Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

Why I hate EA Origins

• 53 results
    xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By xanadu

I dont hate EA origins, just bad customer service.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Doesn't Steam have rotten customer service too? Also, I have never had a problem with Origin.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I remember years back when this exact thread would be about Steam vs. Retail disc versions of games.

Anyways, on Origin you can enter keys from old retail games and get a digital version added to your library. This alone made Origin worth the download. I suppose I would rather have the 30 or so games I have on Origin added to my Steam library but at the end of the day, I dont really care much.

slickdasani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did you call someone because a demo didn't work?

Lothars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think your out to lunch, Origin is actually pretty good. The customer service is worlds better than valves. I won't buy third party games on it but it's perfectly acceptable to play ea games on as well.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ungodly: Personally, I haven't had to be in touch with Steam's support, but from what I've read and how my nephew's ordeal with them went they are extremely slow/unresponsive because of how Valve is structured as a company. Meanwhile, I have mostly heard good things about Origin's and GOG's support teams and terms of service compared Steam's. And this is coming from someone who has 223 games on Steam while only eight* free ones on Origin and about 40 on GOG.

In some ideal yet frightening world every game would be monopolized through Steam (or better yet, be DRM free without these services), but in some ways that line of thinking also is not without the usual caveats that come along with a single entity having all that power - no matter how good a company they portray on the forefront (with a nice, round and intelligent behind too).

*Nine. Just opened Origin in a long time and (the original) Syndicate is there for free. So there's that.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slickdasani: Because that's the only option I had. The client was saying I was out of game time for 1 week even though I had not played 1 minute of it.

And yes their customer service is quick (I have never had to go through customer service on steam so I can't compare) and I did mention that I liked all the free game stuff. But it's forcing the user to play games that are only available on this service which barely works for me is what really gets me annoyed.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By discomposure

Eh I actually like Origin. It does what it needs to and I've actually had more issues with Steam, I don't think I've had a single problem with Origin aside from when I first installed it. Plus the free 'on the house' games are a nice touch.

It's no Steam, but it works and isn't a hassle to use so I'm good with it. I've never had to contact customer service for either Origin or Steam so can't comment on that aspect.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the fact that Origin exists, but honestly it has only ever worked for me. I don't like the fact I am forced to split my library, nor will I ever care to build a friends list or origin achievements. I will also never buy a third party game, even if it is cheaper. Origin always works for me and even seems to be well designed, which is a shame because it would be so easy to hate.

So, good job EA. Fuck you for making it, but good job.

Now uPlay on the other hand..

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The idea that Origin is behind Dragon Age not working on your computer is laughable.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deegee: I was joking about that but maybe I wasn't clear.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Origin has better customer service than Steam does.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"But EA is so greedy they just have to get a piece"

What exactly is wrong with trying to make money in capitalism exactly? Feel free to say they have a terrible platform there but you can't really tell me that they're terrible people for launching their own service.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Steam is huge and the publishers have to decide whether that userbase is worth giving Valve 30%. Activision and 2K seem to be cool with it but I don't begrudge EA, UBI, or MS at all for their separate stores.

There isn't much to complain about in Origin, as the OP shows.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruff182 said:

Now uPlay on the other hand..

Uplay is everything wrong with Origin on steroids.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly is wrong with trying to make money in capitalism exactly? Feel free to say they have a terrible platform there but you can't really tell me that they're terrible people for launching their own service.

Hold up buddy. Are you implying that Steam doesn't want to just be my friend? Next you will be trying to convince me that Nintendo's "happy fun time" image is part of the company's marketing strategy or something.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My introduction to Origin was being able to convert my billion Sims 3 addon cds into digital goods and it has worked pretty well for that. I occasionally pick up stuff that is on sale, but cannot imagine buying something on release day from there as the prices are ridiculous.

I think I'd rather abandon a game and write the money off than talk to an actual human for customer support, but good luck to anyone that goes down that route.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steams dogshit customer service makes EA's CS look fucking marvelous.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xanadu

@71ranchero said:

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow said:

Hold up buddy. Are you implying that Steam doesn't want to just be my friend? Next you will be trying to convince me that Nintendo's "happy fun time" image is part of the company's marketing strategy or something.

Of course a business need to make money. That's the whole point. But are you both really suggesting its not, on some level, a hassle to the customer considering most people like myself would prefer to stick to one platform where as EA is forcing you to use their service as it is the only way to play select games (Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Mass Effect 3).

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

had more problems with steam then origin its a oké service.

I don't want the Steam monopoly to happen.

also Titanfall DLC is Free ! what a bad service !

