Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

OnLive Has The BEST Customer Appreciation!

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By Saieno

Full Article Here: http://blog.onlive.com/2010/11/24/a-special-thanks-to-onlive-founding-members/

OnLive exploded with users since the November 17th announcement of the Micro-Console pre-orders, and today they wanted to thank everyone who supported the service. If you rented or bought a playpass on OnLive before November 23rd, you should have received an e-mail with a promo code for a free game.

For those that have rented or bought two playpasses before November 23rd, you should have received the promo code for a free game, as well as a free Micro-Console! That's right, a completely free Micro-Console (just gotta pay shipping) which comes with yet another free game! So that's two free games AND a free micro-console that comes with the awesome wireless controller, HDMI cable, ethernet cable, power cable, and console itself.

This is an amazing gift to give to those customers who support the service. I myself have followed OnLive since its announcement at GDC 2009, its launch in June 2010, and even pre-ordered the Micro-Console. But to check my e-mail today and see that I not only got a free game, but that the pre-order I had made was also free?! I can't express how happy I was.

But that's not all! This weekend OnLive is having a HUGE Thanksgiving Sale, and tons of games are being marked down. But if you're interested in checking out OnLive, this weekend might be the time.    

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Saieno

Full Article Here: http://blog.onlive.com/2010/11/24/a-special-thanks-to-onlive-founding-members/

OnLive exploded with users since the November 17th announcement of the Micro-Console pre-orders, and today they wanted to thank everyone who supported the service. If you rented or bought a playpass on OnLive before November 23rd, you should have received an e-mail with a promo code for a free game.

For those that have rented or bought two playpasses before November 23rd, you should have received the promo code for a free game, as well as a free Micro-Console! That's right, a completely free Micro-Console (just gotta pay shipping) which comes with yet another free game! So that's two free games AND a free micro-console that comes with the awesome wireless controller, HDMI cable, ethernet cable, power cable, and console itself.

This is an amazing gift to give to those customers who support the service. I myself have followed OnLive since its announcement at GDC 2009, its launch in June 2010, and even pre-ordered the Micro-Console. But to check my e-mail today and see that I not only got a free game, but that the pre-order I had made was also free?! I can't express how happy I was.

But that's not all! This weekend OnLive is having a HUGE Thanksgiving Sale, and tons of games are being marked down. But if you're interested in checking out OnLive, this weekend might be the time.    

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By salad10203

Good to hear, even I myself I will be sticking with my PC.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Gaikai.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Why is it every time I see a post about OnLive anywhere it always reeks of marketing?

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By gamb1t

Rip off.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora

I wonder how much money you would save or lose by purchasing hardware over playing rental games OnLive.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Cheapoz

Wow, OnLive has the BEST marketing people! 

Srsly OnLive, you didn't even try. Hopefully GB.com perma-bans any and all coverage of your service in the future.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By tobygw
    @Saieno: Makes sense, they have to try to do something to sort of stand out from the pack and create a bit of a buzz.  

I personally didn't enjoy the trial I had of OnLive, I found it wayy too laggy to be at all playable and it just really didn't look too good visually. 
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield

DUDE ONLIVE IS SO AWESOME I LITERALLY BURNED ALL MY VIDEO CONSOLES AS SOON AS I SAW THIS MARKETING SPAMBOT TALK ABOUT IT
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Tried Borderlands once on it. I couldn't stand the lag. It's not terrible, but for those incredibly nitpicky gamers, it's definitely there.

That and 720P up-resed on a 1080p monitor looks like poo to me. Way too blurry for my tastes. It's weird because console games don't really bother me with sup 720p resolution on the same monitor. 

The live stream itself just looks weird to me. Kinda like I'm playing a 2 year old youtube video.

The only thing remotely cool about OnLive is the arena stuff where you can watch people playing the game. I think it's a neat idea just to be able to jump from game to game and get a live demo. It's especially neat when you jump into a game and the dude playing it is stupidly good at it.

drcocktopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By drcocktopus

Fuck OnLive

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad

I qualified for the free game. I got the GOTY edition of Borderlands. I didn't know it was because I had previously bought a PlayPass. 

