Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

One Piece

Franchise »

One Piece is a manga/anime created by Eiichiro Oda about a boy named Monkey D. Luffy who left off on a grand journey through the Grand Line as a pirate, making many friends, discovering new islands, and defeating foes along the way.

One Piece: Funimation Travesty.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Aarownd

To preface this, I've been a huge fan of One Piece, even back from the 4kids days. When I got older, I moved onto the Sub, and slowly realized all Funimation, and to a degree, all English voice actors, are kind of terrible. They're just not believable in any Anime I've seen. I've heard a lot of good Videogame voice acting, primarily when it's not trying to be wacky. Like a lot of Anime does. But the reason I have personal issues with English Dubs, is that I know that's not how people speak. I'll use One Piece as an example, since it's one of the two Animes I remotely care about. The Japanese voices in One Piece, probably sound re-goddamn-diculous to a native speaker of the language. But as just some idiot foreigner, I have no barometer for what a Japanese person sounds like in average conversation. As far as I can tell, people just yell every sentence seemingly at random. So I can't very well tell if the acting is good or bad. But with English dubs, I already know that that isn't how people talk. People don't yell stuff randomly, and speak in Cartoon voices in English. I know that, because I speak it on a daily basis. I can tell when English voices A. Don't fit a character, and B. Aren't acted well. Which makes Dubs virtually unwatchable to me.

Now, let's move on to why Funimation in particular is bad at localizing Anime. I guess my main issue, would be that they use the same actors, for almost every series they get the license to. It's literally impossible to watch a funimation dub without hearing multiple voices from Dragon Ball Z. Which is at least understandable, since Anime isn't the most profitable business in America. But the problem with it, is that they don't act differently. They play every character exactly the same, there's no difference even in their tone of voice. If you listen to Christopher Sabat, he sounds exactly the same in every role. And rarely does he fit any character. Which, is really a major issue, when they don't even bother to get new actors to fit characters.

Whenever I have this discussion with anyone, they say that the Funi-dub of One Piece is great, and that the creator "Hand-picked the cast". Which brings me to a couple reasons why that argument in its favor makes no sense.

1. Eichiro Oda (The Creator of One Piece) doe not speak English, so he wouldn't be able to properly judge English Acting.

2. "Hand-Picking" is completely irrelevant when he's picking actors from a pool of twenty. His choice would just boil down to tonally which of the twenty actors he feels matches best. Not that he watched a bunch of different series' and picked actors from them.

Now, I don't want to sound like I think Funimation is all bad, and a lot of these issues are completely understandable. Since like I said, Anime isn't the big business in the colonies that it is over in the Japans. So a lot of the time, they simply can't afford to hire new actors regularly, or obtain licenses as fast as would be preferable. But these reasonable problems aren't enough to excuse lazy work. Over half of the main cast in One Piece is voiced by Dragon Ball actors, which I shouldn't have to tell you, isn't a good ratio of recycled actors.

And now One Piece itself; Some of the bigger issues with the Funi-dub, is that their big marketing push, was that it it's closer to the original than the 4Kids version was. Which, while it's true that it is vastly more faithful to the original than the amount that was censored in the 4Kids version. They still change a majority of the lines characters say. Watching episodes side-by-side like I've been doing, you can tell just how much is changed. Most lines in an episode are unnecessarily different. Nami had a line in the original that was "I wonder what's going on over there" as she was sneaking away from an action sequence. That line was then changed to "Looks like somebody's rocking the boat". Which I again should not need to tell you how just plain retarded that is.

Another issue that most don't seem to notice, is that they kept the changed name of the fruit Luffy ate, and by extension, the name of all of his attacks. In the original; it was "Gomo Gomu" which translates directly to "Rubber". So by eating the Rubber fruit, he became a rubber-man. But the 4Kids changed it for American audiences to "Gum Gum", which only makes a slight amount of sense, since I guess gum stretches. But the logic behind that isn't my issue with it. My issue is that it didn't need changed. It's a Japanese series brought to English, by that same logic, "Zoro" shouldn't have the same name, it's too Japanese. It should be changed to something Americans can relate to. Like Bill, or Steven. It's entirely pointless to change that, but not other equally Asian names and words. Zoro uses a sword style called "Santoryu", which "San" means "Three" and "Toryu" means "Dragon Slayer" when translated directly, but in Sword fighting, it's used as the base title of any sword style. So he uses a three sword style. Does any of that sound as simple as Gomu meaning rubber?

