valkyriegoddess's Odin Sphere (PlayStation 2) review

• valkyriegoddess wrote this review on .

Ragnarök has been Avoided

I wasn’t expecting much from this game when I picked it up off the self in a local Game Stop. I figured it would just be another disappointment but I took the chance and bought it anyway. And I have to say that I’m glad I did.

I enjoyed this game immensely. The artwork was beautiful and the characters almost seem alive. The battles are instantaneous instead of turn based which for me is a plus.  The graphics are smooth and the overall story is quite enthralling. I also liked how the stage map is a loop because how can I get lost when the entire stage is just one big circle.

There are a few things that did bother me about the game though. The girl who reads the books is named Alice and for some reason that just kept making my mind wander to Alice in Wonderland. I also didn’t like the fact that I could not just chose who I wanted to play but instead had to complete the first character’s story to open up the next character.  I also found it rather troublesome to play Prince Cornelius second because he seemed to be the most difficult character.

But other than these few minor annoyances this game managed to work it’s way up to the top of my Favorites list. If you haven’t played this game yet you are definitely missing out on a unique experience.