Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

On-The-Fly Character Switching

Concept »

Games that allow characters to be switched with the press of a button. This concept's definition does not include player switching in team sports games.

Should we elaborate on this?

bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By bundle85

If I am to understand this concept correctly, any game that has the ability to switch characters by pressing a button (as in not going to a menu) should be on this list.

The important question is do annualized sport games count? I know that you could easily switch defensive characters in ESPN NFL 2K5. This would seem to go against the spirit of the concept (The lost Vikings, Trine, etc.)

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I imagine they don't count, as they're more like units than individual characters. Then again, I don't play sports games, so what the hell do I know?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TentPole

They are players not characters (I don't actually know if this means anything).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would argue that they do count, if only because some of these games have features to do the exact opposite: player-lock. The recent Maddens have all had Superstar mode, which if I recall correctly, locks your control to just that player. The most recent NBA Jam, while it isn't annualized, also has an option to enable player-lock, which brings it back in line with previous games in the series.

bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By bundle85

i was also thinking nba jam, although i was thinking the original

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AxleBro
    DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoubleKR

I say yes, because if that's not the name for it then where the hell do you put that style?

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ViciousReiven

I think it depends on what is actually happening, if you're just switching characters that are already on the field/loaded in then that's different from when you hit a button and it loads in a different character to replace either the player or a teammate.

Usually when the term 'On-the-fly' is applied to concepts like this it relates to the latter as it's specifically stating that they have the technology to do this, which was the case with on-the-fly weapon switching in Devil May Cry 3 which if I remember correctly took a lot of effort to get working.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.