So this game is coming out this week.

• 56 results
#51 Posted by kishinfoulux (3139 posts) -

@Mezmero said:

Downloading as I type. Can not wait to dig into it. Kind of disappointed to hear that Thriller Bark will not be in the game but I'm still excited. I really hope the bomb crew doesn't do a quick look of this game. All they will end up doing is ravaging it for being anime even though the art style is way closer to American cartoons than anything. I'd imagine they'll also harsh it's gig for being a Dynasty Warriors game which is understandable given the questionable legacy.

I don't think they will, but I'd like for them too. This game needs some exposure. Even if they rag on it I'm sure, at least, it'll get the attention of more One Piece fans. I know Vinny will give it a shot, plus I'm curious what they think and what kind of comedy will ensue from seeing Luffy's Gum Gum attacks.

#52 Posted by cosi83 (494 posts) -

I want this as I likes me some One Piece. Shame all i have is da Vita

#53 Edited by Mezmero (2981 posts) -

@wchigo: The dude even wears a black bandana like Zorro.

@kishinfoulux: I suppose you have a point there. After all I didn't even know that this game was coming out until two days ago and ended up buying it within minutes of its launch.

The game is pretty dope so far but it's not without issue from what I've played. The big story points still resonate an emotional tone even in this format. It just feels bad ass to have access to so many character specific attacks provided you level enough. As soon as I saw those quick time event platforming sections in the trailer I knew I wasn't going to like them and I was right. Still I applaud them for trying to add a little variety to these types of games. It just seems like those sections are killing time that could've been spent on abridged versions of the Syrup Village, Skypiea, and Thriller Bark arcs. I will admit it serves as a good set piece to show just how insanely agile and creative Monkey D. Luffy is.

The art-style is pretty sharp but the frame rate is all over the place. Very few moments look real smooth but it's not great overall. I just tried split screen with my niece and it runs like a dog turd. It couldn't even paint icons for your co-op allies on each screen so it's nearly impossible to find your partner without looking at their mini map. I think the only thing I'm actively hating is the recycling of character assets across the fodder baddies. I don't even mean in regards to building a DW style game where you must dispatch hundreds of dudes. What I am talking about is that some of the nameless thugs and leaders are modeled after a bunch of named characters in the One Piece universe. It only matters to fans really but when I see slight variations of dudes like Jozu, Vista, and Douma it's a little jarring. The last unfair complaint I have is that the music isn't nearly as epic as the show but they are reasonable facsimiles as produced by the DW music team. Less shredding guitars, more brass and symphonic strings.

#54 Posted by wchigo (741 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@Mezmero said:

Downloading as I type. Can not wait to dig into it. Kind of disappointed to hear that Thriller Bark will not be in the game but I'm still excited. I really hope the bomb crew doesn't do a quick look of this game. All they will end up doing is ravaging it for being anime even though the art style is way closer to American cartoons than anything. I'd imagine they'll also harsh it's gig for being a Dynasty Warriors game which is understandable given the questionable legacy.

I don't think they will, but I'd like for them too. This game needs some exposure. Even if they rag on it I'm sure, at least, it'll get the attention of more One Piece fans. I know Vinny will give it a shot, plus I'm curious what they think and what kind of comedy will ensue from seeing Luffy's Gum Gum attacks.

Now that you mention it, aside from maybe some Gundam and DBZ games, I don't think they've covered much in the way of anime games, right? I don't really recall any QLs of any Naruto or Bleach games, so I doubt they'll do one of this. I wouldn't mind if they did do it, I'm just skeptical.

@Mezmero said:

@wchigo: The dude even wears a black bandana like Zorro.

@kishinfoulux: I suppose you have a point there. After all I didn't even know that this game was coming out until two days ago and ended up buying it within minutes of its launch.

The game is pretty dope so far but it's not without issue from what I've played. The big story points still resonate an emotional tone even in this format. It just feels bad ass to have access to so many character specific attacks provided you level enough. As soon as I saw those quick time event platforming sections in the trailer I knew I wasn't going to like them and I was right. Still I applaud them for trying to add a little variety to these types of games. It just seems like those sections are killing time that could've been spent on abridged versions of the Syrup Village, Skypiea, and Thriller Bark arcs. I will admit it serves as a good set piece to show just how insanely agile and creative Monkey D. Luffy is.

The art-style is pretty sharp but the frame rate is all over the place. Very few moments look real smooth but it's not great overall. I just tried split screen with my niece and it runs like a dog turd. It couldn't even paint icons for your co-op allies on each screen so it's nearly impossible to find your partner without looking at their mini map. I think the only thing I'm actively hating is the recycling of character assets across the fodder baddies. I don't even mean in regards to building a DW style game where you must dispatch hundreds of dudes. What I am talking about is that some of the nameless thugs and leaders are modeled after a bunch of named characters in the One Piece universe. It only matters to fans really but when I see slight variations of dudes like Jozu, Vista, and Douma it's a little jarring. The last unfair complaint I have is that the music isn't nearly as epic as the show but they are reasonable facsimiles as produced by the DW music team. Less shredding guitars, more brass and symphonic strings.

Zorro hides behind a mask, Zoro does not! As I said, I understand the reason behind the alteration, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Speaking of which, is his name Zoro or Zolo in this? I'm assuming Zoro but unlike the manga, the name here probably won't affect my decision to purchase it when I have the funds to do so.

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit I've shedded my fair share of man tears while watching/reading One Piece; even after all this time, even after I know it's coming, the end of the Enies Lobby arc where

still has me sobbing each and every time. I really enjoyed the music of the opening tutorial stage, but aside from that track none of the other music really stood out to me. I really enjoyed the music of the opening tutorial stage, but aside from that track none of the other music really stood out to me. I really enjoyed the music of the opening tutorial stage, but aside from that track none of the other music really stood out to me. I really enjoyed the music of the opening tutorial stage, but aside from that track none of the other music really stood out to me.

#55 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5549 posts) -

@DarthOrange: On Hulu Plus the latest One Piece episode is 585 and they just recently started the second half of the series which is equivalent to Dragonball Z in the Dragonball franchise.

#56 Posted by Petiew (1413 posts) -
@I_Stay_Puft: In volume 54 Oda said One Piece was somewhere in it's second third, we're on 67 now. So maybe another 10-15 years still?
To put this in a even crazier perspective, DragonBall only has 42 volumes total.
#57 Posted by Xomero (67 posts) -

I'm interested in the game, but I don't want to pay $50 on a digital copy of it =\

I was hoping we'd get a retail version like Europe did, I like to have cases and discs :3

So to anyone that has played it, what do you think? Awesome? Worth it? I can see myself giving into pressure and just buying it eventually...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.