Another problem, is that Funimation will hire women to do adult male voices. Which the Japanese do, but like I said, Americans have no barometer for what the Japanese sound like. But it's easy for us to immediately recognize a male character as being voices by a woman trying to sound like a young guy.

I also have a large issue with their fans attitude towards it all. They act as though Funimation is the second coming of Christ; At the slightest mention of Funimation not producing the highest caliber of product, they act as though you're personally attack them. And that you obviously live in your parents basement, jerkin' it to RapeLay all day.

Another huge problem is that most of it seems unnecessary. If Funimation just focused on subbing Anime, they'd not only produce content faster, there'd be much lower overhead, meaning they could not only make it faster, but they could also make a lot more of it. They'd take quite a few jobs from people, but they'd create possibly more jobs by hiring talented people to put subtitles on each series. If you look at the higher quality subtitle work on Anime, they use specialized fonts for specific characters. They create special fonts and implement them, all in their free time. Because they love Anime that much. There are only a few reasons I can think of that would stop Funimation from seeing this is a better business plan. 1. Channels like Cartoon Network won't air something in a foreign language. 2. Their fan-base is largely 12-17 age group, and that whole demographic is shockingly close-minded, and surprisingly xenophobic.

Other than that, it's cheaper. Would encourage kids to read more often, and at an accelerated pace. Faster to produce content. A majority of the work is already done. It makes way more sense, purely from a business point of views.

Here I'm going to like a couple videos showing the key differences in the voice quality.

While neither of these sound particularly great, nor would I want to listen to it on my iPod. The Funimation version sounds just out of place. And the bad singing is much more noticeable than in the Japanese version.

Here, the Funimation version isn't terrible, but it's markedly different, and lacks a certain impact. And due to changed dialog, the character interactions leading up to this point, made a lot of it less important in the dub. But I will commend the voice-actress for Luffy here. She managed to convey some minor amount of emotion in her voice. But that's another issue, whenever she's just talking, or even doing a generic attack, she sounds like she doesn't give a shit about doing it. That she would rather be somewhere else, and that this whole thing is stupid.

There's an example of the bland voice-work done for the vast majority of the series.

Regardless of how I feel about Funimation, and this dub, One Piece is still awesome.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Aarownd

To preface this, I've been a huge fan of One Piece, even back from the 4kids days. When I got older, I moved onto the Sub, and slowly realized all Funimation, and to a degree, all English voice actors, are kind of terrible. They're just not believable in any Anime I've seen. I've heard a lot of good Videogame voice acting, primarily when it's not trying to be wacky. Like a lot of Anime does. But the reason I have personal issues with English Dubs, is that I know that's not how people speak. I'll use One Piece as an example, since it's one of the two Animes I remotely care about. The Japanese voices in One Piece, probably sound re-goddamn-diculous to a native speaker of the language. But as just some idiot foreigner, I have no barometer for what a Japanese person sounds like in average conversation. As far as I can tell, people just yell every sentence seemingly at random. So I can't very well tell if the acting is good or bad. But with English dubs, I already know that that isn't how people talk. People don't yell stuff randomly, and speak in Cartoon voices in English. I know that, because I speak it on a daily basis. I can tell when English voices A. Don't fit a character, and B. Aren't acted well. Which makes Dubs virtually unwatchable to me.

Now, let's move on to why Funimation in particular is bad at localizing Anime. I guess my main issue, would be that they use the same actors, for almost every series they get the license to. It's literally impossible to watch a funimation dub without hearing multiple voices from Dragon Ball Z. Which is at least understandable, since Anime isn't the most profitable business in America. But the problem with it, is that they don't act differently. They play every character exactly the same, there's no difference even in their tone of voice. If you listen to Christopher Sabat, he sounds exactly the same in every role. And rarely does he fit any character. Which, is really a major issue, when they don't even bother to get new actors to fit characters.

Whenever I have this discussion with anyone, they say that the Funi-dub of One Piece is great, and that the creator "Hand-picked the cast". Which brings me to a couple reasons why that argument in its favor makes no sense.

1. Eichiro Oda (The Creator of One Piece) doe not speak English, so he wouldn't be able to properly judge English Acting.

