Orcs Must Die! is a fantasy-themed action strategy game developed by Robot Entertainment in which players must defend their fortress against a steady onslaught of orcs and other enemies. Combat consists of a mixture of hand-to-hand and ranged attacks, using swords, crossbows and magic. Players can also set various types of traps to stem the tide of orcs that pose a constant threat, including spikes, spinning-blades, and swinging metal balls, as well as objects in the environment which can be triggered with an attack (ex. a falling chandelier).
Orcs Must Die! will be available for purchase as a download for PC and console platforms.
The war mages are known to defend the rifts, preventing the plunderous orcs from entering it and destroying the world beyond. One of the greatest war mage died by slipping on stair, and it is up to his apprentice to take his role. The world is now doomed. However, the newly appointed guardian of the rift is now ready to defend the world, before it gets destroyed, in his own special way.
Onlive inc., the most successful in cloud gaming, released this game on their servers on October 11, 2011. The game can be played on PC or Mac, determining on which system the owner has. The MSRP for the game is $14.99, this is one of the most highly anticipated games from the OnLive community.
The game combines both aspect of shooting and tower defense game in third person. The player is allowed to set traps before the beginning of each wave and during the wave itself. He can also get right in the action and kill orcs by himself with weapons.
While basic weapons don't cost any magic at all, other magical items cost magic for their own special abilities. Each weapon comes with a secondary attack.
- Bladestaff - Allows player to attack monsters physically. Close range only
- Crossbow - Long range weapon, the accuracy drops if arrows are shot contantly.
- Wind Belt - Using power of wind, the player can push the monster but no damage is done when they are pushed. It is mainly used to push monsters into acid pit or lava pit.
- Flame Bracer - Shoots fireball.
- Ice Amulet - Freezes enemies.
- Ring of Lighting - Cast chain lighting at enemies.
- Vampiric Gauntlets - Drains the health from enemies and gives it to you. (DLC)
- Alchemist Satchel - Bombs that let you detonate them when you want to. (DLC)
- Spikes - Attacks monsters when monsters above it. It only damages if monsters have too much HP. Can only be placed on ground.
- Tar - Floor Trap, slows down enemies
- Arrow Wall - This attacks monsters when in range, can only be placed on the wall.
- Boom Barrel - This has to be detonated by the player, by either shooting, or hitting it.
- Archer Companion - Shoots arrows to enemies
- Barricade - Blocks certain paths. However it can be damaged and the enemies can break through it
- Spring Trap - Floor trap that shoots enemies.
- Wall Blade - Wall trap that kills enemies instantly. Takes a while before it resets
- Steam Trap - Floor trap that levitates enemies.
- Push Trap - Wall Trap that pushes enemies to side
- Pounder -Ceiling traps that pounds enemies when they walk below it. Has short range so it recommend to place on low ceiling
- Sorcerous Brimstone - Burning brimstone that is place on floor, damages enemies but the burning effect will go away after if they manage to survive and walk away
- Clockwork Mace - Ceiling traps that has giant mace swinging constantly.
- Paladin Guardian - Attack any nearby enemies.
- Decoy - Boom Barrel that attracts enemies. It will explodes after receiving certain amount of damage.
- Sniper Autoballista - Ceiling traps that automatically attacks enemies
- Grinder - Sucks in enemies that are within the range. It keeps on running until it gets jammed.
- Spore Mushroom - The first enemy to go on it converts to your side but only works for one of them.
- Coin Forge - Enemies that die on it drop more coins.
- Shock Zapper - It is placed on the ceiling and shocks enemies under it. (DLC)
- Floor Scorcher - It burns enemies who go in front of it. (DLC)
Weavers are upgrades that only last in each level. Each upgrade must be bought by using same coins used to buy traps
- Steel Weaver - Specialize in trap upgrades, such as faster trap resets or giving special abilities to archers and paladins
- Elemental Weaver - Specialize in player upgrade such as faster magic regeneration or double health
- Knowledge Weaver - Combination of Steel and Elemental, the upgrades include bonus coins or extra defense.
- Orc Warriors - Average enemies.
- Kobold Runner - Does not attack, but runs straight to rift.
- Crossbow Orc - Orc with crossbow, can attack player and guardians from far range.
- Hellbat - Flying enemies, only way to kill them is to shoot them.
- Gnoll Hunter - Does not run to rift, but run straight to player or any other guardians.
- Ogre - Takes more hit that average Orc Warriors.
- Fire Ogre - Ogre with high resistance to fire attacks.
- Fire Babies - Flying enemies that can attack.
- Kobold Sapper - Kobold Runners with bomb attached to them.
- Frost Ogre - Type of ogre that is immune to ice
- Hobgoblin Shaman - Revives any fallen monsters, including hunters and orgres. Either kill them first or kill the other by either freezing or burning them.
- Armored Ogre - Has the highest defense.
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Processor: 2GHz Dual Core
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon x1950 or better with 256MB VRAM
- DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 5 GB