You would buy Okami HD from the PSN?

#1 Edited by mushroomyakuza (22 posts) -

This is a serious question. I bought Okami on the PS2 and just never got round to playing it. Later when it came out on the Wii, I bought that edition too only to find myself in the same situation. By that time I'd got an HDTV and knew that playing my PS2 on that TV or through the emotion engine on the PS3 would look ugly, not at all how a game so aesthetic should appear.

I give Sony full credit for making a great effort with recent HD remasters and collections (barring RE4, which is just lame), but the one game that consistently stands out to me as being absent is Okami. I know Clover Studios shut down not long after the game's release, but that the game was later published for the Wii is a clear indicator that the rights are still available etc.

I can only speak for myself here, but I have often wondered, is anybody else just itching for this game to get the beautiful HD upgrade it deserves? If so, how much would you be willing to pay for it? I'd be willing to go as far as paying £20 without a second's thought, and might even go further were it actually released.

A while back I was searching for a petition to get the game brought out onto the PSN, or at least some version of a HD remastering, but there seems to be no such campaign for it. Can a game as universally praised and gorgeous as this really be allowed to pass us all by and fall into the cracks of time? I think it deserves better, but does anybody else?

#2 Posted by ddensel (388 posts) -

Okami is a game I've always wanted to play, but never had a PS2 or a Wii.

Yes, I would buy it..... if it was on 360.

#3 Edited by jasondaplock (263 posts) -

If Okami were to get an HD release, it would need some actual designer love to be worth showing. The graphical style is beautiful, but it looked muddy even on the PS2.

I would absolutely put down cold hard spacebucks for a copy if they actually fixed it up.

#4 Posted by Pepsiman (2491 posts) -

Considering the Wii version actually lost an entire graphical layer because the team couldn't find the complete source code for the PS2 version and the original credits sequence for most territories was cut because of even odder circumstances, I'm not sure I'd honestly want to see Capcom attempt an HD version, if only because of the string of bad luck that seems to be attached to that particular game. I certainly love that game dearly and if an HD version did come out that lacked these issues, you can be certain I'd pay for that. That being said, I've seen screenshots of the game uprezzing tacked onto it and it seems to still look great that way. Maybe Capcom should just release the original PS2 version on PSN and take it from there?

That muddiness was at least partially intentional since the PS2 game had a paper filter applied to the graphics during gameplay and cut scenes, although I see where you're coming from, too.

#5 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

OH GOD YES!

#6 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I already have a PS2 though.

#7 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I would. But I would prefer it on the X360.

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

I already own and played the Ps2 version, and my PC is strong enough to emulate it in hd. Added with the fact that I don't own a Ps3, it's looking grim.

Though I don't know, If they fixed it up more than just upscaling, I could go for another run through the game.

#9 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

Okami is probably the one remaining PS2 game that I'd like to see an HD remaster for. I'd probably pay around $15 for something like that, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable for them to charge $20; Okami was a pretty big game.

#10 Posted by Little_Socrates (5716 posts) -

Okami would look fantastic in HD, but I did not care for that game and would not buy it ever again.

#11 Posted by Cathryn (550 posts) -

Oh yes, definitely.

#12 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

Probably not. I already own the PS2 version of the game. I've said this before, but I'm not going to put down money for a slightly better looking version of a game I already own. Unlike some people it seems, it is possible for me to enjoy games with somewhat dated graphics. That aside, it would be great for all the people who missed it the first time around, especially if it also came to the Xbox360.

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -

Nope.

#14 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Nope.

#15 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

no

#16 Posted by Bakumatsu (374 posts) -

Oh dude. In a heartbeat.

#17 Posted by dudeglove (8302 posts) -

The thread title makes me feel as though the OP is judging me for potentially performing something illicit.

#18 Posted by supermonkey122 (874 posts) -

Nope. Never liked that game.

#19 Posted by Legend (2664 posts) -

Absolutely!

#20 Posted by benspyda (2051 posts) -

I definitely would back this. I played through it on Ps2 and thought it was one of the best games on that console by far.