2. "Hand-Picking" is completely irrelevant when he's picking actors from a pool of twenty. His choice would just boil down to tonally which of the twenty actors he feels matches best. Not that he watched a bunch of different series' and picked actors from them.

Now, I don't want to sound like I think Funimation is all bad, and a lot of these issues are completely understandable. Since like I said, Anime isn't the big business in the colonies that it is over in the Japans. So a lot of the time, they simply can't afford to hire new actors regularly, or obtain licenses as fast as would be preferable. But these reasonable problems aren't enough to excuse lazy work. Over half of the main cast in One Piece is voiced by Dragon Ball actors, which I shouldn't have to tell you, isn't a good ratio of recycled actors.

And now One Piece itself; Some of the bigger issues with the Funi-dub, is that their big marketing push, was that it it's closer to the original than the 4Kids version was. Which, while it's true that it is vastly more faithful to the original than the amount that was censored in the 4Kids version. They still change a majority of the lines characters say. Watching episodes side-by-side like I've been doing, you can tell just how much is changed. Most lines in an episode are unnecessarily different. Nami had a line in the original that was "I wonder what's going on over there" as she was sneaking away from an action sequence. That line was then changed to "Looks like somebody's rocking the boat". Which I again should not need to tell you how just plain retarded that is.

Another issue that most don't seem to notice, is that they kept the changed name of the fruit Luffy ate, and by extension, the name of all of his attacks. In the original; it was "Gomo Gomu" which translates directly to "Rubber". So by eating the Rubber fruit, he became a rubber-man. But the 4Kids changed it for American audiences to "Gum Gum", which only makes a slight amount of sense, since I guess gum stretches. But the logic behind that isn't my issue with it. My issue is that it didn't need changed. It's a Japanese series brought to English, by that same logic, "Zoro" shouldn't have the same name, it's too Japanese. It should be changed to something Americans can relate to. Like Bill, or Steven. It's entirely pointless to change that, but not other equally Asian names and words. Zoro uses a sword style called "Santoryu", which "San" means "Three" and "Toryu" means "Dragon Slayer" when translated directly, but in Sword fighting, it's used as the base title of any sword style. So he uses a three sword style. Does any of that sound as simple as Gomu meaning rubber?

Another problem, is that Funimation will hire women to do adult male voices. Which the Japanese do, but like I said, Americans have no barometer for what the Japanese sound like. But it's easy for us to immediately recognize a male character as being voices by a woman trying to sound like a young guy.

I also have a large issue with their fans attitude towards it all. They act as though Funimation is the second coming of Christ; At the slightest mention of Funimation not producing the highest caliber of product, they act as though you're personally attack them. And that you obviously live in your parents basement, jerkin' it to RapeLay all day.

Another huge problem is that most of it seems unnecessary. If Funimation just focused on subbing Anime, they'd not only produce content faster, there'd be much lower overhead, meaning they could not only make it faster, but they could also make a lot more of it. They'd take quite a few jobs from people, but they'd create possibly more jobs by hiring talented people to put subtitles on each series. If you look at the higher quality subtitle work on Anime, they use specialized fonts for specific characters. They create special fonts and implement them, all in their free time. Because they love Anime that much. There are only a few reasons I can think of that would stop Funimation from seeing this is a better business plan. 1. Channels like Cartoon Network won't air something in a foreign language. 2. Their fan-base is largely 12-17 age group, and that whole demographic is shockingly close-minded, and surprisingly xenophobic.

Other than that, it's cheaper. Would encourage kids to read more often, and at an accelerated pace. Faster to produce content. A majority of the work is already done. It makes way more sense, purely from a business point of views.

Here I'm going to like a couple videos showing the key differences in the voice quality.

While neither of these sound particularly great, nor would I want to listen to it on my iPod. The Funimation version sounds just out of place. And the bad singing is much more noticeable than in the Japanese version.

Here, the Funimation version isn't terrible, but it's markedly different, and lacks a certain impact. And due to changed dialog, the character interactions leading up to this point, made a lot of it less important in the dub. But I will commend the voice-actress for Luffy here. She managed to convey some minor amount of emotion in her voice. But that's another issue, whenever she's just talking, or even doing a generic attack, she sounds like she doesn't give a shit about doing it. That she would rather be somewhere else, and that this whole thing is stupid.