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@71ranchero said:

It's all coming back to me now, yes: nobody should ever try and make money in this country; that's just a sign of bad character. We also need to take these "indie" games off of steam because their sales are cutting into the support of AAA titles!

@xanadu said:

Of course a business need to make money. That's the whole point. But are you both really suggesting its not, on some level, a hassle to the customer considering most people like myself would prefer to stick to one platform where as EA is forcing you to use their service as it is the only way to play select games (Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Mass Effect 3).

By god he's right! I sure wish these darn consoles would all just agree to have only one on the market each generation, then I'd know exactly which service and exclusives to side with!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

@71ranchero said:

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Stop buying games that require Origin if you dont want to use the service. Speak with your wallet instead of a forum post that they will never see.

If I am wrong and EA are indeed at your home with a gun pointed at you demanding you play a week long trial for Battlefield 4 then I would suggest calling the cops.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xanadu

@71ranchero said:

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Stop buying games that require Origin if you dont want to use the service. Speak with your wallet instead of a forum post that they will never see.

If I am wrong and EA are indeed at your home with a gun pointed at you demanding you play a week long trial for Battlefield 4 then I would suggest calling the cops.

Did I say they were? I dont understand why people are jumping all over me here. I have already stated that I do enjoy the free games and DLC, it's a good way to build a customer base. But everything else about the service (mostly just trying to use it) I have found to be off putting. I have bought 2 games from origin: Titanfall and DA: Inquisition. Titanfall is good while DA is completely unplayable. I have already resolved to not buy any more products from Origin but why does that mean I can't wright a blog about it?

EDIT: @hypnotoadbrwowrowrow Also we are not talking about consoles. But would you really not want a more unified console structure where you wouldn't have to worry about buying a specific console for one specific game? Feel free to reply to me in a sarcastic chastising manner as you have been..

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@xanadu said:

@71ranchero said:

Did I say they were? I dont understand why people are jumping all over me here. I have already stated that I do enjoy the free games and DLC, it's a good way to build a customer base. But everything else about the service (mostly just trying to use it) I have found to be off putting. I have bought 2 games from origin: Titanfall and DA: Inquisition. Titanfall is good while DA is completely unplayable. I have already resolved to not buy any more products from Origin but why does that mean I can't wright a blog about it?

Here's the root of why we're jumping on you: you go beyond saying Origin is a bad service by saying that it shouldn't even exist, because a better service is already present. You then also say that it's greedy for a publisher to have a program/platform that others must use for their own products.

And to be fair, the only people here that are really jumping on you are myself and @71ranchero. Everyone else is just stating their experience and opinions of Origin.

@xanadu: Obviously, but I used it as an analogy to help you understand. Unfortunately you would want just one console so it did nothing to help.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xanadu

@xanadu said:

@71ranchero said:

Here's the root of why we're jumping on you: you go beyond saying Origin is a bad service by saying that it shouldn't even exist, because a better service is already present. You then also say that it's greedy for a publisher to have a program/platform that others must use for their own products, so that another service doesn't pull their customers and promote other publishers' games.

And to be fair, the only people here that are really jumping on you are myself and @71ranchero. Everyone else is just stating their experience and opinions of Origin.

Actually I was just mainly referring to you. But I see your point. I didn't mean to say there should be no alternatives. Your choice is the best part of capitalism. The problem with Origin is not that it exists but, as you pointed out with my second argument, my problem is having exclusive games that I would like to play only on a service that has not functioned properly for me when I use it. And don't think I have a blind eye with Steam because I'm sure all of us remember when we were forced to play HL2 through steam. Everyone hated it but steam has built a great reputation over the last 10+ years. Origin could very well do the same but right now I don't think the caliber of game exclusives are anywhere near the level of Half Life 2 to warrant such a service.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@xanadu: It doesn't matter if the games are good enough or not, buddy, because being a publisher is enough to warrant a separate platform. Just because one service isn't as good as another doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. /thread

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: I already said in my last comment you were right, I didn't mean to say that Origin shouldn't exist. So what are we arguing about here? Do you just like to argue?

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind people shitting on origin for fair reasons, but the argument that ea's greedy to release their games exclusively on origin is bullshit. Last I checked I can't play cs or dota on origin either.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulus: You are right but I already commented that steam does the same thing. I think exclusive games on any platform is bullshit.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@xanadu said:

@paulus: I think exclusive games on any platform is bullshit.

@paulus: I'm honestly not even sure if he's just trolling at this point. Edit: I'm sorry, you're not a troll, just don't seem to understand why this wouldn't be good.

