Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

Has anyone else seen this? If not, you should give this a read.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pw2566ch

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.323783-Questions-Still-Swirl-Around-EAs-Origin-Bans?page=4#13389462

This is right now hitting across Reddit and if what we're seeing is true, then I would highly suggest you either...

1. Stay off of the forums
    2. Stay off the online portion of EA's games
    3. Don't use Origin all together

Here's what's going on. This person commented on a forum post which later someone replied to him. Apparently this reply had some foul language in it. Origin did not like it. So, I don't know if it's a computer mishap or if the person behind the bans is a complete idiot, but the person receiving that reply was the one that was banned because his username happened to be in that reply. Not only was he banned from the forums, he was also banned from Origin. Also keeping him from playing any games he bought through Origin.

This is pretty crazy people. What does everyone else think?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kashif1

Meh, if I actually wanted an EA game for pc i'd probably pirate it out of spite. Anyway this is actually pretty old news, and the reason why I'll never buy battlefield on pc

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Yes, I remember there being some foolishness about people getting banned from forums, and for some ridiculous reason being unable to play the damn games they bought. I figured something would have been done about this by now, but, well... ಠ_ಠ

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kashif1

@TwilitEnd656 said:

ಠ_ಠ

how did you do that?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

Back in my day...

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By 71Ranchero

Whatever. I dont know the full story so I have no opinion one way or the other.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By babblinmule
    @Atramentous said:

The internet/world would be a far better place if everyone thought like you.

Unfortunately.....
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mnzy

@kashif1 said:

@TwilitEnd656 said:

ಠ_ಠ

how did you do that?

He sacrificed an Apple II to Binaro, the god of bits.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pw2566ch

@kashif1 said:

Meh, if I actually wanted an EA game for pc i'd probably pirate it out of spite. Anyway this is actually pretty old news, and the reason why I'll never buy battlefield on pc

This was posted 2 days ago.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pw2566ch

@nintendoeats said:

Back in my day...

We get it Grandpa. 15 miles... snow... the only video game you had was pocket pool.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Codeacious

So I just have to not say anything when i'm playing an EA game, righ-

The best part is that the offending post wasn't made by me, but was directed at me and has my username in it, so, voila, BAN..

Oh for fucks sake.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

There is an easy way to fix this: don't be an asshole in Origin's forums.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RainDog505

While I don't agree with EA's overzealous (apparent) censorship policies...I hardly ever throw in obscenities on forum post/game chat, so I should be fine booting up Battlefield 3.

The post in the link did have some really really dumb use of profanity that made it seem like the poster was just screaming "INTERNET TUFF GUY". But what makes this ban/suspension even more illogical is the fact that Battlefield 3 (the game I assume the banned user was chatting about) contains a fair bit of swearing and has a mature rating from the ESRB. If someone went into...say...the Skylanders fourm over at Activision and started spewing off slash fiction, I'd understand that ban considering that board is FOR a game aimed at a younger audience.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pw2566ch

@Atramentous said:

Wasn't there a story on Giant Bomb stating that EA was going to change Origin ToS to go along with forum bans, or something like that?

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coakroach

Its probably in their terms of service and totally legal

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Codeacious

@Jeust: If you read the post, he got banned because someone used swear words directed at him (typing out his username) in their post. So he got banned for someone else's comment.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 71Ranchero

@pw2566ch said:

@Atramentous said:

Wasn't there a story on Giant Bomb stating that EA was going to change Origin ToS to go along with forum bans, or something like that?

Perhaps, I have no idea. I have stopped going into those types of "news" storys because they are mostly flame bait.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kashif1

@pw2566ch said:

@Atramentous said:

Yeah, it didn't change significantly though

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeust

@isnipeyoudie said:

@Jeust: If you read the post, he got banned because someone used swear words directed at him (typing out his username) in their post. So he got banned for someone else's comment.

If that was the case, if he talked with the mods it would be fixed. Imagine the ruckus that would happen if this kind of situation started happening in Origin.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pw2566ch

@Atramentous said:

@pw2566ch said:

@Atramentous said:

Perhaps, I have no idea. I have stopped going into those types of "news" storys because they are mostly flame bait.

Didn't know it was considered flame bait. Maybe that's why a lot of people aren't liking Patrick or Alex.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pw2566ch

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

If that was the case, if he talked with the mods it would be fixed. Imagine the ruckus that would happen if this kind of situation started happening in Origin.

He was talking about the Origin forums. The situation led him to be banned from the Origin forums and his Origin account. Now he can't even play his games on single player.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

If you're able to type why can't you read?

The mod told the dude tough luck wait out the 72 hours, but it turns out he was banned too. So he's completely screwed for doing nothing.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ExplodeMode

Didn't the same thing happen with Dragon Age 2?  Someone was saying something on their forums that EA didn't like so he got banned from his single player game.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp

@ExplodeMode said:

Didn't the same thing happen with Dragon Age 2? Someone was saying something on their forums that EA didn't like so he got banned from his single player game.

