Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

One Must Fall: 2097

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 15, 1994

A 2D sci-fi fighting game released by Epic MegaGames, pitting giant robots against one another in futuristic 2097. It was late re-released as a freeware title.

In the year 2097.....One Must Fall....

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By L33tfella_H

So there's a little story behind this, let me tell all you wee little lads & lassies about the events that transpired that eventually conspired me to write this blog post.

It was a Friday, Noon, it was snowy and cold outside and i had some warm socks on....

When a friend of mine showed me this site called Jam Legend, which is like a Java/Flash based GH clone which has a community feature built into it yadda yadda yadda (it's interesting, you should check it out if you're into that kinda stuff), and one of the songs that someone had uploaded was a fully instrumental cover of the One Must Fall 2097 Main Theme song, which has been stuck in my head for years now. After playing the song a few times, i decided to grab DOSBOX and grab the game online since it's been declared freeware for a while now.

After Fiddling with DOSBOX for about 10 minutes, i finally got into game where i set up all my stuff and jumped into tournament mode. And playing that game earlier...took me back to 1999 (the game came out in 1994, but don't tell 7-year old me that). The basic game is just a SF/MK inspired fighter featuring people in 50-foot robots fighting for the crowds. 

Caaan You Diiiiig Iiiiiit?
    There's a standard 1-Player mode which is just arcade mode basically, then there's also 2-player (cause any fighter that doesn't have multiplayer has missed the point kinda) and the mode i like most, the tournament mode, which is kinda like 'story' mode, expect there really isn't a story to follow, unless there's something written up on the manual that isn't mentioned in-game. Tournament mode has you creating a character and starting out fighting in ranked matches in different tournaments in an attempt to (what i assume the goal is) reach the last tournament, where you have to beat the final #1 ranked fighter, in his teched out giant mech. You get money from every match you win, which you use to upgrade your characters Speed, Strength and Stamina, and buy stronger armor and legs/arms which make you attack faster and do more damage. 

Another big feature of OMF:2097 is that almost every level has an environmental hazard like High Voltage Walls, or Fighter Jets randomly shooting at you. The Music is also quite good, i don't really remember anything other than the title theme too vividly, but the soundtrack's quite good, some nice MIDI tunes for your ears if you're looking for that.
     Talkin' Reckless before the fight.

I guess all in all, i just wanted to say that One Must Fall is one of my favourite memories from a by-gone age. 

That last sentence in itself is top-to-bottom absolute wank-hattery at it's finest. I mean, i'm not even old enough to 'remember' this game (i was about 2 years old when it came out :] ), but does that really matter? In any case, it's a good game, perhaps you'll try it and you won't like it, maybe it's just the nostalgia in me talking, but i think it's quite good. If i ever get the chance, i should ask Mr. J.Rea what he thinks of it if he's played it.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By L33tfella_H

So there's a little story behind this, let me tell all you wee little lads & lassies about the events that transpired that eventually conspired me to write this blog post.

It was a Friday, Noon, it was snowy and cold outside and i had some warm socks on....

When a friend of mine showed me this site called Jam Legend, which is like a Java/Flash based GH clone which has a community feature built into it yadda yadda yadda (it's interesting, you should check it out if you're into that kinda stuff), and one of the songs that someone had uploaded was a fully instrumental cover of the One Must Fall 2097 Main Theme song, which has been stuck in my head for years now. After playing the song a few times, i decided to grab DOSBOX and grab the game online since it's been declared freeware for a while now.

After Fiddling with DOSBOX for about 10 minutes, i finally got into game where i set up all my stuff and jumped into tournament mode. And playing that game earlier...took me back to 1999 (the game came out in 1994, but don't tell 7-year old me that). The basic game is just a SF/MK inspired fighter featuring people in 50-foot robots fighting for the crowds. 

There's a standard 1-Player mode which is just arcade mode basically, then there's also 2-player (cause any fighter that doesn't have multiplayer has missed the point kinda) and the mode i like most, the tournament mode, which is kinda like 'story' mode, expect there really isn't a story to follow, unless there's something written up on the manual that isn't mentioned in-game. Tournament mode has you creating a character and starting out fighting in ranked matches in different tournaments in an attempt to (what i assume the goal is) reach the last tournament, where you have to beat the final #1 ranked fighter, in his teched out giant mech. You get money from every match you win, which you use to upgrade your characters Speed, Strength and Stamina, and buy stronger armor and legs/arms which make you attack faster and do more damage. 

