Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Operation Flashpoint

Franchise »

A military simulator FPS franchise for the consumer market aimed at realistic gameplay and battlefield strategies. Emphasis is on authentic modern combat, from planning, through deployment and to real-time battle tactics. The game's follow in-depth storylines featuring military disputes between NATO and her enemies.

Videogames Of My Childhood: Operation Flashpoint.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

OPERATION FLASHPOINT (PC)

Three months have passed since I last wrote up one of these, and I felt it was about time that I got around to discussing another special game of my childhood. Now thinking back, I'm not totally sure I was exactly a child when I spent my time endlessly playing this very special PC game. In fact I might have been more teenager then child, but what does that matter right now. What does matter is the game, and it's a game I know a lot of PC gamers have fond memories of. Operation Flashpoint was developed by Bohemia Interactive Studios and was a rather different take on your average war based videogame. Offering a much more realistic representation of virtual warfare, it gave us gamers the chance to experience the hectic atmosphere of war without having to suffer the rather unpleasant feeling of bullets entering our flesh. 

In Operation Flashpoint, you see one of these. You run for cover!!
    Anyone whose ever had a chance to play this game, will know that at times it could be one of the most frustrating games in living existance. I still recall the memory of picking up the 'Game of the Year' edition, which included the original game and it's two memorable expansion packs of Cold War: Crisis and Resistance. All in all it cost me a rather simple five pound sterling at a local shop, probably the best five pounds I've ever spent. Now don't get me wrong, I honestly hated Operation Flashpoint for the first few days. For the most part it made a terrible first impression on those unfamilar with it's concepts and general features. But after a week of blood, sweat and toil. It all made sudden sense on a lovely Saturday morning, it made sense because I suddenly realized that the whole point of this historic PC game was about playing a small part in a much larger war. Being a small gear in a much bigger machine.

Death came quickly and rather easily, decide to run into a forest full of enemy targets and you'll probably end up dead before you even reached the first tree. It was that sort of a game and while there are understandably those that took a dislike to such a realistic sort of videogame, there were gamers who simply fell in love with Operation Flashpoint. I was one such person, and there were many more who understood what made it such a memorable game in the first place. Of course we shouldn't also forget the powerful editor, which for the most part was very user friendly. I don't recall spending that much time in OFP's editor, I believe that was partly due to my lack of interest in learning how to use it. I was much younger at the time and the single player campaign alone was entertaining enough, though I did later get to experience some fantastic missions designed and planned out by members of the community. 

The community played a large part in Operation Flashpoint's rise to fame and even today it's going strong, although developing and creating content for Bohemia Interactives newest franchise Armed Assault rather then Operation Flashpoint. Community content support is as strong today, as it ever was and continues to release new military vehicles, units, missions and all sorts of wonderful add-ons. While Armed Assault (or ArmA as it's commonly known) as taken on the baton from Operation Flashpoint, it's still OFP that is most fondly remembered and the one game many PC gamers recall so well from what some might say as the golden days of PC gaming. It was a far from perfect experience with bugs hurting the game throughout, not to mention the often poor animations and questionable A.I (issues that still affect ArmA today). But dig through that messy dirt and you'd find a truly fascinating game, a game that even to this day keeps gamers on the edge like no other videogame out there. 

Being part of a squad was key to survival.
    It's always surprised me how few developers have tried to tap into this realistic genre of warfare, especially now that we seem to be seeing many more arcade styled first-person shooters. It could be argued that such a game could only truly be done on PC, and while a console version of the newest ArmA title as been discussed, it seems like a tough job to achieve such a thing. It should be noted that a console version of Operation Flashpoint was released, though it was poorly received and clearly showed why such a game suits PC better. But who knows, maybe one day we will see a worthy realistic warfare simulator on console. Codemasters are developing a new Operation Flashpoint though the interest in such a game seems low, probably due to it not being developed by Bohemia Interactive. 

