Is "Orange" One or Two Syllables?

#1 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

I recently disagreed with my sister about how many syllables are in the word “orange.”   I said one, she said two, so I looked it up in the dictionary.   At first I thought she was right, because the entry in bold was or·ange.   However, I read the explanatory notes in the beginning of the dictionary, and they said that the entry word only shows how the word is hyphenated, not necessarily how many syllables are in it. 

Then I looked at the pronunciation.   There are six ways.

Pronunciation: \är-inj, är(-ə)nj; chiefly Northern & Midland ȯr-inj, ȯr(-ə)nj\

How are there six?   Well, the (-ə) is pronounced by some people, but omitted by others.   So the answer is orange can have one or two syllables.   I pronounce it /ȯrnj/.

Source: Merriam-Webster.com

#2 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

Eh.. it's two? I can't imagine pronouncing it as one syllable.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

this should have been a godforsaken poll. 

#4 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic:
Yeah, sorry about that.  I created this thread from the Orange wiki page, which doesn't allow polls.  I should've created it from the Newest Forums page, clicked "Make a Poll Instead" and then changed the category to orange.  Too late now.
#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11936 posts) -

Heh, now after reading this I can't stop playing through different pronounciations of "orange" in my mind  . 

I pronounce it with 2-syllables. I would tell you how I pronounce it, but I've never really been able to work out the phonetic alphabet, but it's something like 'orrinj'.

#6 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" this should have been a godforsaken poll.  2. "
Everything here is sooth.
#7 Edited by Jeust (10648 posts) -

Looks like your sister is right. 
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070522191458AAhU1Ee     

And it looks according to the definition of syllable 
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerms/WhatIsASyllable.htm     

#8 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Oarns...?! 
#9 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

Think how it's said in Reservoir Dogs, "Mr. Orange." That's the cool way to say orange.

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by Capum15 (4900 posts) -

I say 2.

#11 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

Phew!  I was afraid at first when MB came back online and this thread was up  :-)
#12 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

2, but saying o-range seperated sounds weird to me, so I can see where you're coming from.
#13 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Wait? Are you thinking phoenetically or technically? Otherwise, it's two syllables. There's no other way of pronouncing it regardless of accent or dialect.

#14 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

2 no question

#15 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I recently disagreed with my sister about how many syllables are in the word “orange.”   I said one.

#16 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
"Wait? Are you thinking phoenetically or technically? Otherwise, it's two syllables. There's no other way of pronouncing it regardless of accent or dialect. "

I'm thinking phonetically.  I don't know, it sounds like one syllable to me when I say it.
#17 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@insouciant said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
"Wait? Are you thinking phoenetically or technically? Otherwise, it's two syllables. There's no other way of pronouncing it regardless of accent or dialect. "
I'm thinking phonetically.  I don't know, it sounds like one syllable to me when I say it. "
You're doing it wrong.
#18 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@insouciant said:

and they said that the entry word only shows how the word is hyphenated, not necessarily how many syllables are in it. 

If the word can be hyphenated, it must be more than one syllable. Single-syllable words are never hyphenated.
#19 Posted by TurboMan (7542 posts) -

It's two syllables 

if it was one syllable, it would be spelled ornge... and that's just silly

#20 Edited by insouciant (710 posts) -
@haggis said

If the word can be hyphenated, it must be more than one syllable. Single-syllable words are never hyphenated. 

I used the wrong word.  Instead of saying "hyphenated," I should've said the entry word in the dictionary had an "end-of-line division" between "or" and "ange."  End-of-line divisions and pronunciations don't always coincide.  The dictionary gives the example of the word "metric." 