Another big feature of OMF:2097 is that almost every level has an environmental hazard like High Voltage Walls, or Fighter Jets randomly shooting at you. The Music is also quite good, i don't really remember anything other than the title theme too vividly, but the soundtrack's quite good, some nice MIDI tunes for your ears if you're looking for that.

I guess all in all, i just wanted to say that One Must Fall is one of my favourite memories from a by-gone age. 

That last sentence in itself is top-to-bottom absolute wank-hattery at it's finest. I mean, i'm not even old enough to 'remember' this game (i was about 2 years old when it came out :] ), but does that really matter? In any case, it's a good game, perhaps you'll try it and you won't like it, maybe it's just the nostalgia in me talking, but i think it's quite good. If i ever get the chance, i should ask Mr. J.Rea what he thinks of it if he's played it.
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hero_swe

Surely this is not the first time you play OMF 2097 is it fellah? Anyway. I'm glad you wrote a blog about it, really underrated fighter.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By demontium

wha?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

Ah...this awesome game...released in...whenver it was released. 

I actually have this on a cd somewhere...
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Tordah

This is a fantastic game. One of the most underrated games ever, if you ask me. Even the graphics hold up extremely well to this day. Oh, and the title music is legendary!

What I like most about the game is how distinctively all the robots differ from each other. You have agile robots that can jump and move around really fast as well as more powerful and slow robots that take some time getting used to. Not to mention that you also choose a pilot for your robot which alters your stats (agility, endurance, etc). It's all pretty deep but superbly balanced.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Hero_Swe said:
    " Surely this is not the first time you play OMF 2097 is it fellah? Anyway. I'm glad you wrote a blog about it, really underrated fighter. "
    Nah dude, as i mentioned in the post, first time i really touched this game was around 1999. I've just never really had the chance to play it again as i've never really messed around with DOSBox, and if i've ever had the hankering to play it, i've given up after trying for about 20 minutes to play it.

@Tordah: Yea, that title music seriously stuck with me for the last 11 years, that just goes to show how nice the music is.

It's nice that all the robots are different in how they play for the most part, it's not like you get Shoto/Charge style robots who're basically just different skinned versions of the same fighter. Also, i might've glanced over it in Tournament mode, but i didn't know picking a different pilot altered your stats at all.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I picked up the shareware version of the game sometime in '94.  Really the best thing about the game is the intro and music.  Low quality weeaboo 'art' (in that it was Westerners trying to ape Japanese style and failing utterly) and low quality gameplay = bleh.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brukaoru

I've wanted to play this game for a long time, ever since I heard Kenny Chou's song "Power Plant" and found out where the song originated from. I wish they would port this game to a console, I think that'd be awesome, I'd love to play it either way.  

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Diamond said:

" I picked up the shareware version of the game sometime in '94.  Really the best thing about the game is the intro and music.  Low quality weeaboo 'art' (in that it was Westerners trying to ape Japanese style and failing utterly) and low quality gameplay = bleh. "

now this seems like the most specific thing to ask, but do you remember what the registered version cost around? I'm thinking 10$, which i'd probably pay back then (if i wasn't an infant), and even now, if only for the nostalgia factor.

The portraits are quite bad....ALTHOUGH......there's one which i love (excuse the low quality):

He's very dissapointed
     He's very dissapointed

Can't really beat that ;)

The fighting isn't all that like ya said, but it's a decent way to spend 10-20 hours tops (well....looking at other DOS games, maybe not so much)
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @L33tfella_H: I never registered the game, just only played the shareware.  I feel like it would have been more than $10 back then.  Maybe you can check out the shareware version of the game today in DOSBOX and see the price they have when you exit the game (not all games had that screen, but many do).

I guess the fighting isn't that bad, it's not a horrible game.  The only reason I'd really want to play it now is the music, as opposed to a game like Street Fighter 2.
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hero_swe

@Tordah:  Also, i might've glanced over it in Tournament mode, but i didn't know picking a different pilot altered your stats at all. "

Not in tournament mode, that was just cosmetic. It's in the story mode where it matters, my favorite pilot was and still is Christian.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

I've always thought that "One Must Fall" is just about the most badass game title I've ever heard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.