:

Sad. I mean, it's not really surprising - besides Fallout, what else has Obsidian done recently that was an actual hit? Figured they would've been hit earlier, considering Alpha Protocol's performance, y'know? Still, despite their inconsistent output, I like Obsidian a lot and am glad they're working on South Park and other, original IPs (lord knows this industry needs 'em). Wish all those let go the best. Maybe they'll open their own RPG studio now? We should have more here in North America than ...what, three? (Bioware, Bethesda and Obsidian)

Obsidian are one of the few developers these days that push the envelope of what video games can do. They take risks. Some may not work out, but some are brilliant and affect the future of game mechanics. Also, there are people, like myself, that absolutely loved Alpha Protocol. If you know what you're getting into beforehand, and how the game mechanics work as an RPG, it's a fantastic game and one that takes many risks as mentioned above.

This is very sad, and I hope the future of Obsidian is going to be better. I'm sure these talented people that were laid off will find other jobs in the industry, considering they have some good experience. I would be heart broken if Obsidian went under, so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Hopefully, its just part of the recession and nothing more.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By mustachioeugene

shitty news.

Alex with yet another perfect choice of picture to accompany bad news.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Elazul

Does this mean Screened will finally get some new employees?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta

this is the worst D:

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#45  Edited By delta_ass
    @deerokus said:

@Winternet: Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen. A more polished sequel would be fantastic*.

*A lot of the complaints some had about that game were down to the poor gunplay and general low-budget feel of it, but the same thing must be said of the first Mass Effect game, for example. And that series is far less ambitious than AP.

Um, what? Mass Effect 1 was ten times the game AP was.
    Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
    posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By posttimeskipsam

I was really looking forward to Elder Scrolls V: New Vegas. Seriously though, they have my sympathy.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Chemin

No! This is extremely bad news. The RPG genre is struck yet another hard blow. As usual.

I'm sad.

Nonentity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nonentity

Gonna pour one out for my personal friend Jim who was their hiring manager and a wonderful dude who was also affected.

Lemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lemi

UPDATE

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107270-obsidian-entertainment-layoffs-project-cancelled.html

UPDATE: Our tipster has confirmed that it was indeed Project North Carolina that was cancelled, and that the devastating news comes after "the owners weren't paid for 6-7 months" and "401k matching was halted" for employees. Hopefully Obsidian lets us throw our money at a Kickstarter project soon, or I'm going to really start to worry.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fRAWRst

Man, this bums me out

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.