hyphenation:  \ ˈme-trik\ 
end-of-line division: met·ric 

Edit: Oh, so to conclude, I will concede that no word would have an end-of-line divison in it if it couldn't be pronounced as two syllables.  But since orange can be pronounced as either one or two syllables, orange is a one syllable word that has an end-of-line division in it.
#21 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@eroticfishcake:
If you think that's weird, the dictionary also says that some people pronounce the word "boil" as one syllable.
#22 Posted by onimonkii (2442 posts) -

oh-ran-juh

#23 Posted by heatDrive88 (2337 posts) -

Definetely 2. If you keep saying it as one syllable, you may be suffering from the some mild lazy-english language defect that causes people to mix syllables (or even words) together, similar to when people use words like "kinda" or "sorta", or to a further extreme, "y'all".
#24 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
#25 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

"It's two syllables  if it was one syllable, it would be spelled ornge... and that's just silly "

Orange ya glad I didn't analyze banana? 
\bə-ˈna-nə, especially British -ˈnä-\  
#26 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

just say ORENG it sound so identical to ORANGE, and is one syllable 

#27 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

OR-ANGE

2 mofo.

#28 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

A Kid Teaches His Grandma How to Say "Orange Juice." 

#29 Posted by onimonkii (2442 posts) -

orange is cool because it is both a flavor and a color, like purple.

#30 Edited by insouciant (710 posts) -

There's also an orange.com.  It's owned by France Telecom.
#31 Posted by Deadmanforking (577 posts) -

Dude there is no way to find out. Its a mystery! No one will ever know the real answer!

#32 Posted by BeachThunder (11936 posts) -
Gabe demonstrates the pronunciation of the word orange (0:14):

Also, watching this video in 2010 is kind of hilarious D:
#33 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Two syllables, there's no way in the world it can have one.

#34 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -
@haggis said:
" @insouciant said:

and they said that the entry word only shows how the word is hyphenated, not necessarily how many syllables are in it. 

If the word can be hyphenated, it must be more than one syllable. Single-syllable words are never hyphenated. "
My-ass
#35 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

How the fuck can it have only one?

I keep trying to picture it, but I can't.

#36 Posted by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

Is this really a question?

Two syllables no matter what crazy country ass backwoods dialect of English you may speak.

#37 Posted by Smokay (525 posts) -

Or-un-din-ge THERE IS 4 NOT 2

#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

The weirdo "ornj" pronunciation still has two syllables when I try to use it.

#39 Edited by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

I still don't understand how it could be 1 syllable. I just see no way you could pronounce it that way. Record yourself saying it or something. 

@insouciant said: 

@eroticfishcake: If you think that's weird, the dictionary also says that some people pronounce the word "boil" as one syllable. "

Boil can easily be 1 syllable as well as 2. A lot easier than orange. You must have some weird thick ass accent.
#40 Posted by alternate (2705 posts) -

Always held to be one syllable.  I remember they talk about it a lot in English Lit classes as poets hold it as one of those rare words with no rhymes for it.

Even though we obviously pronounce it as two sylable that doesn't mean it isn't one by the strict definition.  Just get any American (and a number of English people) to pronounce Worcester (as in Sauce) and count the syllables.

#41 Posted by alternate (2705 posts) -
@insouciant said:
"
@eroticfishcake: If you think that's weird, the dictionary also says that some people pronounce the word "boil" as one syllable. "
How do you get 2 from Boil.  Never heard anyone say Boi-L
#42 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@alternate: I prefer "Worcestershire", which I always make sure to bastardize in the most horrifying ways.
#43 Edited by alternate (2705 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

" @alternate: I prefer "Worcestershire", which I always make sure to bastardize in the most horrifying ways. "

You can pronounce it however you want - I am no stickler for so-called "correct pronunciation" but Worcester is still only 2 sylables (woo-ster) and Worcestershire only 4 (Woo-ster-shi-re) although a lot of people say them with 3 (wor-chest-er) and 5 (wor-chest-er-shi-re).

Just an example of how the rules of pronunciation can change over time.
#44 Posted by Allprox (544 posts) -

I love adding to the discussion.

#45 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

So why are we debating how much syllables words have anyway? :D

#46 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@alternate

said: 

How do you get 2 from Boil. Never heard anyone say Boi-L 

It can be pronounced  ˈb ȯi(-ə)l.  It sounds like "boy" and then "əl" as in "pull."    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.