OnLive Offering More Free-Year Memberships

• 53 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Earlier this month OnLive announced that it had quadrupled its original free subscription offer, giving its first 25,000 pre-subscribers a full 12 months of service as opposed to just three. That offer is now available to beyond those 25k folks (while availability lasts, of course.)

In a recent post on the official OnLive blog, the streaming team announced the "Founding Members Program," a first-come, first-served promotion poised to give anyone who signs-up a year of the service free with the option of having a second year locked in at a $4.95 month-to-month rate. 

Thanks, AT&T. Also, get your act together. I'd like to use my phone in cities.  
== TEASER == I'm a little late on sharing this as a result of E3 2010, but it appears as if the limited availability promotion is still up and running. Do note that even though the service will be free, the games will not. Also, you'll never own the games you purchase.

That said, the blog post also mentioned "a sampling" of the 20+ games that will be available on the service when it launches today (June 17) in just a couple of hours:

I'm down with giving OnLive a shot--especially if the iPad version ends up being worth it--so I'll definitely be giving it a spin. Plus, I always wanted to play Crysis or Borderlands on my Macintosh. Chock it up to simple platform envy. Anyway, jump in while it's free! 

UPDATE: This offer is indeed subject to availability. Also, GB user The_Laughing_Man reports that there is a waiting list for this deal. Let us know how signing-up for this thing goes for you.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Earlier this month OnLive announced that it had quadrupled its original free subscription offer, giving its first 25,000 pre-subscribers a full 12 months of service as opposed to just three. That offer is now available to beyond those 25k folks (while availability lasts, of course.)

In a recent post on the official OnLive blog, the streaming team announced the "Founding Members Program," a first-come, first-served promotion poised to give anyone who signs-up a year of the service free with the option of having a second year locked in at a $4.95 month-to-month rate. 

Thanks, AT&T. Also, get your act together. I'd like to use my phone in cities.  
== TEASER == I'm a little late on sharing this as a result of E3 2010, but it appears as if the limited availability promotion is still up and running. Do note that even though the service will be free, the games will not. Also, you'll never own the games you purchase.

That said, the blog post also mentioned "a sampling" of the 20+ games that will be available on the service when it launches today (June 17) in just a couple of hours:

I'm down with giving OnLive a shot--especially if the iPad version ends up being worth it--so I'll definitely be giving it a spin. Plus, I always wanted to play Crysis or Borderlands on my Macintosh. Chock it up to simple platform envy. Anyway, jump in while it's free! 

UPDATE: This offer is indeed subject to availability. Also, GB user The_Laughing_Man reports that there is a waiting list for this deal. Let us know how signing-up for this thing goes for you.
#2 Posted by fuzzy510 (206 posts) -

Free?  I'll pay free.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

You have to join a waiting list. Also. From what I heard their polices are real shady. 

#4 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

FREEDOM!

#5 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Any E3 presence this year? Haven't heard a single bit of news, except for this.

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

OnLive is not a good idea.

#7 Edited by TheMasterDS (2026 posts) -

I'll give it a shot for free. Could be good. 

Wait, I may have misinterpreted the word "Sampling." Do they mean that those games will be functional in a few hours? Well nevermind, just wasted a free slot I suppose. Didn't really read that post.

#8 Posted by uncleschmidty (13 posts) -

OnLive will not be a success, but it is definitely a great idea that will work once one of the 'Big 3' do something similar.

#9 Posted by beef_melody (262 posts) -

Sub + game cost = madness considering you're just renting.

#10 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

Judging by the big AT&T logo, I'm going to assume that this is not available in Canada.

#11 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:   Shady?  You don't say?  I thought they were completely reputable. ;)
#12 Posted by BadSniper52 (604 posts) -

meh

#13 Posted by cspanick (50 posts) -
@gosukiller: Yes, Onlive has a whole section set up where you can try it out at multiple stations.  They had a contest going where they were giving away three laptops and some onlive stuff. 
#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

All these offers...not looking good for OnLive.

#15 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@uncleschmidty said:
" OnLive will not be a success, but it is definitely a great idea that will work once one of the 'Big 3' do something similar. "
I don't necessarily disagree with you about OnLive in particular, but it doesn't have to be the Big 3 that does it for the idea to work.
#16 Posted by wonderhare (350 posts) -

Signed up - free is always good :D

#17 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

I suspect I will rent a few games to see how it runs on my old-ass PCs, and get a sense of this technology will work, once in the hands of a more competent publisher. After all, word on the street is that the end goal is for a major publisher/developer/console maker to see this, become a believer and use it for their next console/whatever. Also curious if this is being pitched as a possible work around for piracy on a publisher level.

#18 Posted by darkjester74 (1572 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" You have to join a waiting list. Also. From what I heard their polices are real shady.  "
Thanks for the info.  You sir, are a Super Class A Hacker!  :-)
#19 Posted by Jayzilla (2556 posts) -

it ain't HD til next year. I play all of the titles they have on their service in HD. There is no reason for me to play this.

