Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Orcs Must Die!

Franchise »

They're green, they're smelly, and they absolutely, positively need to die. Use a variety of weapons and traps in order to accomplish this titular goal.

Orcs Must Die Unchained Pax Reveal

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By thebunnyhunter

The next game in the series is a Free to Play, 5v5 moba-ish game with micro-transactions...taking inspirations from the League of Legends transaction model. They are also adding a card collecting element, which is probably similar to how you collected traps and powers in the previous games

What does everyone thing about this,I think it could be a good fit if Traps remain the big focus, which it sounds like that they are. Orcs Must Die's basic game-play seems like a good transition.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Never played it but I feel like I don't need to - it's the same tower defense with player agency on the map seen time and time again. When Trenched Iron Brigade came out it was lauded for its revolutionary concept, even though I had encountered that same concept in numerous Flash games online. Obviously, they're shit games not deserving of sticking to the shoes of game journo's, but I would have appreciated some realization or admission that it was not, in fact, a new concept in the 2011th Year Of Our Lord.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hatking

Man, I feel really fucking cynical, but that first sentence was enough to completely turn off my interest in whatever this is.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I thought Orcs Must Die was a pretty neat tower defense game, but I'm not sure if turning it into a MOBA is necessarily what I wanted. It could be alright.... or it could be like Super Monday Night Combat.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I fuckin' adored the first OMD and had a lot of fun with the second. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the shift in genre, though. One of my biggest frustrations with OMD 2 was that the maps were very clearly designed with multiplayer in mind. Where the first game would have you trying to defend 2 or 3 paths at once, OMD 2 tended to hit you from 4-6 directions. This shift to a competitive multiplayer model makes the need for allies a requirement rather than a convenience, but it also probably makes it much easier to find other players.

The bottom line, I guess, is that I hope it's good.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, the OMD setup is perfect for a MOBA! Waves of "orcs" try to get to your rift and you need to kill them by attacking them or trapping them while the other team is facing the same thing and being interfered with. It would be like a double "hold out mode".

I am not sure going with the "LoL" model is wise for balance though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

Man, I feel really fucking cynical, but that first sentence was enough to completely turn off my interest in whatever this is.

Exactly the same. I just don't feel bad about it as it's just because I'm not interested in those types of games at all. More plain ol' Orcs Must Die would have been great to me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel like MOBA is over-saturated as it is that this franchise going into it probably isn't doing any favors for anyone. Even if the combat and style work okay, which I don't have any reason to doubt it will, why would somebody who plays League or Dota 2 already want to play it?

MOBA dollars seem pretty tied up already, and this weird rush toward a genre seems similar to the realization people had with WoW that there were these mythic millions of people who wanted in on this, when in reality they were in on WoW.

Basically, if you're releasing a MOBA this year you're 5 years late to the party.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like orcs must die, but I'm good on MOBAs. I don't think there is this traveling market of MOBA players. Most are on League, rest are on DOTA or SMITE. I think the market is good

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lyisa said:

I feel like MOBA is over-saturated as it is that this franchise going into it probably isn't doing any favors for anyone. Even if the combat and style work okay, which I don't have any reason to doubt it will, why would somebody who plays League or Dota 2 already want to play it?

MOBA dollars seem pretty tied up already, and this weird rush toward a genre seems similar to the realization people had with WoW that there were these mythic millions of people who wanted in on this, when in reality they were in on WoW.

Basically, if you're releasing a MOBA this year you're 5 years late to the party.

Yeah its pretty scary how much this sounds like those days when everyone was scrambling to release a WoW killer. The market is so saturated at this point that unless you are really looking to change the gameplay very dramatically you might as well save your money. This will just end up like Super Monday Night Combat or one of the other hundred pretenders.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Zero interest in this for me. Way to man people trying to get into this segment without being different enough from the kings of the genre.

LoL and DOTA 2 are really hard acts to top. Not sure OMD guys have the kind of capital to make a game that could rival either meaningfully. Far bigger players than them have tried and failed.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ooh, a new... oh.

On the other hand, OMD is a fancified tower defense, so it makes more sense than some of these "We MOBA now!" sequels. Still, my interest just plummeted to zero. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.