#21 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

No. I already have it on Wii and I dont have a PS3. And knowing Capcom it would be a horrible port

#22 Edited by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

I'd honestly just be happy with Okami on PSN in general. Even if it is just a PS2 classic download in 4:3 and 480p.

#23 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Maybe. 

I already own it on the PS2 but have never finished it.

#24 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

Nah.

#25 Posted by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

If it was a good port, then hells yes.

#26 Posted by Illuminosopher (336 posts) -

Yes

#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Already looks great on a PC via an emulator so nah I wouldn't.

#28 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I would. By the time I had heard how great it was, I had sold my PS2...

#29 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

No.

I played Okami.

I didn't like it.

So no.

#30 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

Never played the original. I would love to play an HD version.

#31 Posted by Zippedbinders (1034 posts) -

Already bought the PS2 and Wii version, so no.

#32 Posted by Mustachio (243 posts) -

Yes, yes I would. I would also convince my friends to buy it, since I God damn love that game.

#33 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

Yes, but only if there were a faint IGN watermark in the corner of the screen at all times.

#34 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Yes, absolutely.

#35 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

I'd much prefer a xbla download. My ps3 is SOOOOOO damn loud now. Its a launch model. But when the fans are on? Which takes like, 15 minutes of just sitting there, not playing any game even. The system is honestly louder than my car. Granted, I drive a small 1.6L car, but when a game system puts out my noise than my car? But at least it hasn't broken down, like my 3 xbox 360s have.

Okami on the wii just did not look right at all. I knew bad news when I saw the IGN logo on my box. Its fine on a regular, 4:3 480i television, but on anything above that? Its absolutely awful to look at. Its not in full 480p/i. Like many games of last gen, its in a lower resolution, scaled to 480p. It looks extremely blurry.

But you have to do more than just natively put it out in 720p. You have to get rid of all the jibberish voices. THAT made the game unplayable, flat out.

#36 Posted by MEATBALL (3496 posts) -

I would buy a HD Remaster of Okami in a heartbeat.

#37 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

OH GOD YES!

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I already have a PS2 though.

@CountRockula said:

Okami is probably the one remaining PS2 game that I'd like to see an HD remaster for. I'd probably pay around $15 for something like that, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable for them to charge $20; Okami was a pretty big game.

@Cathryn said:

Oh yes, definitely.

@jasondaplock said:

If Okami were to get an HD release, it would need some actual designer love to be worth showing. The graphical style is beautiful, but it looked muddy even on the PS2.

I would absolutely put down cold hard spacebucks for a copy if they actually fixed it up.

@Bakumatsu said:

Oh dude. In a heartbeat.

@Legend said:

Absolutely!

What all of these people said. I can't think of better words than what've already been stated above.

#38 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1212 posts) -

Yeah, I would. I never played it before but it looks interesting and very different. Certainly seems worth $15-$20.

#39 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@ddensel said:

Okami is a game I've always wanted to play, but never had a PS2 or a Wii.

Yes, I would buy it......

#40 Edited by NTM (7546 posts) -

I already have it on the PS2, went all the way near to the end, but never beat it (for some reason). It was a fine game; great artistic style, fine Zelda-like game play and characters, unique game mechanics, and fantastic music. I wouldn't want to buy it again though, even if it is in HD. I felt like there was too little to do in it and not a very interesting story, but maybe my memory isn't the best of the game in general... though I doubt it.

By the way, don't you mean to ask "Would you buy Okami HD from PSN?" And not like you're threatening to kill us if we did. Although I can take your question in another tone which sounds correct, but it's not common to read it like that.

#41 Posted by mushroomyakuza (22 posts) -

@NTM said:

By the way, don't you mean to ask "Would you buy Okami HD from PSN?" And not like you're threatening to kill us if we did. Although I can take your question in another tone which sounds correct, but it's not common to read it like that.

I absolutely do. Sorry guys, I think I was extremely tired (and had been drinking) when I wrote this.

#42 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -
#43 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Getting it the moment it is available on PSN.

#44 Posted by Deusoma (3032 posts) -

I would totally play an HD Okami, but I would prefer a release on, say, Steam (provided it had controller support, derp) over the PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.