Operation Flashpoint: Red River Announced

• 107 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

On the heels of a UK-based event reveal, Codemasters has announced a new entry in the Operation Flashpoint franchise, subtitled Red River. But unlike others, the focus of the simulation FPS will be on its four-player co-op campaign.

According to Codemasters, Red River will usher in a host of enhancements over the previous title, Dragon Rising. It's a list that includes new class roles, customizable upgrades, better inventory management, and smarter AI. 

Red River is set in a modern world and is poised to feature a narrative-led campaign that pits the US Marine Corps against the Chinese PLA along the Vakhsh River. Drop-in and drop-out co-op during this campaign is being positioned as a key feature for the overall compliment that the game itself is "being built around," according to creative director Sion Lenton in a statement. 

“In creating Operation Flashpoint: Red River, we’re building on our strengths whilst taking on board feedback from the community and focusing on key areas and enhancements to further refine the Flashpoint experience,” executive producer Adam Parsons said in a statement. Good to know, considering Dragon Rising wasn't the best Flashpoint experience thus far.

Operation Flashpoint: Red River is coming in 2011 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

On the heels of a UK-based event reveal, Codemasters has announced a new entry in the Operation Flashpoint franchise, subtitled Red River. But unlike others, the focus of the simulation FPS will be on its four-player co-op campaign.

According to Codemasters, Red River will usher in a host of enhancements over the previous title, Dragon Rising. It's a list that includes new class roles, customizable upgrades, better inventory management, and smarter AI. 

Red River is set in a modern world and is poised to feature a narrative-led campaign that pits the US Marine Corps against the Chinese PLA along the Vakhsh River. Drop-in and drop-out co-op during this campaign is being positioned as a key feature for the overall compliment that the game itself is "being built around," according to creative director Sion Lenton in a statement. 

“In creating Operation Flashpoint: Red River, we’re building on our strengths whilst taking on board feedback from the community and focusing on key areas and enhancements to further refine the Flashpoint experience,” executive producer Adam Parsons said in a statement. Good to know, considering Dragon Rising wasn't the best Flashpoint experience thus far.

Operation Flashpoint: Red River is coming in 2011 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.    
#2 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

looks cool

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21759 posts) -

Never got around to really playing Dragon Rising.  Popped it in the Xbox one time, and I felt like I was overwhelmed by it, so I just skipped it.  Might need to check it out for reals one of these days.

#4 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

All they need to do to get me excited is to take out the "Operation Flashpoint"ness of the game.

#5 Posted by hedfone (1731 posts) -
@crono11 said:
" All they need to do to get me excited is to take out the "Operation Flashpoint"ness of the game. "
#6 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" @crono11 said:
" All they need to do to get me excited is to take out the "Operation Flashpoint"ness of the game. "
"
#7 Posted by fedorajay (404 posts) -

I wanted to try Dragon Rising but heard it was crippled by bugs. I'd love a hardcore sim shooter so here's hoping this is better.

#8 Posted by Management (593 posts) -

I hope it will support Spilt-Screen and not just coop over the internet

#9 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Dragon Rising was rubbish hope this is better.

#10 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@ShaneDev said:
" Dragon Rising was rubbish hope this is better. "
Agreed
#11 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" Never got around to really playing Dragon Rising.  Popped it in the Xbox one time, and I felt like I was overwhelmed by it, so I just skipped it.  Might need to check it out for reals one of these days. "
I pretty much did the same, carried out a few missions, tried to go back to it, forgot all the controls, and just felt overwhelmed, I do like the game from what I've played, just getting into it though.
#12 Posted by Baljot187 (93 posts) -
Dragon Rising was actually a heck of a lot of fun once you got into it. No other game gave me the same kind of tactical experience. 
#13 Edited by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

I'm on board with the tactical approach. MAG starts to  feel close, but that rarely lasts long, before everyone goes into a free-for-all. I miss the days of Rainbow Six, where I got to map out my whole assault ahead of time.

#14 Posted by MagickPants (3 posts) -
@Baljot187 said:
" Dragon Rising was actually a heck of a lot of fun once you got into it. No other game gave me the same kind of tactical experience.  "
I found the game engaging as well, kind of like ArmA2 light only I could actually run Dragon Rising where I couldn't really run ArmA2 very well.
#15 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

"US Marine Corps against the Chinese PLA"

How exciting.

#16 Posted by schiz_o_phren_ic (23 posts) -

Predecessors bored me to ZZZZ...

#17 Posted by D_O_A (77 posts) -
Dragon Rising was horrible, I will stick to Arma 1+2 for my milsim needs.  Codemasters can only develop decent racing games these days it seems.
#18 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

I hope they dont ditch LAN play.

#19 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Oh God, enough with the modern shooters please...

#20 Posted by Y2Ken (1284 posts) -

I was tempted to pick up the last one, but in the end I couldn't justify it, realistic shooters probably aren't the biggest draw for me. I'm always willing to be converted though.

#21 Posted by zkillz (93 posts) -

really liked dragon rising. it was exactly what i imaged if grid was a FPS, but was a bit less technical than the arma games. it was also gorgeous.

looking forward to this instalment. 