There's an example of the bland voice-work done for the vast majority of the series.

Regardless of how I feel about Funimation, and this dub, One Piece is still awesome.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By David

I still think I'd rather watch the Funimation version than the 4Kids version but luckily I agree with you and don't have to watch either of those and just watch the original with subtitles. The Japanese voice actors fit the characters they portray so perfectly I can't imagine anyone else playing them.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

They could always hire new talent looking to get into the VA business. It would be cheaper than hiring over-rated (and over-used) VA veterans.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

The problem is that most Anime let alone a popular one like One Piece are expensive to license. It is easy to say "do better production" but often the budgets are thin and the market is niche.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aarownd

@EXTomar: That's what I'm saying, that I realize it's a very expensive thing to do. But just because it's expensive, doesn't excuse recycled actors, altered dialog, and a seemingly low amount of care being put in overall.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clstirens

@EXTomar said:

The problem is that most Anime let alone a popular one like One Piece are expensive to license. It is easy to say "do better production" but often the budgets are thin and the market is niche.

@BraveToaster said:

They could always hire new talent looking to get into the VA business. It would be cheaper than hiring over-rated (and over-used) VA veterans.

I wonder if that's possible

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By kindgineer

I guess one of the reason I don't watch Anime, is the subtitles. It has absolutely nothing to do with being Xenophobic, or close minded. I enjoy hearing voices I can understand, and Funimation provides that. I watched I think what could be called the first "Season" of One Piece in English, and vastly preferred it over the subtitled version.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with subtitling. There are plenty of masterpieces out there of that calibur. However, the industry is just way to small. It needs to mature before we can move forward and have better voice-acting and subtitles.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sogeman

Dubs always just sound like they're shouting for shouting sake not because there's any kind of emotion behind it.

That song was the first time I heard the english version of Luffy and damn that just sounds off. Then I reread the text and now it's totally obvious that it's a woman trying to sound like a guy. No wonder it sounded weird. In the original she doesn't try to sound like a guy, it's just great.

Though reusing voiceactors is also a problem in japanese. Once you watched One Piece two times over you notice Zoros voice actor in everything he's in. Same goes for Jiraiya from Naruto. Not as big a problem though, they aren't in every series ^^

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

So, just don't watch the dub?

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aarownd

@LordXavierBritish: The main reason I made this, was because I know people who try to convince me that the Funimation version is better. This was just a convenient place to put it.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By N7

I feel like this is the perfect time to post a link to a podcast I like, while at the same time being relevant.

In this episode of Talkin' Tunes with Rob Paulsen, Candi Milo talks about the "anime voice" that people expect you to do when you go for that type of role. It puts into perspective a lot of things in the industry that you may not know about.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

I thought the dubs for Full Metal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho were fantastic. At the end of the day, though, I do not want to read a TV show. I'll take a slightly annoying dub over a good sub anyday, though chances are that unless I really like the story and characters I won't watch a bad dub anyway.

Honestly, though, Funimation is one of the better dubbing companies out there. We're talking about a niche business that asks for hundreds of different voice actors for shows that aren't going to be shown on TV much, and aren't going to get tons of viewers when they are. I don't expect the same quality voice acting that I would from a Pixar movie. Funimation seems to be doing the best they can with what they have.

On a final note, I did watch the last eleven or so episodes of Full Metal Alchemist subbed because I couldn't wait. I wish I would have waited for the dub, though - Ed sounding like a girl was odd when his VA in English was a fellow with a deep, scratchy voice.

EDIT: As for the shouting thing - I'd imagine that would sound the same to a Japanese-speaking individual? I've always been under the assumption that shouting is shouting, no matter the language.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi

Can't say I agree. Theres plenty of good dub work out there.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Zippedbinders

Why would you even watch the One Piece anime in the first place? Reading the manga negates all of these issues.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

@EXTomar said:

Plus there are, like, only five voice actors in all of anime. Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey....uh.....Evil Johnny Yong Bosch, and Super Johnny Yong Bosch.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

One problem I've noticed with dubbed recently is too many of the voices sound alike. Because I don't speak Japanese, I don't notice it as much, but when I watch a dub it seems the studios keep using the same actors over and over. Worse yet, there's little variety in their readings. Think of how unsettling it is to hear Nolan North do his typical voice work in practically every other title. Now imagine if there were whole groups of games where every character sounded like another character in a completely different game. I don't know enough about the dub of One Piece to criticize since I only watch the subbed versions. 4Kids scarred me but good. However, I can say that there just seems to be too many of the same actors working in the dubbed anime field with the same voices.

