Oculus Co-Founder Tragically Killed in Weekend Accident

• 119 results
#51 Posted by MrHadouken (168 posts) -

Really sad news, R.I.P.

#52 Edited by LikeaSsur (1507 posts) -

That sucks. My condolences to his friends and family, even if that first paragraph in their statement is extraordinarily generic.

#53 Edited by Clockwork_saint (31 posts) -

Rest in peace. What a vision we've lost

#54 Posted by JuggaloAcidman (280 posts) -

This is awful. Oculus is about to be a household name.. Most of us want one! RIP!

#55 Posted by Jechtshot78 (42 posts) -

Horrible news. I wish his family the best and hope that his team members hit the ground running after all of this.

#56 Posted by Brackynews (4056 posts) -

@cloneslayer: Not dumb. Desensitized. It's a good headline because it leaves no reason to suspect in the 5 seconds after reading it that the victim was at fault or otherwise contributed to the situation.

Think of an alternate, more accurate and neutral headline: "...killed during police chase" that could imply a dozen awful things not spelled out. Keeping in mind that the last time we heard about some gaming guy in a car wreck it was a fiasco.

#57 Edited by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -

@luck702: it only took like 30 seconds to type dude.

@justinaquarius: Do you even know what aspergers is or did you just see that episode of South Park once?

#58 Edited by gabeyb (3 posts) -

Such a creative person with so much to give, murdered by the cruel stupidity of someone who can offer no justification for their existence. How sad—and even from this distance—infuriating. I feel for his family and friends.

#60 Edited by doe3879 (791 posts) -

as if last night's Game of Throne didnt' leave me sober enough

came onto Giantbomb today to see this.

WHHYYYYYYYYYY cruel world

#61 Edited by peritus (992 posts) -

That's really sad :( Rest in peace.

#62 Posted by Lingxor (422 posts) -

Good job on not using the terrible news broadcast picture that other sites have been using... made the guy look like a suspect in some crime.

#63 Posted by slayergnome (122 posts) -

This is very sad. There was a recent Stuff You Should Know podcast about police chases and how many unnecessary deaths come from them.

#64 Edited by Stimpack (838 posts) -

This was really terrible news =(

#65 Edited by GermanBomber (148 posts) -

RIP

#66 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1207 posts) -

@gabeyb said:

Such a creative person with so much to give, murdered by the cruel stupidity of someone who can offer no justification for their existence. How sad—and even from this distance—infuriating. I feel for his family and friends.

I can't put it any better.

#67 Posted by jeffrud (382 posts) -

What a horrible way to go. Mr. Reisse will hopefully live on in the memories of those who knew him, and in the lives he will have touched with Rift in the future.

#68 Edited by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

@vrikk said:

@mormonwarrior said:

Wait did the gang member or the police officer hit him? When I first read this on Twitter it sounded like he cop is who hit him but I may be totally mistaken.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. It's a bit confusing what actually happened. Was he IN the crash, or just a sad bystander that was too close to the action?

As far as I know, the gang members first hit two cars, then subsequently hit Reisse.

I would like to offer my humblest and most sincere apologies to his family, friends and co-workers at Oculus VR. Obviously a brilliant man who had so much more to contribute. Such a shame.

#70 Posted by shodan2020 (660 posts) -

Man, that's depressing. Best wishes to his friends and family.

#71 Edited by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

Ugh, gangmembers.

#72 Posted by Paindamnation (794 posts) -

He will be missed. Though he REALLY needed a haircut.

#73 Posted by Jondan (74 posts) -

Sad news. R.I.P. :(

#74 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

thats horrible, i hope those responsible get what coming to them, my thoughts go out to his friends family and colleagues in what i'm sure is a difficult time for all.

#75 Posted by nosebleed (15 posts) -

This certainly wasn't the first bit of gaming news I wanted to read on a Monday but life happens.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

#76 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

Ugh. What an awful way to go. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

#77 Posted by tourgen (4458 posts) -

run down by a couple pieces of human trash in a dodge charger. :/ Well that just sucks.

#78 Posted by chilipeppersman (1158 posts) -

RIP andrew, horrible news. Thats a really bad way to go.... hopefully they caught those guys who hit him.

#79 Edited by Rewcastle (399 posts) -

What an awful world we live in. Rest in peace.

#80 Posted by Hicks (7 posts) -

terrible news RIP Andrew

#81 Posted by Demoskinos (14722 posts) -

I heard about this as it broke on twitter late last week. Just really really tragic man. Just ugh. So much potential and such a bright mind taken from us by two pieces of garbage.

#82 Edited by Bobtoad1 (34 posts) -

@jonnyflash80: I believe i heard that they caught the gang members in the car after it struck him. I'm sure they and their friends are now enjoying staring down a felony murder charge in addition to whatever else is on their list, scumbags.

#83 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3233 posts) -

Utterly awful, he was obviously a brilliant man. I hope the Rift can be a success so his memory and hard work can be honored. Rest in Peace.

#84 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2490 posts) -

It's stories like this that make me realize just how horrible so much of the human race is.

For someone so brilliant to be taken out by two low-down criminals is just an utter shame. Yet, so many people seem to have this natural tendency to be violent, or aggressive. Why do we as humans feel the need to be this way, instead of simply living in peace?
It's a truly horrible thing, especially when something like this happens.

Rest in peace Andrew. I hope the Oculus Rift will be a success to honor his name.

#85 Posted by snarekick (96 posts) -

RIP

#86 Posted by Batalskar (58 posts) -

A terrible loss. Such an artistic mind gone, but to a better place. Rest in Peace, and much prayer to his loved ones.

#88 Edited by maxB (298 posts) -

That's terrible. RIP.

#89 Posted by Lanechanger (454 posts) -

God damn that is tragic, RIP duder :(

*pours one out*

#90 Posted by gizmo88 (96 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

Kind of a bit late with this one Scoopz man

Doesnt make it any less tragic what happened to the guy though :(

Dude are you serious? Get a life you weirdo.

#92 Posted by Raven10 (1759 posts) -

@vrikk said:

@mormonwarrior said:

Wait did the gang member or the police officer hit him? When I first read this on Twitter it sounded like he cop is who hit him but I may be totally mistaken.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. It's a bit confusing what actually happened. Was he IN the crash, or just a sad bystander that was too close to the action?

According to ABC the gang members were on probation and had warrants out for their arrest. Cops approached them to arrest them and one of the gang members shot and killed one of the cops. They then fled the scene with cops in pursuit. The gangsters ran several red lights, smashing into two cars in the process, before running the red light through which Reisse was crossing on his daily walk and hit and killed him. Such a fucking tragic story. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

#93 Posted by FormulaDeuce (235 posts) -

A tragedy indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

#95 Edited by TravisRex (25 posts) -

Haven't seen anyone else bring it up. What does this mean for the Oculus Rift? He was lead engineer, those are decently big shoes.

#96 Posted by Itwongo (1158 posts) -

RIP. His work may very well usher in an era of entertainment that has only existed in science fiction.

#97 Edited by Luck702 (420 posts) -

@cloneslayer: We're just baffled that your angry over an adjective.

#98 Edited by Kiri90 (256 posts) -

@tayls said:

Terrible news. He was a brilliant mind, taken out by a pile of shit.

Yeah, this is how I feel too.

#99 Posted by lachrymoses (53 posts) -

It really is a shame to die with your beard in such an awful state.

#100 Posted by JoelHulsey (67 posts) -

What a waste of such incredible talent just to get wiped out by total asshats who the world would be such a better place if they just vanished.

My thoughts go out to Andrew's family.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.