Operation Flashpoint was very much a 'you at to be there' experience, it reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy 7.  Now I never played Final Fantasy 7 when I was younger, but it's said to be the best videogame ever made by those that love it dearly and I shan't argue that. Despite the fact that playing it for the first time today made me realize why I hate Final Fantasy games, but Operation Flashpoint is very much the same. You at to play it at the time of it's original release to truly appreciate what it achieved. It hasn't aged well and even the more modern ArmA games struggle with the exact same issues that bugged OFP so much. But if your looking to get a taste of what it's all about, then I highly recommend you check out ArmA 2 which is currently being released at different dates around the World. It's available for purchase in the United Kingdom right now and parts of Europe have had the game for some months. 

Operation Flashpoint was a unique sort of beast that was never always the most pleasant of rides. It was often glitchy and bugs were to be found throughout, but no game offered such an epic experience like Operation Flashpoint. Being part of a simple squad of soldiers or commanding a powerful tank unit over war-torn hills never got old. Some might say it was partly unappreciated at the time and it's only looking back that we realize what a wonderful game Bohemia Interactive created. I have many fond memories of great battles and epic moments, there was something oddly special about it that not all those who played it understood. A deep meaningful singleplayer experience, a rather user friendly yet powerful editor and so much more made Operation Flashpoint one of the best PC games of my childhood. I could go on and on about why I think it was such a special game, but if your reading this then theres a chance you've played it yourself and you probably already know how great a game it was. Appreciating Operation Flashpoint was as important a factor, as understanding what it was all about. 

What are the games of your childhood, that made you the gamer you are today?

Thanks for Reading, 

Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    (Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

OPERATION FLASHPOINT (PC)

Three months have passed since I last wrote up one of these, and I felt it was about time that I got around to discussing another special game of my childhood. Now thinking back, I'm not totally sure I was exactly a child when I spent my time endlessly playing this very special PC game. In fact I might have been more teenager then child, but what does that matter right now. What does matter is the game, and it's a game I know a lot of PC gamers have fond memories of. Operation Flashpoint was developed by Bohemia Interactive Studios and was a rather different take on your average war based videogame. Offering a much more realistic representation of virtual warfare, it gave us gamers the chance to experience the hectic atmosphere of war without having to suffer the rather unpleasant feeling of bullets entering our flesh. 

Anyone whose ever had a chance to play this game, will know that at times it could be one of the most frustrating games in living existance. I still recall the memory of picking up the 'Game of the Year' edition, which included the original game and it's two memorable expansion packs of Cold War: Crisis and Resistance. All in all it cost me a rather simple five pound sterling at a local shop, probably the best five pounds I've ever spent. Now don't get me wrong, I honestly hated Operation Flashpoint for the first few days. For the most part it made a terrible first impression on those unfamilar with it's concepts and general features. But after a week of blood, sweat and toil. It all made sudden sense on a lovely Saturday morning, it made sense because I suddenly realized that the whole point of this historic PC game was about playing a small part in a much larger war. Being a small gear in a much bigger machine.

Death came quickly and rather easily, decide to run into a forest full of enemy targets and you'll probably end up dead before you even reached the first tree. It was that sort of a game and while there are understandably those that took a dislike to such a realistic sort of videogame, there were gamers who simply fell in love with Operation Flashpoint. I was one such person, and there were many more who understood what made it such a memorable game in the first place. Of course we shouldn't also forget the powerful editor, which for the most part was very user friendly. I don't recall spending that much time in OFP's editor, I believe that was partly due to my lack of interest in learning how to use it. I was much younger at the time and the single player campaign alone was entertaining enough, though I did later get to experience some fantastic missions designed and planned out by members of the community. 

The community played a large part in Operation Flashpoint's rise to fame and even today it's going strong, although developing and creating content for Bohemia Interactives newest franchise Armed Assault rather then Operation Flashpoint. Community content support is as strong today, as it ever was and continues to release new military vehicles, units, missions and all sorts of wonderful add-ons. While Armed Assault (or ArmA as it's commonly known) as taken on the baton from Operation Flashpoint, it's still OFP that is most fondly remembered and the one game many PC gamers recall so well from what some might say as the golden days of PC gaming. It was a far from perfect experience with bugs hurting the game throughout, not to mention the often poor animations and questionable A.I (issues that still affect ArmA today). But dig through that messy dirt and you'd find a truly fascinating game, a game that even to this day keeps gamers on the edge like no other videogame out there. 

