Onlive question

#1 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

Ok so let me get some ideas of what might happen here. I recently signed up for the free online account for 1 year. I noticed during the process that you need to live within the contiguous USA. I live in Hawaii. I downloaded the software and loaded it up..worked no problem. I tried a demo of a game, again no problems though  I did get a warning that there might be some latency. I did not notice any.

What do you think will happen if I buy a game and play it? I assume Onlive will be able to see that the traffic from their servers is going to Hawaii (I assume this is something they can do...I guess I don't really know). This is (I think) violating their terms of service. Do you think they'll just suspend my account? 
I don't really want to try to find out just yet..I'm going on a business trip in September to the mainland, and I'll buy a pass or something for that. I'm willing to experiment after that. Do you think I should contact the company and ask? I did initially and simply got the response that they did not yet offer service to Hawaii and hoped to in the future. They advised me to sign up for a free account just in case. I didn't really ask any more questions about it.

Do you think the issue is legal or technical? If its technical I assume I might have a lower quality of service than other folks..not a giant deal to me, but I can understand why they would want to control my impression of their service. If its a legal issue, its a little odd that they would exclude Hawaii and Alaska...

Anyway, give your opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.