A Few Masters of Code Run Through What to Expect Out of Operation FlashPoint: Red River

#1 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

RIVER OF RED. WISHED ARMA WAS ON CONSOLES. That would suck though.

#2 Posted by Xdsk (268 posts) -

This is a bit late, its been out for a while.

#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2729 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" RIVER OF RED "
RED RIVER, OF.
#4 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -
@Xdsk: Not in NA.
#5 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" RIVER OF RED "
RED RIVER, OF. "
Of red river
#6 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -
@Xdsk: In Europe it has, but it's not out until June in the US.
#7 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Super pumped to get this on 360, loving the coop aspect, not much into the whole competitive shooters like COD i prefer the coop.

#8 Posted by Xdsk (268 posts) -
@abdo said:
" @Xdsk: In Europe it has, but it's not out until June in the US. "
Oh right, just assumed it was released in the US before the UK.
Its got some nice new features that make the game a whole lot more enjoyable than the first.
#9 Posted by Karlif (46 posts) -

This game is really bad. That is all.    

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -

It's not out in the US?  That explains a few things - I assumed everybody had just ignored it.

It's a 7/10 btw.  8 if the AI is fixed by June.

#11 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I actually enjoyed playing the co-op online, but the game didn't play that great.

It was still fun, though, so I might rent it.
#12 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

This isn't Operation Flashpoint. They took the name and they've tainted it with immense levels of suckage.

#13 Posted by TurboMan (7542 posts) -

Operation: Red Rover

#14 Posted by mbr (43 posts) -
@Karlif said:
" This game is really bad. That is all.     "
eg "This is not like every other shooter on consoles, I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!! NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS" Get over yourself.
#15 Posted by JakeTaylor (309 posts) -

Menstruation: Red River

#16 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" It's not out in the US?  That explains a few things - I assumed everybody had just ignored it.It's a 7/10 btw.  8 if the AI is fixed by June. "
The AI wasn't fixed during the life of the first game, or for the release of this one. I'd hazard a guess that they would have fixed it by now if they could get it done before June :P
#17 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

RedRiverRedRi..Ri...RiverrrrrrZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

#18 Posted by Duecenage (213 posts) -

Is this game about dyking up the river so that Winnipeg doesn't get flooded this spring?

#19 Posted by PieGuy (313 posts) -

I was cheated out of my money by Dragon Rising with the absolutely false claims of content from Codemasters. No thanks.

#20 Posted by Device (47 posts) -

Game is total crap a dumbed down version of original OPFOR. ARMA I and II are they way to go.

#21 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

Umm I finished this game a good while ago now.. Strange to see video of it here.

#22 Posted by shadystx (182 posts) -

Played an hour or two and it's a decent game, The best thing is its different to the majority of modern shooters, It is slower than COD as it's more tactical, it's more of a simulation than COD.
It is enjoyable and a breath of fresh air as COD and it's clones are getting old fast.
It's funny to see all the comments online about this game, Allot of hate from some people who continue to say " it sucks,i will stick with COD", basically anything that is not using the excat same controls and feel of COD is garbage.

I dont want to live in a world where we only play the same games every 1-2 years with minor improvements, I love modern games epecially how stories have greatly improved but there are vey few publishers & developers willing to take a gamble on something different because the only games that sell well are the same franchises, The problem is them other games are not selling enough to be profitable, it seems like its either a few millon seller or a bust, over the years the middle ground is where we have seen games with different and unique ideas but they are becoming few and far between.

#23 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I think at this stage everyone knows the story with the OFP name so we can all stop constantly spouting it in the forums. This game looks kinda fun and at least in a better state than Dragon Rising was. The reviews were pretty decent for it as well but I suppose they were for DR too. The word of mouth is much better though. I may pick it up if its cheaper on Steam or if I see it in a shop.  

#24 Edited by Nicholas (397 posts) -

I'm almost done with this game. Ha!

EDIT: Oh, and did I mention achievements?
#25 Posted by Nicholas (397 posts) -

Seeing an AN/PAQ-1 on a shotgun just looks weird to me. 

The shoelaces around the optics and AN/PAQ is a nice attention to detail. They're not holding the units on. They are there incase they get lose, preventing them from falling off completely, if I'm not mistaken.
#26 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

Watching this made me miss Rainbow Six.
#27 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

SGT. Knox is probably one of the worst written characters I've had the displeasure of listening to in a long time. And this whole 'riding between stages on a quad/back of truck' to lengthen short single-player campaigns isn't fooling anyone.

If there's no pvp then your AI better be up to scratch. This game fails as a result.

#28 Edited by thomasonfa (320 posts) -

Codemasters I sort of liked the first one but this one is farther dumbed down. I felt that OF: DR was already lacking. So I am very cautious of this version. As G.W. Bush said, "Fool me once...and I can't get fooled again."

It seems it is now just a "Me too shooter"... :-(
#29 Posted by Bengosha (35 posts) -

Hate the camera effect idea. I'm a guy in a grass field, not a shitty webcam with a gun.

#30 Posted by MeatSim (10855 posts) -

They should clean up their abandoned building, it's a mess.

#31 Posted by D_O_A (77 posts) -
@Karlif:  Yeah agreed, it's horrible.  I played it on PC, it looks absolutely awful, the script is absolute US marine gung ho trash.   Had no idea this turd hadn't already came out everywhere. 

Avoid at all costs.
#32 Posted by cwdawg1224 (277 posts) -

Is that their game studio? Fancy shmanzy.

#33 Posted by Nights (614 posts) -

I'll stick to ARMA 2 with the A.C.E 2 mod thank you very much. No need for Codemasters dumbed down, butchered "re-imagining" of OFP. What a waste.

#34 Posted by ApocalypseLater (100 posts) -

I'm still waiting for another shooter  to just straight up take the Brother's in arms command ring. It's probably not suitable for a game that's supposed to be as tactical as Operation Flashpoint, but  it would be great in a squad based shooter.

#35 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

I had this in my hand in-store for a few minutes until I felt some sort of ethereal force make me put it back down…

#36 Posted by Grillbar (1834 posts) -
i have this game and i have to say the ai is bad. they will often get stuck on things or move back and forward rapidly. i was stuck in a mission for about 7min waiting for alpha team to get in to position, reason: a team member of that squad was stuck on a crashed chopper. and its not like someone shot it down and it was in the path of the ai it was allready there as part of the senarie. i have died by bleeding out even though all 3 of my team members was less the 2 meters away from me and there was no enemy to engage but they were blocking each other. thats just some of the problems with the ai
#37 Posted by enemymouse (332 posts) -

Having just replaced a laptop with a bad videocard, those colour-block artifacts are not something I want to see on my screen ever again. 

#38 Posted by Applederp (116 posts) -

ArmA and ArmA 2 are insanely better than this hunk of garbage

Anybody play ArmA 2 online? It's pretty fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.