It has begun-Origin will Distribute WB, THQ, and Capcom games

#1 Edited by endaround (2145 posts) -
#2 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

uphill battle for origin. not hating, btw

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

I figured that every publisher would build their own, but that might not be cost-effective for 'smaller' publishers for the time being.

#4 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

I wish them luck. Competition is good, and Steam is staggeringly huge now. Origin is still a bit rough and expensive but there's promise in there.

#5 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Good luck, Capcom PC ports aren't great, THQ... games aren't great (short of the Saints) and WB uses GFWL.

#6 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

I am glad to see this. Although I already have most games I want from those publishers.

@GS_Dan said:

Competition is good, and Steam is staggeringly huge now. Origin is still a bit rough and expensive but there's promise in there.

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Good. A service with only EA games didn't sound appealing.

#8 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Great. It'll make both Steam and Origin better, fostering some competition.

Capitalism!

#9 Posted by project343 (2823 posts) -

Steam: used for everything possible

Origin: used for those pesky EA games that I want real bad that are unavailable on Steam (Old Republic, BF3)

Simple as that, folks. EA will not succeed in this war with Steam and several other--superior--services available.

#10 Posted by Village_Guy (2575 posts) -

Good for them, they only way Origin would have a chance against Steam was if they got more publishers with them.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

Good luck, Capcom PC ports aren't great, THQ... games aren't great (short of the Saints) and WB uses GFWL.

the hell you talking about? capcom's PC ports are pretty fantastic around the board.

#12 Posted by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

I'll go wherever I can save money

#13 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

@project343 said:

Steam: used for everything possible

Origin: used for those pesky EA games that I want real bad that are unavailable on Steam (Old Republic, BF3)

Simple as that, folks. EA will not succeed in this war with Steam and several other--superior--services available.

It doesn't really matter if they "succeed" or not, so long as they force Steam to up their game.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@XII_Sniper said:

the hell you talking about? capcom's PC ports are pretty fantastic around the board.

They're better than they have been in the past, that's for sure. SSFIVAE and Dead Rising 2: OTR were definitely decent enough, but they're still not perfect. Especially with GFWL involved. But mostly I'm still reeling from the Resident Evil ports, especially 4, which has to be probably the worst console-to-PC port I've ever played in my life. Buttons were labelled numerically, there was no real mouse support, and oh god I can't go on. It's too many bad memories.

#15 Posted by sate2801 (345 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

METRO? S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? all those warhammer 40k titles? CoH? red faction?

#16 Posted by Marbazoid (55 posts) -

Not sure how EA is planning to take steam on, when steam is better in every - single - way.

Steam has nothing to worry about.

#17 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@sate2801 said:

@XII_Sniper said:

METRO? S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? all those warhammer 40k titles? CoH? red faction?

most people who wanted those games have them.. None of those are new titles : /

But either way, Origin wont die but it wont get anywhere near as big as Steam. Steam has to many functions besides just selling games. Only reason alot of people have it is because they wanted to get BF3 on pc.. otherwise i dont think even half of the people on it would be there. Not hating, just i dont see the point besides it being the only place to really buy EA games for pc now :(

#18 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I hope Desura, Origin, GOG (even though they are not DRM), really rocket so that STEAM has some competition. I think Steam has been doing an amazing job even with it's pseudo-monopoly, but at the same time competition always makes for better service.

#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11724 posts) -

Well, hopefully Origin will manage to provide a better service than Impulse does... ugh.

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

#21 Posted by Grillbar (1825 posts) -

@endaround said:

Haven't found a link to the press release but here is the RPS link:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/28/expansive-origin-signs-major-publishers/#more-79726

We'll see how it goes. One thing is that both WB and Capcom are big GFWL supporters/partners. I wonder if that means anything.

im not saying im fine with it but atleast its better then more clients comming i mean theres steam, windows thing, origin and proberly more then i want to care about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.