Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

OnLive PlayPass free for the next two weeks - 18 free games

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By louiedog

According to OnLive's twitter account, for the next two weeks all OnLive PlayPass games are free to play. Launch OnLive, go to "my games" and choose "OnLive PlayPack Beta" to find them. If you're not currently an OnLive user you can sign up and download the client here. You don't need to give them your credit card.

The free games are:
    Alien Shooter: Vengeance
    Defense Grid Gold
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
    Frontlines: Fuel of War
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess
    Lego Batman
    NBA 2K10
    Ninja Blade
    Prince of Persia
    Puzzle Chronicles
    Saw
    Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Tropico 3
    Unreal Tournament III: Titan Pack
    Wheelman
    World of Goo
    Zombie Shooter 2 

Before people go getting their hopes up I would like to point out that a 3 Mbps connection is required a 5 Mbps connection is recommended. Other than that, requirements are very low.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

Wait, so I can play all these games for free?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Why can't OnLive exist in Canada? :(

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By louiedog
    @Gizmo said:
    " Wait, so I can play all these games for free? "
    Correct, for the next two weeks you can play them all you want.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

So I can play a bunch of outdated games I already own/played or had no desire to for free because most of the games are over 2 years old. Great where do I sign up ?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60
    @bartok said:
    " So I can play a bunch of outdated games I already own/played or had no desire to for free because most of the games are over 2 years old. Great where do I sign up ? "
    So you only posted so you could bash OnLive? Okay cool.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268
    @bartok said:
    " So I can play a bunch of outdated games I already own/played or had no desire to for free because most of the games are over 2 years old. Great where do I sign up ? "
    Because that's totally not what Steam is about.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@CL60 said:
    " @bartok said:
    So you only posted so you could bash OnLive? Okay cool. "
    Honestly I wanted to see the list of free games and I was disappointed.  I am glad to find out OnLive is not a scam like The Phantom or Gizmondo.  Good on them but they aren't going to win many customers with older 3rd Party games. 
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By louiedog
    @bartok said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @bartok said:
    So you only posted so you could bash OnLive? Okay cool. "
    Honestly I wanted to see the list of free games and I was disappointed.  I am glad to find out OnLive is not a scam like The Phantom or Gizmondo.  Good on them but they aren't going to win many customers with older 3rd Party games.  "
    This is their subscription section. These are the games you can play for $10/month. This is not their entire library. They still have games you pay for a la carte. Also, of course they're third party games you troll. Do you even listen to yourself?
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By gamb1t

What a bunch-a-who-cares

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Jack268 said:
    " @bartok said:
    Because that's totally not what Steam is about. "
    Steam has sales on current and very popular games. I got a bunch of high profile recent releases heavily discounted during the holiday sale. They also release most PC games at the same time as disc copies, and they often allow you to pre-order and pre-load some of the bigger games. Where as OnLive has VERY few recent games, and even fewer good games. And your also playing them in a really crummy way. Better than nothing, sure, but not better than playing them the way they are meant to be played: without countable lag.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " @Jack268 said:
    " @bartok said:
    Steam has sales on current and very popular games. I got a bunch of high profile recent releases heavily discounted during the holiday sale. They also release most PC games at the same time as disc copies, and they often allow you to pre-order and pre-load some of the bigger games. Where as OnLive has VERY few recent games, and even fewer good games. And your also playing them in a really crummy way. Better than nothing, sure, but not better than playing them the way they are meant to be played: without countable lag. "
    Steam sales almost always have incredibly old games..
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoXious
    @CL60:
    That, or not all that popular games. AvP ain't old and it was dirt cheap.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By louiedog

I can't believe this is going to turn into another onlive sucks thread. I'm not a huge fan myself. I haven't purchased anything, my credit card number isn't in the system, and I don't plan on doing business with them any time soon. However, right now I have 18 games that I can play on my old laptop while propped in bed with a controller. I can make it through couple of games I'm interested but haven't played with really no investment on my part. That's the bottom line for me. I come to Giant Bomb because I like to play games, not to play too-cool-for-school on the forums.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @CL60 said:

" @MordeaniisChaos said:

" @Jack268 said:
    " @bartok said:
    Steam has sales on current and very popular games. I got a bunch of high profile recent releases heavily discounted during the holiday sale. They also release most PC games at the same time as disc copies, and they often allow you to pre-order and pre-load some of the bigger games. Where as OnLive has VERY few recent games, and even fewer good games. And your also playing them in a really crummy way. Better than nothing, sure, but not better than playing them the way they are meant to be played: without countable lag. "
    Steam sales almost always have incredibly old games.. "
     Yup. But they ALSO have new games, and THAT is the difference. Borderlands GOTY edition, pretty recent release, was like 15 bucks or something during the holiday sale. New Vegas was pretty cheap at one point. And there were a good few other games that were recent, and a lot of big titles like BC2 were heavily discounted. And a lot of the old games they put on sale are still GOOD games. Games worth having. A lot of the games on this list though are pretty crappy. 
    The problem isn't that the games here are old. The problem is that they are ALL old, and not really big titles that got a lot of popularity.    
    You can't say, "well these two things have this trait in common so ignoring every other factor is a good way to compare them." You have to look at the big picture. I mean, sure, these are free, vs sales, but these games aren't that great, and that's why their free. The publishers said "the game is doing poorly enough that the only thing this could possibly do is convince a few people to buy the game who didn't before because they never tried it." And then it'll also rob the developers of the sales that these games would otherwise get if they weren't letting people beat them for free.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @louiedog said:
    " I can't believe this is going to turn into another onlive sucks thread. I'm not a huge fan myself. I haven't purchased anything, my credit card number isn't in the system, and I don't plan on doing business with them any time soon. However, right now I have 18 games that I can play on my old laptop while propped in bed with a controller. I can make it through couple of games I'm interested but haven't played with really no investment on my part. That's the bottom line for me. I come to Giant Bomb because I like to play games, not to play too-cool-for-school on the forums. "
    The GiantBomb community hates on everything really. Take your pick on 90% of the videos on this site regarding video games, most of the comments will be bashing it.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Mcfart

Kings Bounty being on here is really cool.

As for Onlive bashing....what did you expect from this service? Lag-free gaming? It's impossible until the world is able to connect with 10ms or lower...which would require a complete restructuring of our current interwebs.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By louiedog

New games available.

Titan Quest: Gold Edition
    Ceville
    The Maw
    Trine
    Madballsin in Babo: Invasion  

On week left to play for free.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@louiedog: Thanks for the update! Last time I used OnLive it worked pretty great, so I will definitely check this out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.