Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jan 25, 2005

A spin-off of the Oddworld series, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath attaches an unrelated shooter to the beloved franchise as players undertake the role of a mysterious bounty hunter known as Stranger, who seeks to make a living in Oddworld's rugged West.

Enhanced remake coming to PS3 next easter.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Steve_C

Great news for me. Back in July, it was announced that UK-developer Just Add Water were partnering with Oddworld Inhabitants, with a multitude of products in development across several platforms.

Today, September 3rd, we see the first fruits of this partnership, with JAW announcing on their website that an enhanced remake of Stranger's Wrath will arrive download-only on the PS3, scheduled for next easter. It will feature 720p visuals, with graphics improved across the board with more detail and effects. It will have remastered dialogue, PlayStation Move support, and "plenty" of brand new bonus content.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've always loved the Oddworld games for their style and atmosphere, but me having a PS2, I never got to play this back in the day. I briefly saw it a friend's house, but he never bothered finishing the game himself. Rubbing it in or what! Needless to say, i'm happy about getting a chance to play this properly, and Move support is a pleasant surprise.

Here are some new screens:

Release from JAW's website:

"Do be a Stranger – Oddworld returns! 

OTLEY, WEST YORKSHIRE, UK – 3rd September, 2010 – Just Add Water (JAW) is thrilled to announce the return of the critically-acclaimed Oddworld series – with an enhanced remake of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation®3 next Easter.

Originally released in 2005, first- and third-person action-adventure Stranger’s Wrath marks the multi-million-selling series’ first appearance on a PlayStation® console since 1998’s Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus. The game will be made available as a digital download via PlayStation® Network.

Stewart Gilray, Managing Director of JAW, said: “Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

JAW has worked closely with Oddworld founders Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to ensure the remake is faithful to the original moolah-chasing epic, while offering a raft of enhancements, including: stunning 720p visuals; much more detail in the characters; normal mapping and self-shadowing; re-mastered dialogue, support for PlayStation®Move; and additional bonus material still to be revealed.

In Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, players step into the role of the Stranger, a rough and tumble bounty hunter who tracks down outlaws for moolah. Using a special weapons system that gives a whole new meaning to “live” ammo, players encounter deviant species and hostile challenges along the way.

The 2005 original has a Metacritic rating of 88, was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Animation at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences’ Interactive Achievement Awards, and received numerous awards from the gaming press.

[ABOUT JAW] Boasting over 100 years’ combined development experience, from handheld projects all the way to multi-format AAA titles, the JAW team’s portfolio includes releases such as: Pinball Fantasies, Spec Ops, PowerMonger, Synnergist and Soldier of Fortune. The studio’s most recent release was the well-received PSN retro-shooter Gravity Crash."

Anyone out there miss the chance to play the original like me? Happy with the continuing Move support? It certainly gives me hope for the peripheral.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I was considering buying an original Xbox specifically to play this at one point.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Tordah

Nice. I only played the Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssee game.

I've never been able to find Stranger's Wrath for a reasonable price, so I guess it's a pretty rare find these days.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

*bows*

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By get2sammyb

Yep, it's getting PlayStation Move support too. It's a bit of a strange announcement but I look forward to seeing what the fuss is all about.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By fjordson

Fuck yes. Legendary game. Would have liked an XBLA release, but I can deal.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By markini6
    Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Timing
    @markini6: Those are the same screenshots Steve_C posted in his link. Edit: Except without watermarks as he pointed out, so that's good I guess.

Also, holy crap this is awesome! I was very lucky to find a new copy of this game for a reasonable price last year, and I thought (like all major Oddworld games) that it was awesome. Only bad thing was the quality (technically speaking) of the voices, which seems like something that could easily be fixed in a remake. Still, I really hope the Move support stays just that, namely support, and that it isn't forced upon us.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It seems I can't get lucky with Strangers Wrath. Last generation I had a PS2 and no Xbox, so I couldn't play Strangers Wrath, despite being a huuuuge oddworld fan. This generation I have a 360, but no PS3. Oddworld Inhabitants were supposed to be working on PC ports of Munch's Oddysee and Strangers Wrath to be released in a package called the OddBox. They had better still be working on that. I WANT TO PLAY STRANGERS WRATH GODDAMNIT!!!!

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Steve_C
    @markini6: Cheers dude. I saw those earlier on VG247, but they were watermarked. These ones however, are good. Adding them to OP in a sec.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Lets hope Microsoft gets off their ass and gets this as an XBLA release as well.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

Depending on the price point, this could be a good buy.  It'd have to be no more than $30 since (a) it's a previously made game and (b) it's download only.  The God of War games were $40 but there were two games on the disc and the Sly Cooper Collection which has 3 games will also be priced at $40.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.