First Abe's Oddysee New 'n' Tasty Gameplay

#1 Edited by Timing (619 posts) -

The first footage of the Abe's Oddysee remake was shown earlier today at the Eurogamer Expo. Keep in mind that this is 'pre-alpha footage' and that the particle effects are "entirely place-holder and done at ten o'clock on Friday morning".

Some new screenshots were released as well, courtesy of Eurogamer:

There was also a great speech by series creator Lorne Lanning and some more about the future of the franchise from J.A.W.'s Stewart Gilray, which you can watch below.

Abe's Oddysee New 'n' Tasty (which will be the game's official title) will be released in Autumn of 2013 on PC, PS3, Vita and XBLA (!). You can read some more about the reveal of the game here.

#2 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I'd rather have a whole new adventure in the style of Oddysee and Exodus to be honest. I'll see how many changes they make before I start getting excited.

#3 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

That looks fucking amazing. Sold. Sold. Sold. Love me some Oddworld, just wish the PC port of Munch wasn't complete shit as I loved Munch.

#4 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

@JerichoBlyth said:

I'd rather have a whole new adventure in the style of Oddysee and Exodus to be honest. I'll see how many changes they make before I start getting excited.

If Lanning and Gilray are to be believed, changes should be plentiful. The switch from flip-screen to side scroller alone should change a lot of the puzzles, and in his presentation Gilray also promised "Richer Gamespeak and a few surprises..." which they'll talk about more in the coming year.

#5 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

I just saw this and was excited, but now I'm upset that the game isn't exactly the same! The animations didn't seem as snappy as they were in the original and no separate screens? Blasphemy!

Well aside from those things it looks great and I'm still really excited about it, that talk was also reassuring in a few ways. They seem to know what they're doing so I hope it all goes well for them.

#6 Posted by Twiggy199 (498 posts) -

I don't normally like to abbreviate but OMFG!.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (7404 posts) -

I love that Lorne uses the term PSX instead of PS1, just like me.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET ME MORE GOOD ODDWORLD GAMES LORNE. PLEEEEEEEEASE!

#8 Posted by crithon (3190 posts) -

Oh wow. That looks beautiful, wondering what's the video settings on it. It doesn't look like Trine 2 level of heavy amount of effects, but looks nice.

#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

Aside from the purely technical aspects of the graphics, that looks extremely similar to the original. It's a huge testament to the original art direction that it looks so good updated.

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by TwoLines (2810 posts) -

I ain't gonna lie, I like what I'm seeing.

#11 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

God damn homie. Sold.

#12 Edited by TheHT (11238 posts) -

:O

i want it. also his chanting sounds like vortigaunts. i now also want a half-life/oddworld crossover.

#13 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Looks great. Can't wait.

#14 Posted by Mister_V (1283 posts) -

Oh man that brings back memory's looks great

#15 Posted by Sanj (2387 posts) -

Omg that looks fantastic.

#16 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

Oh man that brings back memory's looks great

Does it ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.