My second problem with American dubbed anime is the tonal range of the actors. We're all aware of the high pitched voices the Japanese actresses often have, but my current concern is with the lack of deep sounding male voices. Quite often Japanese male actors have these low pitched voices which resonate with strength and wisdom. Watch an old Kurosawa samurai movie and you can hear it. Certain archetypes in anime often have these voices to illustrate the seriousness of the character. Western voice actors typically don't read with that depth. There are American actors who do, but I guess few are working in the field of anime localization.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aarownd

@believer258 said:

Honestly, though, Funimation is one of the better dubbing companies out there. We're talking about a niche business that asks for hundreds of different voice actors for shows that aren't going to be shown on TV much, and aren't going to get tons of viewers when they are. I don't expect the same quality voice acting that I would from a Pixar movie. Funimation seems to be doing the best they can with what they have.

Which is why I brought up the idea of just subtitling anime. It would solve the voice actor variation issue, and the overhead in getting a production together. Since the sub is already great, why do we need to make a new version just for the few people who are absolutely against the idea of reading? Most of the fan-base wouldn't really care that much, especially if they explained that it would result in more product being produced.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By Justin258

@Aarownd said:

@believer258 said:

Which is why I brought up the idea of just subtitling anime. It would solve the voice actor variation issue, and the overhead in getting a production together. Since the sub is already great, why do we need to make a new version just for the few people who are absolutely against the idea of reading? Most of the fan-base wouldn't really care that much, especially if they explained that it would result in more product being produced.

Do you have any solid evidence that "most of the fan-base wouldn't care that much"?

I would much rather watch dubbed, to the point that I immediately drop any interest in any anime that's subbed. I'm one potential customer, and on matters like this there's never just one person with that kind of opinion. Cutting off dubbed is a whole lot of market share for them, and when you're talking about a niche product such as anime then "a whole lot of market share", even if it isn't even three fifths, might be enough to put them under and make anime even more niche. At the end of the day, I don't even think that most of the people in this business are in it for the money. They're in it because they enjoy anime and they enjoy their jobs, and they want to bring anime to a wider audience. You would be doing those people, the people in Japan who create the anime, and everyone else who enjoys it for that matter a disservice by completely stopping dubs.

If you want to watch subs, then Funimation subtitles pretty much all of their anime if I'm not mistaken. And if Funimation doesn't do it, then there are a lot of fan subs that you can watch that, from what I've heard, are pretty good themselves. I'm strongly against the idea of never dubbing anime.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EXTomar

It also depends on the show itself. I mean One Piece is full of dialog that isn't exactly Shakespearean. The dub for something like Durararara! was fine because it was slower and more deliberate.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Another wonderful show in which the subbed version (with original audio) is much better than what the dubbed version turns out to be. I love One Piece, and have been watching the subbed episodes for quite a few years, so I was interested to see just how a episode in dubbed form would sound. Unfortunately, the dubbed version falls short of what could have possibly been awesome due to voices that don't always fit the character that's talking. Just look at the video comparison of Luffy singing in both Japanese and English in the original post. I will admit, both versions are annoying, but at least the Japanese version comes off as less annoying, mostly in part to that voice the dubbed Luffy has.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OurSin_360

Animes like one piece and dbz are hard to localize (and tbh dbz japanese voices are just as bad as funimation) but I think funimation does a better job with nore serious anime. I actually like fullmetal better in english, one of if not the best localization

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow, this totally got necro'd.

Honestly, I've mostly given up on watching anime. It's fairly time consuming when I don't have much free time anyways, thus manga gets me where I want to be much faster. There are exceptions, like The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Code Geass and some shows that don't have a manga version (or the manga version comes out later and is based off the anime) like many Gundam series where I will watch the anime.

