Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Oculus Sharply Responds to ZeniMax Allegations

• 122 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@crithon said:

Lets just step away from Zenimax looking like a scorn lover, but this is common for corporations to tack actions at former employees attempting to do the same work for another company. And Zenimax gets the impression that Carmack is doing the same thing he was paid to do while he was working for them. Usually companies like this have a long grace period because of sensitive materials that can be leaked from company to another. And cases like this are common and it's all told well in advance even before you become an employee.

And even if it's actually going to be professional...... Zenimax shouldn't have done this out in the open, it's basically just making it look like they are a ex-boyfriends who got dumped and are crying in front of their window. I've seen it happen to a couple of people, and I've never seen this happen this open.

They should have done it behind close doors.

That never would've happened. Even if they did try and do it behind closed doors, Reddit-Batman and his partner Gaf-boy would be on the case digging it up.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@crithon said:

Lets just step away from Zenimax looking like a scorn lover, but this is common for corporations to tack actions at former employees attempting to do the same work for another company. And Zenimax gets the impression that Carmack is doing the same thing he was paid to do while he was working for them. Usually companies like this have a long grace period because of sensitive materials that can be leaked from company to another. And cases like this are common and it's all told well in advance even before you become an employee.

And even if it's actually going to be professional...... Zenimax shouldn't have done this out in the open, it's basically just making it look like they are a ex-boyfriends who got dumped and are crying in front of their window. I've seen it happen to a couple of people, and I've never seen this happen this open.

They should have done it behind close doors.

That never would've happened. Even if they did try and do it behind closed doors, Reddit-Batman and his partner Gaf-boy would be on the case digging it up.

and then that would be effective journalism.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

Oculus basically exists now as a wager. It's possible (and I'd say pretty likely) that when the consumer version is released they might not sell enough fast enough to keep the company afloat. If their public image is marred by something like this, it just helps to make that potential outcome more certain.

Look, I don't like Facebook either. I don't use it. And I honestly think that that kind of social media can be damaging to a person. But I don't hate Facebook. You clearly do. And it's wildly skewing your opinion of what is a completely appropriate response to public allegations of illegal activity.

I seriously doubt that this will any affect at all on OR's final release sales.
    People underestimate the demand for OR, it's all kinds of crazy...

Devkit 2.0 is currently open for pre-order, they keep on stressing that it's "not an consumer product, only for developers!" but that won't phase anybody. Pre-ordering now will get you an Devkit 2.0 in August this year the soonest.

OR has a product that's "all the hot shit" and will stay "the hot shit" for a foreseeable future. Sure there are some competitors, but those can't really keep up with OR in terms of quality of the product. Right now OR can't even supply all the demand that's present, even if they actually wanted to, because there are simply not enough suppliers for screens.

This will get even worse with every new OR iteration released. Their final goal being something like "4k on 100 hz for $300", for those the supply will be even WORSE.
    While the shortage of supply sometimes ends up working against a product, in the case of OR it's working for it in all the right ways.

The real question that actually remains: Is the final 4k/100hz/$300 version just an hoax, or is it actually viable from an economic point of view?

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Nethlem

@xyzygy said:

I don't care who was right and who was wrong in this; I am not touching Oculus as long as Facebook owns it. I will gladly wait until a company that doesn't own and share the information of billions of people comes out with its version.

But the idea behind facebook is that its users all willingly share their own information so your statement doesn't really seem valid. To not support a product that will probably be a turning point in video games for such a reason is really disturbing and its frustrating that you arent the only person who holds such a view

"Willingly" is such an nice word, considering that the majority of people on Facebook have no clue at all that their personal information is being sold. They believe that setting things to "private" or deleting them is enough to prevent that information from being spread by Facebook.

It get's even worse when Facebook goes out of their way to get the information you won't "willingly" supply to them, like buying up WhatsApp and thus the mobile numbers of it's whole userbase.

Let's also not ignore the biggest elephant in the room: Zuckerberg's "ideas" about what to use OR for. A virtual mall with virtual adds popping at you, in 3D!

