Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

$100 Fifa charge on Origin, it wasn't me

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was checking my email today and found a mail from Origin from a couple of days ago thanking me for my recent purchase. At first I paid no mind to it because I bought DA:I pretty recently, but then it clicked in my mind that the date of the email and when I bought DA:I didn't line up. So, I opened it up to see what this was about.

Imagine my surprise (shock? horror?) to see that someone had purchased Fifa 15 Holiday Edition and a handful of Fifa points, amounting to about $100. I'm in a state of disbelief right now. I've never had to deal with something like this before so I don't really know where to start. I've already deleted my card info from the account, but it's about 1 a.m. my time so I can't call Origin support to see about some sort of refund. I'm a student so having that amount of money disappear to a fraudulent charge is kind of huge.

I'm just sitting here now trying to figure out everything I need to do to make sure this incident is contained and the whole thing is rectified. I remember hearing about fraudulent Fifa charges some time ago, but I think that was on Xbox. I assume I try to go through Origin first to get this reversed? Do I need to cancel my card? What else might be compromised? How do I figure out what made me vulnerable?

Needless to say I'm feeling a little violated and paranoid now. Has anyone else ever had experience with an incident like this? What was your process? How can I make sure I'm safe?

This might be a good time to check your own Origin accounts duders. Don't save card information on them :(

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Huh, weird. My dad emailed me the other day asking about a charge on his credit card, thinking I had used it to buy an EA game on Origin.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Don't let it stress you out. Get some sleep, and in the morning you probably need to contact Origin, and then maybe just go to your bank branch and see how they say you should handle what appears to be credit card fraud. I mean, you can probably look it up on the bank website, but it might be more reassuring to go to the bank branch and have a physical person help you out with it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Call your credit card issuer first and dispute the charge as fraud, they will look for other activity and issue you a new card number. Then contact Origin.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Most likely your Origin account is what was hacked. Contact EA support tomorrow and get them to reverse the charge. Anything else that uses the same/similar login and PW as your Origin account is at risk. You shouldn't need to cancel your CC.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd imagine $100 on FIFA is the dumbest transaction I could make if I was about to do something fraudulent. These hackers, man. No sense of priority.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I had that happen to me, it was with FIFA 14 I think. I contacted the Origin Support, they were very helpful, I got the full amount refunded within a few days. I contacted my credit card issuer as well and got a new card.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shindig said:

I'd imagine $100 on FIFA is the dumbest transaction I could make if I was about to do something fraudulent. These hackers, man. No sense of priority.

The thing is that if they only have access to your Xbox or Origin account what are they gonna do? Ultimate Team coins are pretty much the only thing that can be gifted from one account to another.

Cecil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cecil

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Someone bought a bunch of games on my origin account. I contacted origin and they refunded the money after a few days. But the guy I talked to on the phone said not to deleted the card til after the money was put back in my account, So yeah just give origin a call and explain what happened and you should get that money back.

Selidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My roommate's Origin account was recently hacked with the hacker purchasing FIFA and a ton of DLC junk for it. He contacted EA and got both his account back and the money refunded. Seemed fairly easy and quick.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it always Ultimate Team they go for? What a nasty racket.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When my account got compromised they only activated a free to play Need for speed game, I did not have my credit card info saved, so they couldn't do anything substantial. It's an unnecessary risk to save your card info, neither steam or itunes are safe. It was trivial to get my account back though, just a 5min call to Origin's customer service.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.