Facebook Just Bought Oculus VR

Posted by Alex (2124 posts) -

Here's one you probably didn't see coming.

Facebook announced today that it is acquiring Oculus VR, creators of the still-in-development Oculus Rift VR headset, for $2 billion in cash and shares of Facebook stock. Go ahead, take a moment to process that. Facebook now owns Oculus Rift.

"Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in the company's official press statement. "Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate."

"We are excited to work with Mark and the Facebook team to deliver the very best virtual reality platform in the world," said Brendan Iribe, co-founder and CEO of Oculus VR. "We believe virtual reality will be heavily defined by social experiences that connect people in magical, new ways. It is a transformative and disruptive technology, that enables the world to experience the impossible, and it's only just the beginning."

The Oculus Rift has been in development since 2012, following a successful Kickstarter campaign that netted the company nearly $2.5 million in funding. The Rift has only been available in dev kit form thus far, with the final consumer model expected to hit the marketplace in late 2014/early 2015. Most recently, the company retained the services of longtime id Software figurehead John Carmack for the role of chief technology officer.

And now Facebook owns Oculus Rift. Facebook. Anyone else having a hard time parsing this one?

Staff
#1 Posted by Ceno (115 posts) -

Well shit.

#2 Posted by Crono11 (1648 posts) -

Wait wat...

#3 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (652 posts) -

.. Oh, no...

#4 Posted by thefriend (121 posts) -

I don't think I'm ok with this. CARMACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

#5 Posted by TheLastNeo (441 posts) -

wow...

#6 Posted by Shortbreadtom (777 posts) -

Oh no... oh no. I don't trust this possibly ground breaking technology to a company that states "mobile is the platform of today"

#7 Posted by Thaedor (5 posts) -

Was this posted a week early?

#8 Posted by Vessel28 (113 posts) -

This is a joke, right?

#9 Posted by Jeabusier (5 posts) -

Well, guess Oculus Rift sucks now.

#10 Posted by Muzhik (27 posts) -

Coming to oculus rift soon, farmville

#11 Posted by InternetDetective (353 posts) -

I don't want OR to be social. The whole reason I want it is so I can escape this world without having to kill myself. This is terrible news.

#12 Posted by ultron100 (11 posts) -

What the what?

#13 Posted by Muzhik (27 posts) -

Coming to oculus rift soon, farmville

#14 Posted by MariusK (13 posts) -

whaaaaaaaaat

#15 Edited by bluefoxxy (169 posts) -

Uhh.... What?

#16 Posted by kineticflow (54 posts) -

Why.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1021 posts) -

I don't like this at all

#18 Posted by John_Pits (8 posts) -

I was half expecting MS to go into business with Oculus VR, to try and cut into what Sony's doing. Personally, I find this whole VR stuff a bit of a gimmick and I'm not interested, unless they make massive leaps.

#19 Edited by EdgeZero (12 posts) -

I'm going to hope for the best on this one and think of all the money Facebook has that can develop this technology. But man, all I can think of is Oculus just quietly disappearing.

#20 Posted by kuyaglen (8 posts) -

Virtal Farmville!!!

#21 Posted by WSGEXE (140 posts) -

Does this mean John Carmack works for Facebook now?

#22 Posted by kylekrane (62 posts) -

no.gif

#23 Edited by leejunfan83 (965 posts) -

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Games are dead.

Just when VR might have had a chance, it gets fucked up.

#25 Posted by desoda (109 posts) -

Could be worse, I guess.

#26 Edited by Soulrivers (20 posts) -

Just damn. So unexpected.

#27 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

Weird.

Why?

#28 Posted by NickyDubz (272 posts) -

It was a hell of a run....

#29 Posted by AMyggen (3025 posts) -

John Carmack works for Facebook now.

#30 Edited by RecSpec (3816 posts) -

Long Live Morpheus.

#31 Posted by MatthewSerious (62 posts) -

Great! Now Facebook ads can encompass my entire field of view and the Rift feed can filter experiences based on what it wants me to see. I don't suppose backers can get their money back. Gross.

#32 Edited by Jamakan_Inc (84 posts) -

I don't even.

#33 Posted by samurai1000 (36 posts) -

Why Facebook? Are they looking to a virtual Facebook experience?

Seems an odd choice to invest in.

#34 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

Damn, that's crazy...

#35 Edited by Dujun (59 posts) -

Well, hopefully the Sony VR is good then.

#36 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

From other thread:

Uhhhh, what?

I can see it now, all Oculus middleware also coming with facebook notification hooks. In the middle of a deeply engrossing and terrifying moment in Alien: Isolation on the rift when "BING: YO DAWG CHECK OUT MY SWEET SELFIE"

#37 Posted by NickDynmo (176 posts) -

Um. What? Whoa. Why?

#38 Edited by loki_16 (20 posts) -

WTF!

#39 Edited by Pacmanlh (80 posts) -

Farmville with the Oculus Rift.

#40 Posted by crithon (3186 posts) -

with 2 billion buy out we are going to start reading key figure heads from Occulus VR leaving.

#41 Edited by Slunks (329 posts) -

Great. Just great.

#42 Posted by JonKrag (45 posts) -

Yeah, not dismissing it, but what the fuck? Seems kinda odd, good luck to them though!

#43 Posted by Rukus (88 posts) -

wat

#44 Edited by Bicycle_Repairman (162 posts) -

I... hmm well my opinion of facebook might color my view. But this is not positive news to me. really dont like this.

#45 Edited by pause422 (6181 posts) -

While jumping to immediate conclusions that this will affect things in a bad way is rather silly, I still don't sit well with it. Even just the idea of Oculus doing its own thing was better sounding to me than being ruled by some big company. Then of course there's the fact that its Facebook....

#46 Posted by AlexGBRO (296 posts) -

that came out of the blue

#47 Posted by Rufuscrim (21 posts) -

Imagine your news feed... In the 3rd dimension!

#48 Posted by OleMarthin (315 posts) -

wow

#49 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -

WTF, is Facebook just buying up everything...

#50 Posted by Beaudacious (928 posts) -

Um, wtf? What?,Why?...is this good?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.