Sorry but that's not a VR future i'm gonna support, it's just so unimaginative and so damn greedy that i get a urge to puke just thinking about it. If you want Zuckerberg's ideas inside VR, then you will be damning VR to be the "Social Media Games 2.0". Anybody still remember those? That's really the direction you want VR gaming to move!?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: While true that that would've been effective journalism, we'd still end up in the same situation. There was no way this wouldn't have gone public and the same conversations wouldn't have happened.

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nethlem said:

@polyesterpimp said:

@xyzygy said:

I don't care who was right and who was wrong in this; I am not touching Oculus as long as Facebook owns it. I will gladly wait until a company that doesn't own and share the information of billions of people comes out with its version.

But the idea behind facebook is that its users all willingly share their own information so your statement doesn't really seem valid. To not support a product that will probably be a turning point in video games for such a reason is really disturbing and its frustrating that you arent the only person who holds such a view

"Willingly" is such an nice word, considering that the majority of people on Facebook have no clue at all that their personal information is being sold. They believe that setting things to "private" or deleting them is enough to prevent that information from being spread by Facebook.

It get's even worse when Facebook goes out of their way to get the information you won't "willingly" supply to them, like buying up WhatsApp and thus the mobile numbers of it's whole userbase.

Let's also not ignore the biggest elephant in the room: Zuckerberg's "ideas" about what to use OR for. A virtual mall with virtual adds popping at you, in 3D!

Sorry but that's not a VR future i'm gonna support, it's just so unimaginative and so damn greedy that i get a urge to puke just thinking about it. If you want Zuckerberg's ideas inside VR, then you will be damning VR to be the "Social Media Games 2.0". Anybody still remember those? That's really the direction you want VR gaming to move!?

Look, the people at Oculus have said that the reason they opted to be bought was because Facebook said that they would let the Oculus people do what they do without interfering with the potential bullshit you speak of. That's not to say that the ideas you mentioned won't happen. They might. But let's wait and see what really happens before getting outraged.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jesus_phish: well..... unless Zenimax is intending on ruining Oculus and Facebook? I doubt that, I really doubt anyone is out to destroy one another even if they counter sue. Although making it public really does just come off as a threat until the plaintiff gets a buy out and that's just so childish especially this is a case where it'd just end up listing up work scheduled hours and scripting codes. Because..... we can easily load up the Carmack interview with Brad and take a look at the duct tape prototype they claims that Oculus now has.

Jeaious Ex Boyfriend crying at a window again. Hehe, I doubt Valve is suing Oculus over Michael Abrash leaving. Remember a lot of people claimed that Valve's VR headset was more advance then Oculus Rift before the 1080p version.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By spraynardtatum

@generic_username said:

@spraynardtatum: It's just quite clear that your opinion is tainted by the whole Facebook thing. I don't think it's at all reasonable to expect them to handle this sort of thing privately, while the accusations being thrown their way are very clearly NOT private. You seem to be assuming that I think your opinion is crazy because I just want to shit all over Zenimax, but I don't give a fuck about that. It's another cooperation. I think your opinion is crazy because you think that a company being bought by another company immediately makes every action it does some immature "parents arguing in front of their kids" thing, when really it's a PR thing. Staying quiet is in no way "acting like fucking adults" like you say. That's crazy. These are publicly traded companies, and Zenimax is picking a very public fight.

Also, how the fuck does handling it "privately" make them look better? That makes them look worse to literally everyone, yourself included, because you've made it clear that you hate Oculus just because they got bought.

Don't act like everyone is jumping on some Zenimax hate-train when this is clearly spawned from a Facebook hate-train. Your comments are very clearly colored by your feelings on the buyout, and I'm not some "Zenimax-hater" for coming to that conclusion. I couldn't care less about which companies are doing this, I just think your expectations are extremely skewed by something completely unrelated to this actual story.

First of all. Everyone is absolutely jumping on a Zenimax hate-train. Look at the comments in here. At the very least they're jumping on a Zenimax-is-lying-train.