#22 Edited by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

More concept art/target render "screenshots". Good to see they're sticking with the same bullshit marketing campaign. Not to hard too extrapolate the same bullshit end product.

NO PVP (!)
NO flying Helicopters
NO playing as medic

Get ready for the most realistic war simulator ever™ !

#23 Posted by puercoperro335 (91 posts) -

not sure if I'm interested...

#24 Posted by Choronzon (7 posts) -

Cool, it will be nice to see how this one turns out.  I quite enjoyed playing Dragon Rising co-op with friends.  I just hope this one is a bit better and the enemies don't soak up bullets like they did in DR.  

#25 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Get rid of Microsoft Sam voices and create personalities please.

#26 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

I'll stick with the dudes that made the original Operation Flashpoint games and play ARMA 2 instead.
...even though i suck at it...and the voice overs are godawful.
ENEMY - man - To our - RIGHT - flank - ...far

#27 Posted by InfamousBIG (3227 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:
" I'll stick with the dudes that made the original Operation Flashpoint games and play ARMA 2 instead.
...even though i suck at it...and the voice overs are godawful.
ENEMY - man - To our - RIGHT - flank - ...far "
Would you say that ArmA II and it's standalone expansion are worth the $50 bucks they're bundled for on Steam?  I'm seriously considering getting them.  I played the demos of both, and liked them very much.
#28 Posted by thebigJ_A (1002 posts) -

I've never played OF. Is it any good? 
#29 Posted by CreativeColossi (215 posts) -
@InfamousBIG: If you love running. It's a solid experience, but can sometimes be pretty buggy and pretty frustrating. interesting nonetheless, I just use it to make battles in the editor.
#30 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" "US Marine Corps against the Chinese PLA"  How exciting. "
what else do you need in a video game? 
#31 Edited by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Watch me not give a single shit about another goddamned modern first person shooter.

Ugh.

#32 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -
@thebigJ_A said:
" I've never played OF. Is it any good?  "
OF is a classic game. Dragon Rising is not Operation Flashpoint. They merely bought the name and then delivered a cheap mess of a game that can only be described as a parody of OF.
#33 Edited by Kovski (170 posts) -

Man  Dragon Rising was so bad, it tried to be Modern warfare but still pretend to be Operation Flashpoint, but it just ripped out what made the first game.. the first game, it like Codemasters just took a big dump over it's legacy and decided "heck let's put out a broken ass game so we can sell some copies to people who still want an operation flashpoint game"

Wonder how Red River will hold up. My hopes ain't high.

#34 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -

Hopefully it won't control like a ball shattering truck load of ass on the PC like Dragon Rising does.

#35 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -

I actually found Dragon Rising to be not bad, and somehwat easier to get into the whole realism shooter than Arma 2 was so a sequel is good news.

#36 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

The only thing making Dragon Rising interesting enough to be playable was the mission editor for the PC version. Codemasters take on the was simulator is pure bullshit compared to Bohemia's ArmA. IK shouldn't really say anything without having seen any gameplay from this game yet, but I fear the worst.

#37 Posted by PorkPie (4 posts) -

I could barely run the first one

#38 Posted by Wandrecanada (415 posts) -

Dragon Rising had some potential but the terrible AI shifting from godlike snipers to cardboard cutouts and the multiplayer that boasted a whole 4 players (on consoles) in maps a square mile in size hampered nearly every attempt at getting joy from it.  If they aren't willing to come out with information suggesting that the MP will have player populations over 12 or that the campaign structure is more diverse with less AI irregularities I wouldn't try the demo if they paid me.

#39 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Heard the first game was plagued by bugs, so that's a bummer.

#40 Posted by dwakley (29 posts) -

Hope its better than  the last!

#41 Posted by xXwindoverXx (290 posts) -

I hope this is better

#42 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

That is... certainly news...

#43 Posted by Buccura (213 posts) -

No thanks, after Dragon Rising letting me down I will not bother with this.

#44 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -
@fedorajay said:
" I wanted to try Dragon Rising but heard it was crippled by bugs. I'd love a hardcore sim shooter so here's hoping this is better. "
It truly was, played some and just couldn't stand the irritations that came with the bugs. Hoping for something better this time.
#45 Edited by Onno10 (405 posts) -

This reminds me how much I want a new joint operations :(

#46 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

Fuck this shit, I'll just stick with Arma 2. At least Arma 2 still tries to be a simulator.

#47 Posted by RJ (124 posts) -

For the better milsim experience, go Arma 2 all the way. No compromises.

#48 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@fedorajay said:
" I wanted to try Dragon Rising but heard it was crippled by bugs. I'd love a hardcore sim shooter so here's hoping this is better. "
Same I played it with my cousin and the game felt lame and unrealistic.
#49 Posted by Kaiven (21 posts) -

Does anyone still play this game?

#50 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -

The first Operation Flashpoint was crippled with bugs, bad graphics, wonky controls, and overall just sucking. I know it was supposed to be a SIM shooter, but Codemasters seriously could've made the game a lot more accessible and clean. 
HOPEFULLY, this one's a lot better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.