Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ōkami

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 18, 2006

Ōkami is an action-adventure game in which the goddess Amaterasu restores life and beauty to a world that has been taken over by malevolent beings through the power of celestial calligraphy techniques.

Okami HD on PSN is released today.

• 51 results
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Just a heads up, the PSN HD version of Okami releases October 30. It's $19.99 in the US, so for those who haven't or want to relive the magic, there you go. I know there is a plethora of other things to buy today, but hey, I got $20 to spare for one of my favorite games of all time.

I've been playing it and the HD does look gorgeous. A lot of the framerate issues have been dealt with. I don't know how it stacks to the Wii version, as I never played that, but it still looks amazing on my PS3. So there you have it@!

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShinjiEx

Capcom over charges :(

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That seems a bit much even though it is a very good game. Have they added anything extra to it like special features or having move support so it plays like the wii version?

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By bibamatt

@Blimble said:

That seems a bit much even though it is a very good game. Have they added anything extra to it like special features or having move support so it plays like the wii version?

Move support is in it, for sure!

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By c_rakestraw

@Blimble said:

It's got Move support. Otherwise it's the same as the PS2 version just in HD.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By ShinjiEx

Upscale or actual HD remake?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous

Not sure how you guys can say it's too much when the PS2 version is still $20 on amazon.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meltac

@ShinjiEx said:

Upscale or actual HD remake?

I would like to know this too.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By bed

nice! i bought a 20$ PSN card a while back for.. well, absolutely no reason at the time but now it all makes sense!

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By bibamatt

@ShinjiEx: Nothing remade, as far as I've seen. It's Okami, rendered in HD. I've heard previously that it's native 1080p, I'm not 100% sure though. Apparently it looks beautiful.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nottle

@Bobby_The_Great: I've never played Okami and I'm thinking about getting this sometime this week. Do you know if the credits are still in like the PS2 release or are they out like the Wii release?

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By djou

@Bobby_The_Great: I'm really tempted to pick this up but I've read articles that say it takes 40-60 hours to make it through the game. I don't necessarily mind a long campaign but I hate it when there's a ton of padding. Is this the case? This seems like the type of game loaded with fetch quest and scavenger hunting collectibles.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cannonballbam

@Nottle: I believe the HD port was done by capcom internal so I don't think they will have any ready at dawn credits in it. The more I think of what they did, it reminds me what a sad day for gaming that was.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By me3639

BOOM! Really loving all the HD release i have played and looking forward to finally playing this classic for the first time.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Everyone who hasn't played it should get it.

@djou said:

This seems like the type of game loaded with fetch quest and scavenger hunting collectibles.

Definitely not, at least not that I remember. The game does feel a bit long, though, but it's not because of arbitrary padding. I think it was said that Capcom wanted to make multiple games in an "Okami" series but they decided to cram basically everything into one.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nottle

@djou: I've yet to play the game but the only complaint I've heard about it is that the first cutscene is 15 minutes long clicking through text. After that it's a homage to Zelda. To me that sounds pretty cool and Zelda games are lengthy. But I like Zelda.

@cannonballBAM: Ok. Thats good. I heard the credits in Okami are beautiful.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By djou

Hmm, very encouraging... now I definitely will check it out. Thanks.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By 49th

I really love Okami. Sadly I never got around to finishing it since it kept having pretend endings where there was suddenly another bad guy to extend the game another 10 hours. It was too long for me probably.

Also, really easy game now that I think about it. I maybe died once in the 30-40 hours I played. Definately worth experiencing though.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rainbowkisses

I would pick this up but I still haven't finished Darksiders or Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, and I don't really need to add a third Zelda clone to my backlog. It's great to hear that is has Move compatability though.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jasonefmonk

I can't see it on the store yet, but I'm buying it as soon as it shows. Okami is a game I bought late on PS2, and never finished it. I picked it up on Wii thinking that it would be a great place to continue, but the combat controls were brutal.

Here I'm making my stand haha.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dixavd

Don't understand how some people think this is too high a price - usually HD remakes go on sale for $40, I'm pretty surprised this is $20 - it seems like a much more fairer price. The best part it seems to me is that for the UK it seems they haven't just taken the american price and replaced the $ sign for a £ sign, instead actually pricing it at £15 rather than £20 (I've been pretty surprised how many have been released at $40 and £40 over here). It isn't worth a purchase from me because I have already finished it and still have it on the PS2 with a backwards-compatible PS3; but I am glad a HD release has come out (and I do hope it sells well so another game in the franchise can be made).

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

I have the Wii Version pretty much untouched, but I'll probably be stupid and buy the PS3 version. From what I hear the Controller is better than the Move Wand, plus hey looks nicer.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Any ideas on file size anyone?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By SMTDante89

@IAmNotBatman: According to the PS Blog, about 6.2 GB

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YoungFrey

@Dixavd said:

Don't understand how some people think this is too high a price - usually HD remakes go on sale for $40, I'm pretty surprised this is $20 - it seems like a much more fairer price. The best part it seems to me is that for the UK it seems they haven't just taken the american price and replaced the $ sign for a £ sign, instead actually pricing it at £15 rather than £20 (I've been pretty surprised how many have been released at $40 and £40 over here). It isn't worth a purchase from me because I have already finished it and still have it on the PS2 with a backwards-compatible PS3; but I am glad a HD release has come out (and I do hope it sells well so another game in the franchise can be made).

Totally agree. New copies of the PS2 version go for $20. What more could a person reasonably want?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#27  Edited By jacksukeru

That game had so much stuff in it! I don't think I'll ever replay it but it's fun to think back at some of its high points once in a while. Oh, and listen to that beautiful ending theme.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

I'd love to play this again, but I have a lot of stuff to finish. One of the best games ever made, but a 50-60 hour game in the middle of all the big game releases... who on earth thought that was a good idea.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#29  Edited By metalsnakezero

50% download complete, can't wait!