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Saieno
    @Apathylad said:

" I qualified for the free game. I got the GOTY edition of Borderlands. I didn't know it was because I had previously bought a PlayPass.  "

Awesome dude, you should add me and we'll hit up come co-op sometime. Name is Saieno on the service. 

And seriously, I'm not some marketer for OnLive, just a very thankful fan and thought I'd let everyone else know in-case they rented something on the service.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

cool, i'm not going to get it. i have a slow internet so i can't deal with it. i would think that i would lag from it.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Yay! I GOT FREE GAMS.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm going to stick with my consoles and Steam. 

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

It's too bad I have a good enough computer I don't need OnLive anymore. I would still like to see Crysis on it though. Crysis is the only game I can't run on my PC the best (always have to change between a higher resolution or higher graphics settings and can't have both if I want a smooth framerate).
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @NTM said:
    " It's too bad I have a good enough computer I don't need OnLive anymore. I would still like to see Crysis. "
    Interestingly enough, the EA content hasn't been released yet. Mass Effect 2 was "shown" off side in the main menu.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Cheapoz said:
    " Wow, OnLive has the BEST marketing people!  Srsly OnLive, you didn't even try. Hopefully GB.com perma-bans any and all coverage of your service in the future. "
    The user has 127 posts. Are you implying that OnLive planted him in the GB community, encouraged him to be an active member of it, and then to make a short, single topic about how they were nice to him?

I mean, at no point does that seem fucking insane to you?
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eristocrat

Wow! Free games I would never play cause they are laggy as shit!  Should I get Borderlands (which I own) Batman (which I've played) AC II (which I own) Red Faction (which I own) or Splinter Cell Conviction (which I own) as those seem to be the only decent games there? 

This is probably ok for people who don't mind lag on ass versions of games they've heard about a couple of times but for real play I just don't see the value in this thing.   Maybe it just needs exclusives, I seem to buy everything with exclusives.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gonmog
    @benjaebe said:
    " Why is it every time I see a post about OnLive anywhere it always reeks of marketing? "
    I always get this too. I mean every time someone brings it up they are praising it to no end. never listing the probs of it at all. 
     I mean come on how can you talk about "buying" the games no matter the cost and fail to talk about the fact that after 3 years...they are gone? Or if the crashes before then...so is the money you put into the games? 
    For the most part you are renting games for 3 years. Thats at the best. if it closes down its doors before then. Well...  
    I'll stick with Steam, or a other download game service then risk me losing the game. At lest they talk about if the service goes down, they have codes inplace to unlock the games anyways.  

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE the tech behind what Onlive is. I hate the concept and how they went about the whole game sale thing though. 
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Gonmog said:

" @benjaebe said:

" Why is it every time I see a post about OnLive anywhere it always reeks of marketing? "
    I always get this too. I mean every time someone brings it up they are praising it to no end. never listing the probs of it at all.  I mean come on how can you talk about "buying" the games no matter the cost and fail to talk about the fact that after 3 years...they are gone? Or if the crashes before then...so is the money you put into the games? For the most part you are renting games for 3 years. Thats at the best. if it closes down its doors before then. Well...  I'll stick with Steam, or a other download game service then risk me losing the game. At lest they talk about if the service goes down, they have codes inplace to unlock the games anyways.   Dont get me wrong, i LOVE the tech behind what Onlive is. I hate the concept and how they went about the whole game sale thing though.  "
    Well by 3 years the price of those games will likely be dramatically reduced in retail and other online markets. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle if I were to get Mafia II 3 years later. The benefit of OnLive is the choices of rental options. However, publishers doesn't seem to take advantage of the 3-5 days rentals and wants the consumer to go full price. If OnLive does shut down early, that's a major problem that I can agree on.
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By George_Hukas
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @Cheapoz said:
    " Wow, OnLive has the BEST marketing people!  Srsly OnLive, you didn't even try. Hopefully GB.com perma-bans any and all coverage of your service in the future. "
    The user has 127 posts. Are you implying that OnLive planted him in the GB community, encouraged him to be an active member of it, and then to make a short, single topic about how they were nice to him?  I mean, at no point does that seem fucking insane to you? "
    Half of those posts are about Onlive, its just weird. He is also the same dude who did a video "review" of the beta gushing over it and ignoring everything wrong with it. You are entitled to your own opinion here but seriously, the name of this thread is highly suspect.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By StaticFalconar

Hey, Hey hey, onlive, just because I'm on a wireless network doesn't mean you can exclude me from your service. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's great that they're supporting their customers so much, even if it's obviously a publicity stunt.
    But I don't think my internet connection could support this and my computer is powerful enough to play most modern games anyway.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

Two free games and a micro-console for me then! 
    but yeah, the email says so (when it's coming out in your country)  
    So yay..  