#20 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

This sounds like just the kind of horrible investment stupid fucking idea that people routinely buy into.

#21 Posted by Crono (2644 posts) -

I will try it out but will still be stingy about what game I try the service out with XD

#22 Posted by Crayman (10 posts) -

" I'm down with giving OnLive a shot--especially if the iPad version ends up being worth it--so I'll definitely be giving it a spin.  "

What? What are you... Huh....Sure, have fun playing Borderlands and Assassins Creed 2 on an iPad. I guess.

#23 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -

I want this to die fast

#24 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -

Don't do it! You have to maintain for subscription indefinitely or you lose the content! And content is only guaranteed for 3 years. The online support is going to be lousy. Buyer beware.

OnLive is the most pointless thing on the market!

#25 Posted by Soniku (36 posts) -

Who has a WAITING LIST for a deal on a subscription to something? 

You have to pay for games, but you don't own them.  This is a joke.

#26 Edited by Damian (1538 posts) -

Subscription + Lack of any physical media + spotty DSL = no thank you, sirs and madams.

#27 Posted by Jedted (2329 posts) -

I'm surprised how few games are available at launch, in the beta you could play games like Crysis aswell as Mirror's Edge but i don't know why they don't have em now. 

The $4.95 subscrption sounds reasonable, more reasonable then $15 a month atleast.  I still think that this service can be a rousing success if they market it right but only time will tell. 
#28 Posted by iPhone_Tyler (136 posts) -

I'm in the private beta... it's just okay.

#29 Posted by Jimbo (9777 posts) -

Kinda getting the impression this isn't creating anything like the buzz they were expecting.

#30 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" You have to join a waiting list. Also. From what I heard their polices are real shady.  "
What policies are you exactly talking about?
#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ISuperGamerI said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
What policies are you exactly talking about? "
Your account and games are deleted if you unsub for 12 months. 

After three years. Even if you bought the game at retail price. They take it back from you. 
#32 Posted by Kazona (3060 posts) -

So we buy games, but we don't own them? That's retarded.

#33 Posted by Suigyoken (188 posts) -

It works but the only issue I had with the beta is that wifi wasn't supported, and even on a super fast fiber optic connection it looked like a bad youtube video. And when I heard you're just renting the games at full price well... that pretty much had me no wanting it at all anymore. Would have been cool to use my phone on it but it's just to spotty.

#34 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @ISuperGamerI said:
Your account and games are deleted if you unsub for 12 months.  After three years. Even if you bought the game at retail price. They take it back from you.  "
Damn that sounds crap, even Steam lets you own the games as long as their servers are online.
#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ISuperGamerI said:
" @ISuperGamerI said:
Your account and games are deleted if you unsub for 12 months.  After three years. Even if you bought the game at retail price. They take it back from you.  "
Damn that sounds crap, even Steam lets you own the games as long as their servers are online. "
You are pretty much renting their servers for three years. 
#36 Posted by Jjmb1993 (3 posts) -

This just screams of being a flop -_-

#37 Posted by EpsilonSE (176 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 

I don't know about the three years thing, but section 12 and 13 talk about active, suspended, and closed accounts. Active accounts work like normal. Suspended accounts mean you cant access their service, or your games or anything else, but you aren't paying for their service either (you can do this for 12 months). Closed accounts mean that everything is deleted: messages, downloads, purchased games, ect.

Basically, you don't really own anything. You pay for the service of playing these games. I would never really want to purchase games like this, but I wouldn't have a problem of paying for a kind of subscription for the games. 

I.E.: If I have a crappy laptop and wanted to play Crisis 2 when it comes out, I could accept paying $10 - $20 for a month of access to Crisis 2. If I get tired of it, I've finished the game for a fraction of the price. If I still like it, I'll buy a physical copy. But I don't want to purchase a full priced game to have it take away when my subscription runs out.
#38 Posted by Splodge (1080 posts) -

Only available in the USA? 

Ah well.

#39 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

I love this in concept. But at the end of the day having the games with me - be it physically or on a hard drive - will always out weigh this.

#40 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -

Free is good.

#41 Posted by Torrim (327 posts) -

There's no way this is going to work

#42 Posted by Pop (2612 posts) -

any word on the release in europe?

#43 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

I'm on the waiting list now, i guess that's cool.

#44 Posted by Dryker (491 posts) -

That's a nice line up of games. I wonder how they perform.
#45 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1140 posts) -

Sketchy tech + increasingly desperate attempts to draw in as many people as possible before it debuts?  WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG.

#46 Posted by rta (44 posts) -

steam.

#47 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4888 posts) -

I signed up. It said when/if it's available they'll send me an e-mail.

#48 Posted by jstans3 (4 posts) -

It's a good idea in theory but I am interested to see how it works out.  I'll try it tonight but I think it will be a few years before technology catches up to this.  Well before it's time IMHO.

#49 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

idk it looks good but it's policies seem shady .

#50 Posted by StriderNo9 (1084 posts) -

Signed up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.