The ability for being banned because you said a cuss word in a game that drops it every 5 min is beyond foolish. What are they thinking?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By geirr

I use Origin to play a game, nothing else, I'm fine.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xdaknightx69

@Atramentous said:

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust

@Doctorchimp said:

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

The mod told the dude tough luck wait out the 72 hours, but it turns out he was banned too. So he's completely screwed for doing nothing.

The thing is:

• if he really is blameless, they'll have to turn around, as this situation cannot happen again for the sake of business Origin is looking to create.
    • that is his version of the story. It isn't the first time that something along these lines happens and it turns out, the person in question did far more than he let people know.

I shouldn't have posted here though, as I generally have my doubts about this type of affairs.

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MidgardDragon

@Jeust said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

The thing is:

• if he really is blameless, they'll have to turn around, as this situation cannot happen again for the sake of business Origin is looking to create.
    • that is his version of the story. It isn't the first time that something along these lines happens and it turns out, the person in question did far more than he let people know.

I shouldn't have posted here though, as I generally have my doubts about this type of affairs.

This story isn't exactly minutes old. EA has had ample opportunity to prove that he was in the wrong, but instead they haven't, they've just said tough luck. Obviously the way it is described is the way it happened, it's not like that couldn't be (and it's unlikely that it hasn't been) verified. I hate it when people just jump to assume that because someone got in trouble they're automatically in the wrong. Remember innocent until proven guilty? EA screwed up, they haven't made a move to fix it, this guy did nothing. It seems to me you didn't read the story then responded and are now trying to defend your actions as if you actually meant them that way. Dear God I hope that's what happened because to accuse someone of making all this up when it's on the internet and verifiable is just...wrong.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jeust

@MidgardDragon said:

@Jeust said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

The thing is:

This story isn't exactly minutes old. EA has had ample opportunity to prove that he was in the wrong, but instead they haven't, they've just said tough luck. Obviously the way it is described is the way it happened, it's not like that couldn't be (and it's unlikely that it hasn't been) verified. I hate it when people just jump to assume that because someone got in trouble they're automatically in the wrong. Remember innocent until proven guilty? EA screwed up, they haven't made a move to fix it, this guy did nothing. It seems to me you didn't read the story then responded and are now trying to defend your actions as if you actually meant them that way. Dear God I hope that's what happened because to accuse someone of making all this up when it's on the internet and verifiable is just...wrong.

I didn't read it innitially. But a lot of similar threads and situation have been exposed in the forums, and despite not reading innitially the story detailed in the other forum, my feelings were always the same. There is no irrefutable proof unless the information from both EA and the banned costumer are both released to the public. It is easy to go into a forum and say how wronged you were by said company.

And what is irrefutable in the internet? In an age where almost everything can be forged with the right means? And proofs just amount to an amount of messages sent and received.

I've seen my share of similar situations that were oaxes. I won't say this isn't, like I won't say that this is. I just find it hard for a company screwing up like that and not to fix the situation.

And I won't reply to this thread anymore. Whatever had happened, is beyond me, and has nothing to do with me.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 71Ranchero

@MidgardDragon said:

@Jeust said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

The thing is:

The same can be said but in reverse. I hate when something happens and instantly the internet is erupting about how bad X company is or how much they are screwing you. EA is a business, they do not screw over customers on purpose. Perhaps this guy is being honest, perhaps not. A sensible person can not help but to feel doubt everytime these story's come up because of the over-fucking-welming sense of entitlement that gamers today feel they deserve.

If EA has made a mistake then they will fix it. They have to as a business. That's how a business works. They are not selling billions of dollars worth of games because they block people from playing them on a whim. I also like how you feel that EA needs to prove anything to the gaming community. This is and A and B situation.

I am not defending EA, if this guy was wrongly banned then he should have his reparations but I have no idea what happened behind the scenes. I dont know if emails were exchanged, I dont know if PM's were sent. The only thing I do know is that most of us as gamers are spoiled rotten little shits that have no idea just how good we have it.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pw2566ch

@Atramentous said:

@MidgardDragon said:

@Jeust said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Jeust said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

The thing is:

The same can be said but in reverse. I hate when something happens and instantly the internet is erupting about how bad X company is or how much they are screwing you. EA is a business, they do not screw over customers on purpose. Perhaps this guy is being honest, perhaps not. A sensible person can not help but to feel doubt everytime these story's come up because of the over-fucking-welming sense of entitlement that gamers today feel they deserve.

If EA has made a mistake then they will fix it. They have to as a business. That's how a business works. They are not selling billions of dollars worth of games because they block people from playing them on a whim. I also like how you feel that EA needs to prove anything to the gaming community. This is and A and B situation.

I am not defending EA, if this guy was wrongly banned then he should have his reparations but I have no idea what happened behind the scenes. I dont know if emails were exchanged, I dont know if PM's were sent. The only thing I do know is that most of us as gamers are spoiled rotten little shits that have no idea just how good we have it.

I think you should look into the millions of posts on EA's customer service. Especially their live chat. That's proof enough that EA has screwed people over plenty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.