Dubs, however, are an entirely different story. Not to say there aren't any good dubs, of course. I distinctly remember watching the Vision of Escaflowne dub on YTV many years ago and then after going back and watching the subbed version, the changes were minimal: they basically just removed the swearing (i.e. - "It's that girl from the Mystic Moon!" rather than "It's that bitch from the Mystic Moon!") and the blood (taking out the blood definitely made certain scenes weird, like when the protagonist was supposedly wounded and within an inch of his life but didn't have a scratch on him, as opposed to the original where he was COVERED in blood), which I could understand since it was on in the afternoon and was being marketed towards a younger audience.

The show that completely killed dubs for me and basically turned me to watching only fansubs was Cardcaptors, known as Card Captor Sakura in the original Japanese. I mean, they did some bad stuff with censorship and alterations of scenes and story in shows like One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!, but this was the absolute worst! It's been many years since I watched it but I believe the original series was something like 82 episodes split between 2 series, and somehow Nelvana thought it'd be a good idea to just have 13 random episodes from the series shown at the start. In addition, they felt that having a show with a female protagonist would not sell as well, particularly with young males, hence why they changed it to Cardcaptors instead of Card Captor Sakura and increased the role of a male character from support character into one of, if not the, main character of the show. Gah, just thinking about it makes me angry! I guess I should be somewhat thankful to it though, as it being as terrible as it was was what lead me to look for stuff online and introduced me to the world of fansubs.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subbed > Dubbed in pretty much any instance. I have no idea how people can listen to awful english voice acting.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space Dandy dub is better than sub. I think that one is an exception. I think dubs have gotten better over the years. Kai actually sounds pretty good.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I really like the Funimation dub. You people are weird.

(keep being weird

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I disagree with the premise that you can't tell if a voice is natural unless you speak the language of the voice. I've seen plenty of subs where the actors clearly sound unnatural, and Luffy is actually a prime example of that.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aarownd: A lot of people seem to dislike most dubs - including me! It just hardly ever fits the feel of the show/movie.

About the only time I've ever enjoyed hearing a dub to an anime show is Cardcaptors

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Novis

I wish they grabbed Zoro and Nami's voice actors from the 4kids dubbed for the Funimation dub. Maybe even Luffy's voice actor too. And I kinda agree with English voice actors being not so good but that's because this stuff is made for the Japanese audience in mind. If they can sell this stuff overseas, extra cash for them.

Also, to the point of releasing stuff subtitled, they'd lose out on a lot of potential customers. Let's be frank, people don't like to read. When people watch a show, or a movie, they want to focus on the visuals. Reading takes away from that and people lose focus from story because they have to focus on reading. I have a lot of friends that are into anime, but don't want to read subtitles.

Also, I'd like to say that I have not watched too much of the One Piece anime, since I like reading the manga more. It's faster and I can make up my own voices for the characters in my head.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a good deal of the dub before thinking that One piece was lame back when it first came state side. This past year I decided to give it another shot, this time watching the sub. I'm really glad that I gave it another chance because it's a really great anime. As it turns out, the dub was so poorly done that it made the show seem...boring and lame. The original Japanese is fun but serious at times and well acted in my opinion. I think Spice and Wolf was the best dub I've heard in a long time so I know it's possible to have a good dub.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Subbed > Dubbed in pretty much any instance. I have no idea how people can listen to awful english voice acting.

For the longest time I was the opposite, simply because I didn't want to read. One piece was probably the first anime I tried to watched subtitled and it ended up sticking. I still check in on the dub every now and then, but the Japanese voice actors fit the characters so damn well, and they do such a great job with it, there's really no reason for me to go back to the dub. (Which for the record, I have no problem with.)

And in general nowadays, subs are the only thing I watch. I really think it's an acquired taste. Although I will say that when I'm watching anime, I have to give my full attention to it other wise I'll miss something. So, in that respect I can't blame others who stick with the dubs.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JJOR64

As someone who had read all of the manga and watch a little but of the subs, the dubs does sound very strange and odd.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most dubs nowadays are fine if not great. Some actors are better than others and some are using the same voice for many characters which is no different than film's character actors.

I think this whole sub's v. Dubs thing is stupid. Its about comfort and preference.

Not to mention most examples given of bad dubbing is usually shonen/shojo, which can be as badly acted in Japanese like One Piece.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By fattony12000

I wonder what @danryckert will think of all that One Piece he's definitely going to watch.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @aarownd said:

As little appreciation as I have for most dubs, this is just describing something done in 90% of all animation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.