Edit: Okay, I'll bite, here we go. Exclusives are dumb scenario: MS funds Halo 5, releases it for PS4 as well, they lose appeal to buying XB1, they lose out on XB1 sales, profit lost for MS not only on hardware sales, but subscription sales(the real moneymaker), and by losing hardware sales you lose install base in general. Or is seeking profit greedy?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

@paulus: I'm honestly not even sure if he's just trolling at this point.

Edit: Okay, I'll bite, here we go. Exclusives are dumb scenario: MS funds Halo 5, releases it for PS4 as well, they lose appeal to buying XB1, they lose out on XB1 sales, profit lost for MS not only on hardware sales, but subscription sales(the real moneymaker), and by losing hardware sales you lose install base in general. Or is seeking profit greedy?

I'm not a troll because I think people who can only afford one console shouldn't lose access to games they may want to play.

Ostratego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: On Steam, I was able to key-in retail keys from PREY (I know, right?), Half-Life and it's expansion packs to get STEAM versions of those games. Also, I got Blue Shift for free.

Personally, I haven't had problems with Steam or Origin. I just want to keep to one distribution service and, since Steam was already on my computer before Origin existed, it was Steam by default.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

@xanadu said:

I'm not a troll because I think people who can only afford one console shouldn't lose access to games they may want to play.

If every luxury was made to be affordable to everybody, business wouldn't be a thing.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

@xanadu said:

If every luxury was made to be affordable to everybody, business wouldn't be a thing.

That still doesn't make me a troll.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@xanadu said:

@xanadu said:

It's almost as if you live in alternate reality to me. I can't comprehend at all where you are coming from.

Everything in this world costs money.

If you can't afford it, you can't have it. No one is evil or greedy because of this, it is just reality.

Whether it's a car, a house, a nice shirt, a VIP lounge - you just don't get to have everything you want. Games are no different. I mean, not to be crass - but really who cares? So you don't get to play every game you ever hoped you could. That's life. Games aren't some weird exclusion. Programs are exclusive to operating systems. TV shows are exclusive to TV channels. Some artists only tour in certain cities/countries. Some food isn't available where you live. Canadian and American Netflix have different shows. I can't afford leg room on a plane, so I have to be squished like a sardine. I also can't afford a Wii U right now, so I can't play any of those games. This is all my problem, no one else's.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright. I'm gonna delete this thread in about an hour. I just wanted to make a blog post about how I don't think EA Origins exclusives are strong enough to make me want to use Origin. But I guess I presented my case wrong and most of you think I'm an asshole/troll.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had some ps3 to ps4 account linking problems when D.A INQ launched because i used a weird email when i first signed up for orgin, and linked my ps3 account to that email it took me 15 mins with their online web chat to fix the issue, they were great had good security steps in place to ensure it was actually me asking for this change and were extremely helpful. I don't pc game much but i think orgin is a great service when i have used it.

Anyways i just wanted to share that.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@xanadu: Okay, I'm sorry. I apologize. I just couldn't see a person being that ignorant to capitalism/competition being serious (and I don't mean ignorant in a condescending way at all). We are just trying to help you understand that it's wrong to be mad at a company for doing something they want for money. There are skeezy practices that may seem ethically/morally wrong that are always up for debate, but simply swaying consumers towards your own products is not one of them, in my opinion. As for your support of monopolies, you seem to not understand how competition helps consumers. If there was only one company vying for consumers, quality would degrade because there would be no reason to improve. They would also increase prices because there is no one to compete with. You also want everything to become affordable to everyone, but if that were the case, the business would not make as much profit and would have less incentive towards the industry. Luxuries are just that for a reason. Money is a representation of effort, skewed with risk (investments). Luxury businesses make money off of the people that can afford them. The ones that can't afford them (but want to be able to) then have an incentive to improve their income. This is roughly how the capitalist economy works through incentive.

@xanadu said:

Alright. I'm gonna delete this thread in about an hour. I just wanted to make a blog post about how I don't think EA Origins exclusives are strong enough to make me want to use Origin. But I guess I presented my case wrong and most of you think I'm an asshole/troll.

This would be okay, but this post was about why it shouldn't exist (which, in your defense, you redacted) and why it makes EA greedy. This ended up devolving the thread to why you think there should not be competition in industry.

