Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

A bit confused on what exactly OnLive is...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

So basically, I connect it to a computer, select a game, and I can start playing it? I have to buy the game, right? And I assume it's PC only, right?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

That's not how it works guys.

You can use it 2 ways.

#1. just downloading a program to your PC and it works through a web browser.  If you have a PC, you don't need the box.

OR

#2. Buy a little plastic box with TV output and internet input.  You don't need a PC this way.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

So with #2 I could play the games on my TV without owning a console?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond
    natetodamax said:
    "So with #2 I could play the games on my TV without owning a console?"
    Supposedly , with 2 you only have to buy the OnLive box.  No extra PC, no extra console.  Hooks to your TV and internet, and you get a gamepad, but maybe they'll allow mouse+kb through USB too.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

Onlive will allow you to connect to almost anything with a screen. Your tv, PC, Mac etc.. You purchase the game with your account and from there you just select the game you want to play and play it on their servers. I am not completely sold on the idea and the limited graphics capability bothers me.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

It's simple theres a cloud and magic algebra prevents lag, whats not to get?

If its ever released you'll buy games steam style but pay an additonal monthly fee for service. You'll also have to buy a little box to connect to your TV if you want to do that, or you can just run it off your computer and a special controller and mouse/keyboard. In the end it will cost about as much as a normal console. (or at least an xbox with Gold membership) They'll be alot of PC games because thats what they are trying to replace, because the people who buy it are people who dont like upgrading PCs. You'll be able to share videos and things with friends i believe as well. Im not sold on it either though and i think ill stick with PC.

bulletclip6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bulletclip6

And yes PC releases only. Theres no way Sony or Microsoft would lend their exclusives. So multiplatforms only. Which to me why not just buy it for whatever console you own. i just dont see this happening very well. There will be people that will use it, but the people that already own and built up their PC's to run todays games. I dont see them abandoning there PC for some internet feed.

Dirk_P_Ho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Dirk_P_Ho

Its a cloud man, simple.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

Specifically what you're asking is what the heck is going on, it's pretty simple:

All the rendering is done by hardware "in the cloud" or over the internet and then the video stream is fed to you over the internet to your TV or computer.
    Pretty rad if I do say so myself....if it works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.