Valve games show up on Origin

#1 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4388 posts) -

What the fuck is going on?

I don't know what to make of this...

Update: The Valve titles offered by Origin are, in fact, boxed retail copies, rather than downloadable versions as indicated. Seeing as EA has published Valve titles at retail for years, this is less world-shattering than originally thought.

(That little nugget of info wasn't there when the story was first posted...)

#2 Posted by Forcen (1811 posts) -

So they just give you a Steam code?  
Because they are unplayable without Steam?

#3 Posted by Beforet (2916 posts) -

Not surprising.

#4 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

I hope this isn't enough to make people freak out over it.

#5 Posted by Slaker117 (4837 posts) -

Doesn't EA publish Valve games on consoles or something? This seems like a somewhat logical extension of that.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Hooray, more gaming, less trivial bullshit.

#7 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4388 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

Doesn't EA publish Valve games on consoles or something? This seems like a somewhat logical extension of that.

Ah ok, now that makes sense. I think they also publish the physical copies of the PC game too. Still though, with all the "omg EA vas valve" nonsense as of late, it's kind of surprising that Valve would be first in line to offer their games on Origin. Though with this realization, it's arguably much less surprising.

#8 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

click the link and read the update. 

it's boxed retail copies that theyre selling.

#9 Posted by amorbis (73 posts) -

They are boxed copies, not digital.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11957 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

Yep.

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Origin is the name of EA's store. EA distributes the boxed copies of Valve games. I don't see this as any surprise whatsoever. You buy Counter Strike, they mail you the box, you enter the code and download the game on Steam. 

Why is this a story again?

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14367 posts) -

They're retail, boxed copies. Which EA publish. Nothing unusual or surprising about them selling games which they publish on Origin.

#13 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

They're retail, boxed copies. Which EA publish. Nothing unusual or surprising about them selling games which they publish on Origin.

Had to find my physical copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to prove you wrong, but couldn't find it. So I looked online and I guess you're right. DAMN YOU MODS!! 

Either way, Origin is still a digital distributor. EA never published the digital version.
#14 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
@MattyFTM said:

Had to find my physical copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to prove you wrong, but couldn't find it. So I looked online and I guess you're right. DAMN YOU MODS!!  Either way, Origin is still a digital distributor. EA never published the digital version.
Origin isn't a digital distributor. It's the name of EAs online store, which sells both physical and digital games.
#15 Edited by MattyFTM (14367 posts) -

@ch13696 said:

@MattyFTM said:

Had to find my physical copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to prove you wrong, but couldn't find it. So I looked online and I guess you're right. DAMN YOU MODS!! Either way, Origin is still a digital distributor. EA never published the digital version.

Origin isn't just their digital store. Origin is EA. EA have re-branded virtually all of their services Origin. Your EA account? That's now an Origin account. The EA Download Manager? That's now Origin. The EA store? That's now Origin. The EA store (now called Origin) sells both digital games that are downloaded via the download manager (which is now called Origin) and boxed copies, which are delivered. The Valve games they are selling are physical copies, not digital copies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.