EDIT: Also this was in your original post

"Also I realize it's more of a coding issue with Bioware, but I'm still placing the blame on Origin because fuck it"

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xanadu

@xanadu: Okay, I'm sorry. I apologize. I just couldn't see a person being that ignorant to capitalism/competition being serious (and I don't mean ignorant in a condescending way at all). We are just trying to help you understand that it's wrong to be mad at a company for doing something they want for money. There are skeezy practices that may seem ethically/morally wrong that are always up for debate, but simply swaying consumers towards your own products is not one of them, in my opinion. As for your support of monopolies, you seem to not understand how competition helps consumers. If there was only one company vying for consumers, quality would degrade because there would be no reason to improve. They would also increase prices because there is no one to compete with. You also want everything to become affordable to everyone, but if that were the case, the business would not make as much profit and would have less incentive towards the industry. Luxuries are just that for a reason. Money is a representation of effort, skewed with risk (investments). Luxury businesses make money off of the people that can afford them. The ones that can't afford them (but want to be able to) then have an incentive to improve their income. This is roughly how the capitalist economy works through incentive.

Yes, totally agree with that. I understand competition between business is ultimately good for the consumer and that companies like Microsoft and Sony need to create games just for their system to present a case as to why you would be. It's not even that I find these practices to be skeezy but rather that practices, such as exclusive games, actually can work against the company in terms of public reception. Xbox1 and PS4 totally need big budget exclusives to help draw customers. But a game like Mass Effect 3 on PC for Origin only is just bad for the consumer who already played 1 and 2 on steam.

Ultimately I was coming from the side of the consumer. You are coming from the side of the producer and everything you said is true. Furthermore, if the producers didn't fallow these tactics I realize there would be little to no game industry for us consumers. Really, I just think a lot of it sucks but understand why it has to be.

Edit: Yes I also realize how that quote shapes my opinion. But I was joking and understand that game development and digital distribution are two different things. If you were taking that literally I could see how my argument falls apart and becomes confusing.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

Ultimately I was coming from the side of the consumer. You are coming from the side of the producer and everything you said is true. Furthermore, if the producers didn't fallow these tactics I realize there would be little to no game industry for us consumers. Really, I just think a lot of it sucks but understand why it has to be.

Always analyze both sides of the argument and you'll come out with a better understanding of what it is you're analyzing.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh man, that is in line with what I've experienced with Valve's customer support. I had used their trading forums to trade for a gift copy of Skyrim. Little did I know that that copy of Skyrim was probably purchased using a stolen credit card. So a month or so later, the copy of Skyrim I had redeemed was removed from my game library without notice. When I finally noticed that I was missing a game, I filed a support ticket. It took like 8 months before they responded, and that was because I doubled up on it by filing another ticket on the last week. I got the game I had initially traded in back, but it had significantly dropped in value by that time.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only hate it because i have to start up a whole new program to play a handful of games. Honestly, that's probaby why I have barely touched the games i bought on it, and every time i decide to start it up I have to change my password because i've forgotten it already lol.

Having multiple programs to access your game library fucking sucks.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EXTomar

I don't know if it is a problem with EA's customer service but that Origin itself where I do not doubt Steam has worse CS but Origin has a number of issues that Steam seem to never have.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their store is terrible; the only way I can reliably buy EA games is through the digital store on amazon and then redeeming the code I get in Origin. No matter how often I try, Origin refuses to take my visa debit card and their CS answer is always "I don't know why either."

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By TehPickle

Doesn't Valve make about 30% from the sales of other people's games through Steam (or thereabouts?)

I dont necessarily think it's 'greedy' of EA to want to try and circumvent that payment through their own platform, even if said platform is a bag of crap, that I don't want.

That said, EA don't generally make games that I'm interesting in buying, so it isn't much of an issue for me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've never had any problem using Origin, and I'm glad it exists because competition is good for consumers.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origin has 45 games on it that are not EA games; they wish they were competition. Now, I'm incredibly glad GOG exists because it really is competition for steam and if they ever get around to releasing an official launcher they might very well compete with steam for my new pc game purchases. As is, it's not really a contest. Maybe someday origin will become something other than a platform for SIMS dlc but I bet it never does.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't Valve make about 30% from the sales of other people's games through Steam (or thereabouts?)

I dont necessarily think it's 'greedy' of EA to want to try and circumvent that payment through their own platform, even if said platform is a bag of crap, that I don't want.

That said, EA don't generally make games that I'm interesting in buying, so it isn't much of an issue for me.

But the trick with Origin is that EA takes 100% of the sale for EA games. Given how many "other games" on Origin I would call it "greedy" but the reason is clearly money.

Blizzard also has a platform where they sell Blizzard games but they don't pretend to be anything but a store front for Blizzard games. Maybe this is what EA needs to do instead of trying market it like they aren't.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam. Ok. Origin... meh.. Uplay needs to die right now and team up with either Steam or Origin, it is so utterly useless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.