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By CountRockula

I'm pretty sure this wraps things up for me with regard to last gen games I wanted in HD.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By spiceninja

Okami is so long I couldn't beat it on PS2. Got a little farther in the Wii version but didn't make it. I'll be getting the HD version and this time I'm going to finish it for sure.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ExplodeMode
    No Caption Provided

The only hard part of the game. The last time I 'fought' him, I had to use a dry erase marker on my CRT.

Still, the game is a no brainer if you like Zelda games.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus

NO MONEY FOR  ŌKAMI UNTIL THURSDAY :(

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EVO

@ExplodeMode: Haha, fuck that thing. I think I had to film it on my phone.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sweetz

@ShinjiEx: @Meltac: @bibamatt: No textures or models have been redone if that's what you mean. However, it is native 1080p. They also toned down the rice paper filter a bit and upped the saturation on colors - similar to the Wii version. Those two changes are subjective as to whether you'll like them I suppose. It doesn't look quite as much like a water color painting, but it's way more crisp and vibrant. As a huge fan of Okami, I'm personally good with the changes, the game looks amazing on an HDTV. Because it's going for a distinct visual style and not photorealism, it still holds up.

@djou: There is optional collectable hunting and a very minimal amount of backtracking. However the game does not feel padded at all. It simply has a ton of content, there's a staggering number of areas in the game. As a person who has played every major Zelda game except Skyward Sword, I can say that Okami is my favorite Zelda game of them all - even better than beloved OoT ;)

@Nottle: @cannonballBAM: Obviously I can't confirm myself at this early point, but according to this articlethe original credits are in.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By BoG

Maybe I'll consider this at some point. I purchased Okami on PS2 day one, and found it really boring, and too easy. I want to love it so badly, perhaps it deserves a second shot.

blarghman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blarghman

I bought the HD edition not expecting it to look as much nicer than the Wii version as it does, but I was pleasantly surprised! I think it is a substantial improvement, though it's been a while since I played it on the Wii. $20 seemed about right, but I'm not exactly objective, given that this is one of my favourite games of all time.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@ShinjiEx: there's $20 of entertainment in there

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aegon

A while after playing it I realized it's my fave game of all time, but I still have a PS2, I still have the game, and I've played through it 2 or 3 times.

@EVO said:

@ExplodeMode: Haha, fuck that thing. I think I had to film it on my phone.

Yeah, I took a picture I think, but even then I'm not sure if I got all the dots on the pic at once. So I may have had to memorize some of them.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vexxan

At $20 I'd say this game is a steal but I played through the original about one year ago so I'm not looking to pick this up...yet.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Meltac

@Sweetz: Sounds good. I'm pretty sure I am going to buy this then, since it's been over 4 years since I completed it.

Avatar image for icarustheranger
    icarustheranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By icarustheranger

I never played this back in the day, and have always been dying to try it, I'll have to give it a shot.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm sort of tempted, but I played the Wii version, and I actually really liked the Wii controls. I think I read that this version has Move support, but I don't have a Move.

Also, I don't know that I want to re-play this game in HD enough to re-buy it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By c_rakestraw

@Nottle said:

@Bobby_The_Great: I've never played Okami and I'm thinking about getting this sometime this week. Do you know if the credits are still in like the PS2 release or are they out like the Wii release?

The original credits are there. Capcom confirmed as much during one the times they were streaming the game at events.

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By KingX

I never got to play this on the ps2 for some reason but reading all the great reviews about this HD version I picked it up yesterday. And wow.. this game is awsome!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ThunderSlash

@C_Rakestraw said:

@Nottle said:

The original credits are there. Capcom confirmed as much during one the times they were streaming the game at events.

According to a few sources, it seems like the credits are there, but the original song is replaced.

Here are some sources I found:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/674775-okami-hd/64503131

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/okami-hd/178258-credits-question.html

Can a duder confirm this?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By c_rakestraw

@ThunderSlash said:

@C_Rakestraw said:

@Nottle said:

According to a few sources, it seems like the credits are there, but the original song is replaced.

Here are some sources I found:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/674775-okami-hd/64503131

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/okami-hd/178258-credits-question.html

Can a duder confirm this?

Yep. That is indeed the indeed the case, unfortunately. Saw it for myself when I beat the game.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Barrock

I've not played this. Is this the version to get?

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Meltac

@Barrock said:

I've not played this. Is this the version to get?

I've played it for about 12 hours now, and I would say yes. Granted it's more than 4 years ago I played the PS2 version, but so far the PS3 version has been superb. Really, really crisp visuals in 1080p.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sweetz

Just finished the game today. Got all trophies and clocked in at just over 35 hours. Still loved the game and it holds up brilliantly. The only thing that really stuck out as being old fashioned is not being able to speed up the text rate in cutscenes. I'm sure they did that for timing/animation purposes because making individual pieces of cutscenes,er, speed-up-able is rather difficult, but it's still annoying when you've already played the game and know the story.

Technical quality is great. Game runs 1080p 60fps. Every once in a rare while the game will drop below 60fps (into the 50s at worst) and you'll get some tearing as a result (it uses dynamic vsync), but nowhere near as bad as say Uncharted 1. There's no reason whatsoever to go back to the PS2 version, this is better in every way with no downsides except one inconsequential thing...which is the original credits song being replaced. I don't know what the heck that's about, maybe they couldn't re-secure from the singer or something; in it's place you just get some recycled game music.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.