5 Great Original Videogame Soundtracks

Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -

Some music stays with you long after you have stopped playing the game it was paired with. Here is a selection of my favorite tunes that, for one reason or another, I can't seem to stop listening to. Some of them are even free to download, take a peek...

1. Braid

Beautifully relaxing and mellow. Sleepy music for sleepy people.

2. Halo 3

One of the few games with a full orchestral score accompanying it, the music of the halo universe really is fantastic and fully lends itself to the epic scale of the franchise.

3. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Upbeat electro chimes with pockets of tranquillity. Also it's free to download.

4. Machinarium

A nice mix of everything with wonderful design and originality. Clinky robo music. Free bonus tracks.

5. The Orange Box

With tracks from Half Life 2, Portal, and the crazy upbeat trumpets of Team Fortress 2, this OST has a bit of everything. Sounds great, and of course includes the mandatory "Still Alive" track from Portal.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
#1 Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -

Some music stays with you long after you have stopped playing the game it was paired with. Here is a selection of my favorite tunes that, for one reason or another, I can't seem to stop listening to. Some of them are even free to download, take a peek...

1. Braid

Beautifully relaxing and mellow. Sleepy music for sleepy people.

2. Halo 3

One of the few games with a full orchestral score accompanying it, the music of the halo universe really is fantastic and fully lends itself to the epic scale of the franchise.

3. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Upbeat electro chimes with pockets of tranquillity. Also it's free to download.

4. Machinarium

A nice mix of everything with wonderful design and originality. Clinky robo music. Free bonus tracks.

5. The Orange Box

With tracks from Half Life 2, Portal, and the crazy upbeat trumpets of Team Fortress 2, this OST has a bit of everything. Sounds great, and of course includes the mandatory "Still Alive" track from Portal.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
#2 Posted by HayFourZee (362 posts) -

What about Katamaris Damacys soundtrack?

#3 Posted by CandleJakk (766 posts) -

Borderland's soundtrack really sticks in my mind, I even hear parts of it randomly when it's quiet.

#4 Edited by zombie2011 (5049 posts) -

I really do think the Halo soundtrack is one of the best. Halo made chanting monks cool! 

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -
@Hay4z said:
" What about Katamaris Damacys soundtrack? "
This.  For that matter, ANY Katamari soundtracks!!!
#6 Edited by Meltac (2009 posts) -

I agree with Braid, and Machinarium, and the Half-Life games has some good music in them too ^^ I thought that Okami had a really good soundtrack, which really made the games areas feel even better, and more 'alive' (Can't really find the right word :P)

#7 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

Braid is not an original soundtrack.

#8 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Halo? Organge Box? You're kidding right? I never even noticed any music in those other than "Still Alive" and the TF2 theme. 

@Eirikr said:

" Braid is not an original soundtrack. "
#9 Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -
@Eirikr said:
Yeah I know, but that music was never going to get listened to any other way...
#10 Posted by Korone (402 posts) -
@Eirikr said:
Beat me to it.
#11 Posted by MrKart (117 posts) -

Braid's soundtrack isn't original, you can buy all the songs off iTunes. They're just various New Age pieces. 

I prefer ODST's soundtrack to Halo 3's personally, and I wasn't a fan of The Orange Box's. Mechanarium is cool though.

#12 Posted by SuperJoe (899 posts) -

Hmm, I don't remember any of the music from Half-Life 2, other than the part where the lights turn red.  I remember the sound effects really well though, especially those insect gunships.

#13 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

Assassins Creed 2 has a brilliant soundtrack, and it was made by the same person who did the first games average soundtrack.

#14 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

Those soundtracks are pretty great, but I would add the Battlefield Soundtrack to that.

