Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

New Oculus Rift hardware shown at CES

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Apparently adds super technical sounding OLED screen that really helps reduce motion sickness as well as positional tracking sensors. More here.

Pretty stoked for this stuff to get released, as it seems like this is another dev prototype. Still, it must be getting closer....oh yes.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh hell yes. It looks even more like it came out of Ghost in the Shell. Jesus, who's designing the exterior of these things? Yoji Shinkawa?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz: They need to get them on the case with a matching Steambox I reckon, whoever it is :)

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Optical sensor for positional tracking huh? I assume the back of the Oculus also has IR emitters (reflectors?) even still, camera optics can be pretty flaky.

Maybe better off using the Sixence Stem system strapped to the Oculus head band for positional tracking.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Now we just need to wait for the VinCo virtual reality machine. It's only a matter of time now.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

I still don't get why they think they'll fix motion sickness by making the screen flashier - motion sickness is generally caused by the eyes and ears not detecting the same motion, and unless they get around to actually make the ears think they're feeling the same movement, they can reduce display latency all they want to no avail.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

Interesting. I think that's a smart move. Does sound like a more accurate way of representing how we process scenery. I look forward to one day seeing it in action.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I like how this thing looks now. Man I want a Rift BADLY.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a weird position of having less than zero interest in the Rift, while still hoping it succeeds at least well enough that people keep spending money on moving VR ideas forward. I have serious doubts that the potential audience is big enough for it to be anything more than a niche curiosity, but It'd be cool if it found wider purchase.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just want a commercial version out so I can buy it already.

valeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think that the Rift will have widespread appeal - even people who don't care about games are interested in it. Could be the next Wii.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By noizy
    @towersixteen said:

I'm in a weird position of having less than zero interest in the Rift, while still hoping it succeeds at least well enough that people keep spending money on moving VR ideas forward. I have serious doubts that the potential audience is big enough for it to be anything more than a niche curiosity, but It'd be cool if it found wider purchase.

As long as it's profitable and commercially viable, like HOTAS, racing wheels or other peripherals, it can still remain viable and supported by developers. If commercial engines (Unreal, Source, Unity, etc) supports it off the shelf, and designing interfaces for VR becomes a routine business it may not require too much investments for 3D first person games to support VR. I'll get one out of sheer curiosity.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

Since they keep improving the damn thing, I hope they have enough funding to allow them to get the commercial version juuuuust right instead of rushing to market.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I really hope a retail version of this thing makes it to the market this year. So exciting!

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By therealnelsk

@fisk0 said:

I still don't get why they think they'll fix motion sickness by making the screen flashier - motion sickness is generally caused by the eyes and ears not detecting the same motion, and unless they get around to actually make the ears think they're feeling the same movement, they can reduce display latency all they want to no avail.

Dude I don't mean to undermine you, but I trust the team of PHDs working full time on this vs your armchair gut science. The highest grade military technology is challenged by this stuff, it is not a simple problem.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OLED was pretty much a must for the final release due to the low persistence advantage over LCD (also not using thinks like localized dimming).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

basically this is john carmack's white whale.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Those additional 3 degrees of movement will do huge things for motion sickness. I can't even begin to describe how ill you feel when you move your head forwards and backwards in real life and the world you are looking at stays perfectly still. However, what will happen now if i turn all the way around?

The main issue that still remains is resolution. I don't think even 1080p will be enough with the screen that close to your face. Literally need a 4k panel in rhat thing.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I hope someone I know buys one of the damn things because I just can't seem to get excited for it or the even the very idea of VR and I feel like that may be due to the idea it's one of those things you have to see for yourself. With so many people losing their shit over the damn thing and going on and on and on about how it's going to be some sort of technology revolution, I figure there has to be something to this whole thing I'm just not getting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.