Also, people who has lag with this thing: 
    Get off the welfare connection. Give the hamster in the wheel a break and get a good connection, ok pumpkin? 

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nekroskop

This tech is not ready yet. Maybe in 5 years time when ISPs are better. Could work really well in ie. Sweden or Norway, where fiberoptics are in 50% of the households

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @benjaebe said:
    That's because it is marketing.  This guy is a shill.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Saieno
    @Gonmog said: 

I mean come on how can you talk about "buying" the games no matter the cost and fail to talk about the fact that after 3 years...they are gone?

That's not really a fact as much as it is out-dated information. There's no three year limit on games anymore, just like there isn't a subscription fee to play the service. 

@cide said:

Half of those posts are about Onlive, its just weird. He is also the same dude who did a video "review" of the beta gushing over it and ignoring everything wrong with it. You are entitled to your own opinion here but seriously, the name of this thread is highly suspect. "

Yeah majority of the posts are about OnLive because I made a review about it and again had to defend myself against people thinking I'm some sort of marketing shill or corporate plant because I support a service they don't understand. Completely ignore the reviews I've written and other YouTube videos I've done, just because you disagree with me I'm some sort of corporate tool who is blinded by fanboism. Yeah...
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hitchenson

Nope.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60

The posts in this topic make me /facepalm in real life at this community.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By core1065

They gave me a year membership for free... I still haven't used it yet.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Azteck

Yay completely failed marketing! Wee!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wow I better sell my gaming pc rig so I can buy this and get a free game on onlive.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Saieno
    @core1065 said:
    " They gave me a year membership for free... I still haven't used it yet. "
    Dude the entire service is free, so not sure what you're even gloating about? 

@HitmanAgent47 said: 

"Wow I better sell my gaming pc rig so I can buy this and get a free game on onlive."

referr to my latest blog post  http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/saieno/onlive-get-the-facts/30-73096/ or does too many words frighten and intimidate you?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Saieno: no words doesn't frighten me, however it's great your a salesman for a product I will never buy in a billion years because i'm a pc gamer. Perhaps you didn't quite get my message. I couldn't careless about 720p trash with lag. I build my own gaming rigs and I don't need this trash. 

Why do I have to refer to your blog anyways? Or your marketing propaganda?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
    @benjaebe said:
    Why is it every time I see a post about OnLive it's from Saieno.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Saieno
    @Diamond said:

" @benjaebe said:

Why is it every time I see a post about OnLive it's from Saieno. "
    Hmm, I think there have been quite a few that I haven't started. Lets see here.... 

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/onlive/3406/
    The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Tolman
    @ZeForgotten said:
    " Two free games and a micro-console for me then! but yeah, the email says so (when it's coming out in your country)  So yay..   Also, people who has lag with this thing: Get off the welfare connection. Give the hamster in the wheel a break and get a good connection, ok pumpkin?  "
    Ok, you pay the extra money it will cost every month to switch internet providers and get a better connection. Then ill check out Onlive, oh wait i still wouldn't. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond
    @Saieno:  It's because you don't even know how to put your threads in the right forum.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Saieno
    @ProjectMayhem said:

" @ZeForgotten said:

" Two free games and a micro-console for me then! but yeah, the email says so (when it's coming out in your country)  So yay..   Also, people who has lag with this thing: Get off the welfare connection. Give the hamster in the wheel a break and get a good connection, ok pumpkin?  "
    Ok, you pay the extra money it will cost every month to switch internet providers and get a better connection. Then ill check out Onlive, oh wait i still wouldn't.  "
    Why the negativity? It's fucking free dude. FREE. You go to http://www.onlive.com and just download the thing. Login, play some games, watch others play games, IT'S FUCKING FREE!
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Saieno said:
    " just because you disagree with me I'm some sort of corporate tool who is blinded by fanboism. Yeah... "
    Rider, meet internet. Internet, meet rider.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Saieno
    @Diamond said:
    " @Saieno:  It's because you don't even know how to put your threads in the right forum. "
    I believe this is General Discussion and I make blog posts to inform people who doesn't already know about news or announcements etc. OnLive gave away stuff, putting it in the OnLive section would have been pointless. People have misconceptions about onlive and out-dated information, putting that in the onlive section would have been pointless as well. I guess there shouldn't be any general discussion section as any topic that specifically talks about a certain game should go into its forum section eh? 

Come now...
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By mike
    @Saieno said:

" @Diamond said:

" @Saieno:  It's because you don't even know how to put your threads in the right forum. "

I believe this is General Discussion and I make blog posts to inform people who doesn't already know about news or announcements etc. OnLive gave away stuff, putting it in the OnLive section would have been pointless. People have misconceptions about onlive and out-dated information, putting that in the onlive section would have been pointless as well. I guess there shouldn't be any general discussion section as any topic that specifically talks about a certain game should go into its forum section eh?  Come now... "
    I have just moved several of your topics regarding OnLive into the OnLive forum. Please start posting these things in the correct forum to save us the work of doing it for you. 

In other news, I am leaning towards siding with the majority of the community in that you are quite possibly a shill for the OnLive service. I am pretty close to deleting everything you have ever posted or blogged about OnLive. You are advised to tread carefully from this point forward. Whether you actually are a paid shill or not is besides the point - remember, the only thing that matters is what it looks like, and right now things don't look too good for you. 

Furthermore, General Discussion is for topics about games or the site that do not fit into any one specific category. If a topic is clearly about one game, concept, object, or character, then that's the board the topic goes in.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Saieno
    @MB said:

Furthermore, General Discussion is for topics about games or the site that do not fit into any one specific category. If a topic is clearly about one game, concept, object, or character, then that's the board the topic goes in. "

Fair enough. I always thought everyone was posting in the General Discussion, but apparently what I was looking at was an overview of all the forum activity. That was my mistake and I apologize.  

Forgive me for getting excited over a new console launch and service I use, which plays games just like any other console on the Giantbomb website (except mine is still considered a 'concept' instead of a 'platform', maybe thats the difference). When Homefront comes out and I mention I bought it on OnLive is that me being a shill or just adding to discussion about the game? I'm not sure if any of you are aware but shilling is definitely illegal, and I don't think any company would purposefully think it as a good idea. I don't own a 360 anymore, I sold it after the 4th red ring. I sold two of my PS3s and gave the other away because I wasn't playing it anymore as I'm more of an MMO player. I use OnLive as my main console because I can easily jump in and out of any game I wish, on any PC/Mac/Laptop/MicroConsole, and it has strong community features that I'm used to from MMOs. 

Like many here I was a huge follower of GameSpot before it started to suck, and loved the reviews from Jeff, Brad, Ryan, Greg, and Alex (forgive me if I forgot someone). I used to send Jeff messages asking how he had captured footage from the PSP as I was trying to do my own video reviews, back then though I was known as Typwn. Regardless I'm not a shill, just a gamer who wants to be a journalist for a gaming site...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Saieno:
    I have a serious question:  Any idea whether or not they're going to get a much bigger catalog of games soon?  I tried the free trials and it is something I would pay 10 bucks a month for when that plan comes out if they get a lot more games.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Saieno
    @xobballox said:
    " @Saieno: I have a serious question:  Any idea whether or not they're going to get a much bigger catalog of games soon?  I tried the free trials and it is something I would pay 10 bucks a month for when that plan comes out if they get a lot more games. "
    Yeah they have a lot of titles planned. In my written review I mention they wanted to have 50-60 titles before the end of 2010. When the PlayPack launches on January 14th they should have 40 games in that service, and they have 100 titles in the pipeline for launch throughout 2011.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.