I'm going to stand by my "crazy" opinion that we don't have enough information to say who did what and we probably never will. And I'd like to reiterate that I never said Facebook shouldn't do anything. I just think handling it like this, making their statement one of the biggest stories on the internet (this statement was absolutely everywhere yesterday), was shitty. I also think it's a false premise to say something like this couldn't have been handled privately. That is not true. Especially if this case is as open and shut as they're saying. If they sat down with Zenimax and showed them all of this evidence that they're claiming to have right now than they could have gotten it thrown out and let the story speak for itself. Then they look like the bigger man at the end of the day and more respectful. Without playing the billionaire victim. Instead they decided to juice up the plot and turn this into some theatrical war that the internet will lap up vigorously and hatefully.

Don't worry. Oculus is going to be fine in all this. They're Facebook now.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By GaspoweR

OH DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111  Edited By patrick

@nethlem said:

@polyesterpimp said:

@xyzygy said:

Hold on, let me just throw this post into the definition for FUD real quick.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

On the one hand, Zenimax is being more than a bit petty.

On t he other hand, I can't bring myself to root for any company connected to Facebook.

So, is there any way they can both fail here?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Oculus SLAMS Zenimax over Allegations

If this was any other website I feel this would be the headline. I don't know why this is a journalism thing.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I hate to be "that girl," but...

Look, the people at Oculus have said that the reason they opted to be bought was because Facebook said that they would let the Oculus people do what they do without interfering with the potential bullshit you speak of. That's not to say that the ideas you mentioned won't happen. They might. But let's wait and see what really happens before getting outraged.

Yes, and EA promised not to meddle in BioWare's game making process, and look where we are now...

Promises are easy to break once you're the owner. Just because the salespeople said all the right things doesn't mean Occulus rift isn't going to be steered away from hardcore gaming now that the money's changed hands.

Not that it matters to me, as I've no interest in VR, but either you or the Occulus people are very, very naive to expect that there won't be any meddling from the upper office. You make a deal with the devil, you better expect he's going to get his.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's worth noting as well, that the examples of given of what Facebook would do with OR (virtual malls etc) were said by the CEO of the company in his official statement on the buyout.

Torabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't aware of the fact that the Rift source code is available. No way Zenimax can get anything out of this when the source code is out there as proof that there is nothing in there that was done by Zenimax.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Nethlem

@patrick said:

@nethlem said:

Hold on, let me just throw this post into the definition for FUD real quick.

There is nothing "FUD" about a lot of the complaints brought up against Facebook in the past, feel free to read up on the details about the specific claim regarding privacy/deleted content.

There is a reason Facebook is signed up as an Irish company in Europe, besides mere tax-advantages, have you seen what the offices of the Data Protection Commission in Ireland looks like?

No Caption Provided

This "institution" is supposed to regulate an multinational, several billion dollar heavy, company? In your dreams buddy... in your dreams.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By umdesch4

"Instead they decided to juice up the plot and turn this into some theatrical war that the internet will lap up vigorously and hatefully."

That's an interesting piece of revisionist history. Hell, I was talking to my parents a few days ago, who are retired and know next to nothing about this stuff, and they mentioned "what's this about the Doom guy and his VR headset...not that Google glasses thing, but the other thing with the weird name...he's getting sued or something?"

If they know about it, it was already in mainstream theatrics far beyond anything this latest bit added to the show.

Your extreme bias is showing.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Sounds like ZeniMax has started something they can't finish.

Avatar image for deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154
    deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZeniMax is hands down one of the most disgusting companies out there. They get a free pass with most gamers because they're behind the Elder Scrolls/ Fallout games. I knew id Software was screwed when they sold their soul to those scumbags, and I was surprised Carmack stayed as long as he did.

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By FidusLingura

Gotta admit when this thing started, I kinda guessed Oculus would respond with a good defence given the circumstances. But there was no way I was expecting them to just strut in pull out this amazing, seemingly water tight statement. Then seem to simply just drop the mic and leave ZeniMax choking. This is just excellent!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By spraynardtatum
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#127  Edited By Dagbiker

@castiel said:

Sounds like ZeniMax has started something they can't finish.

You mean an open world game?

BOOM!!!!

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When money is involved the lawyers come out to play. For them its a win/win situation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.