It's always surprised me how few developers have tried to tap into this realistic genre of warfare, especially now that we seem to be seeing many more arcade styled first-person shooters. It could be argued that such a game could only truly be done on PC, and while a console version of the newest ArmA title as been discussed, it seems like a tough job to achieve such a thing. It should be noted that a console version of Operation Flashpoint was released, though it was poorly received and clearly showed why such a game suits PC better. But who knows, maybe one day we will see a worthy realistic warfare simulator on console. Codemasters are developing a new Operation Flashpoint though the interest in such a game seems low, probably due to it not being developed by Bohemia Interactive. 

Operation Flashpoint was very much a 'you at to be there' experience, it reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy 7.  Now I never played Final Fantasy 7 when I was younger, but it's said to be the best videogame ever made by those that love it dearly and I shan't argue that. Despite the fact that playing it for the first time today made me realize why I hate Final Fantasy games, but Operation Flashpoint is very much the same. You at to play it at the time of it's original release to truly appreciate what it achieved. It hasn't aged well and even the more modern ArmA games struggle with the exact same issues that bugged OFP so much. But if your looking to get a taste of what it's all about, then I highly recommend you check out ArmA 2 which is currently being released at different dates around the World. It's available for purchase in the United Kingdom right now and parts of Europe have had the game for some months. 

Operation Flashpoint was a unique sort of beast that was never always the most pleasant of rides. It was often glitchy and bugs were to be found throughout, but no game offered such an epic experience like Operation Flashpoint. Being part of a simple squad of soldiers or commanding a powerful tank unit over war-torn hills never got old. Some might say it was partly unappreciated at the time and it's only looking back that we realize what a wonderful game Bohemia Interactive created. I have many fond memories of great battles and epic moments, there was something oddly special about it that not all those who played it understood. A deep meaningful singleplayer experience, a rather user friendly yet powerful editor and so much more made Operation Flashpoint one of the best PC games of my childhood. I could go on and on about why I think it was such a special game, but if your reading this then theres a chance you've played it yourself and you probably already know how great a game it was. Appreciating Operation Flashpoint was as important a factor, as understanding what it was all about. 

What are the games of your childhood, that made you the gamer you are today?

Thanks for Reading, 

Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    (Twitter: JosephBayliss)

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaneDev

It was a nice read

I liked OFP and all of its expansions except for red hammer which was crap but when i saw arma 1 i thought thats ofp with slighty better graphics and lossed interest i might get ofp 2 tho or arma 2

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By hsvlad

Operation Flashpoint was the first PC game I ever pre-ordered, I bought it the first day it came out and I've never looked back. I can honestly say that I've had gotten more out of one game. Considering that I trade back just about every game I have ever owned, I proud to say that I still own my original copy of Flashpoint, Red Hammer and Resistance. I also dont think I've had a pc that hasn't had Flashpoint installed on it at somepoint.

God I miss it, I really hope CodeMasters sequal is able to hold water, a campaign with full coop, that would make sneaking out of enemy territory even more pants-wettingly terrifiying if I could do it with a buddy.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By pweidman

I've never played Flashpoint, but I'm a huge fan of Ghost Recon(the original series, not GRAW so much).  Anyway, this new OPFlash game coming this fall has potential to be good.  Codies has spent the time and dedicated the resources like no other game of theirs reportedly.  The largest dev team they've ever assembled according to teamxbox.  Anyway, IGN UK did a pre-E3 preview that indeed confirms 4 player co-op throughout the campaign, woot woot woot!!!!!.  And apparently they've used L4D as a model/template for the co-op.  All good news.   Looking forward to this game very much now.  Here's the article linky: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/987/987329p1.html

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I played the demo of Operation Flashpoint and quickly realized I was in over my head. I never ventured back. I always felt I missed out on something great. I was a big Computer Gaming Monthly subscriber at the time and it got great critical praise and was CGM's game of the year. I felt like I just was not good enough for that game. I hate when that happens, but it happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.