#15 Posted by DrRandle (1206 posts) -
@Sweep: Bioshock, 'Splosion Man, Mass Effect, the Katamari Series, the Silent Hill series, just to name a few more. :)
#16 Posted by Oni (2112 posts) -

Hitman: Blood Money
Any Nobuo Uematsu Final Fantasy OST
Ocarina of Time
Ridge Racer 4
MEGA MAN 2 AND 3

Just a few of my favorite original soundtracks.

#17 Edited by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -
#18 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

Yeah, Machinarium was excellent.  I haven't heard too many soundtracks that seemed to perfectly characterize the setting and fit the mood like this one.

#19 Edited by Capum15 (5000 posts) -

I agree with Halo (all of them, infact). Love the music. The song that plays in 3, when you're rushing down that snowy pathway to the Ark Control Center is amazing, with all the chaos going on. The song's called "One Final Effort", I think. It made that part of the level epic for me. Pretty much the main theme, but still awesome. 

Assassin's Creed 2 seemed to have a lot of no-music parts for me. A lot of times I would be running around and there wasn't anything playing. But when it finally did play, it was pretty good.

Ace Combat 6 also had a great soundtrack. "The Liberation Of Gracemeria" track is amazing.

Edit: I don't really remember anything from HL2/Portal, even though I used to play HL2 almost religiously.

#20 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6398 posts) -

My 5 favorites are pretty random: 

1) Quest for Glory 5 - Not all the tracks are spot on, but the series' theme and the "town at night" songs sound terrific  My most played score, and maybe my most played CD.   I wish an orchestral version of the 4th game's score would be released, but that's never going to happen.

2)  Final Fantasy VII - I like some of the orchestral stuff that's been done with this score.  Yeah, I know, it's unpopular to like popular games and music.  Sue me - it was a great score.   Other FF favorites of mine are VIII, IX, and X.  Yeah, that's right - I didn't much like the scores for the older games.  Tough.

3)  Halo 3 - Just an astounding selection of music. 

4)  Ocarina of Time - Just about any Zelda game could fit here, but Ocarina's was amazing and my favorite of the series.

5)  Suikoden 5 - Great score, just needed a few stand-out songs to really move up on this list.
#21 Posted by Chuggsy (556 posts) -

World of Goo has my second favorite soundtrack of all time. Zelda: OOT being first.

#22 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

I like all of those. 

#23 Posted by nick_verissimo (1401 posts) -

Mega Man X-X3 and Donkey Kong Country!

#24 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

I can agree with any list that has Halo on it.  

Da da da Dah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also really enjoyed the music in Oblivion. 

#25 Edited by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

I was going to say needs moar combat evolved but halo 3 is close enough. I always thought it was too quiet though. In halo 1 you had it blasting out while you charged at those turrets with the marines in the snowy canyon or at the beggining of the silent cartographer. in halo 3 all the good bits seem to be in cutscenes, then it goes all quiet.

#26 Posted by Dalai (7070 posts) -
@Chuggsy said:
" World of Goo has my second favorite soundtrack of all time. Zelda: OOT being first. "
Totally agree with World of Goo.  I'd also add Super Mario Galaxy since it's got the best of both worlds, classic remixed tunes and new masterpieces.
#27 Posted by dankempster (2256 posts) -

Needs more Canis Canem Edit, Sweepers... 

I kid. Nice list, and I agree with you whole-heartedly about The Orange Box.

#28 Posted by frogsoblivion21 (88 posts) -

Glad Machinarium made the list.

#29 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -
@frogsoblivion21: I agree 100%
#30 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

That song was in geometry wars? Wha? I thought there was only like one track and it was the one that just kept repeating and stuff. 

#31 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Deus Ex 

Best theme song of any post 16 bit game aside from Halo and Metal Gear Solid.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk8ByyCsks 

#32 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -
@Eirikr said:
Yeah, isn't it all licensed music from Celtic bands?
#33 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

This isn't very diverse. Just a bunch of 360 games. I'm not saying they're bad, or reflecting any opinion at all, but there's more than just 360 games with awesome soundtracks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.