Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outcast

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 31, 1999

Critically lauded but commercially unsuccessful in the United States, Belgian developer Appeal's swan song was ahead of its time and has gained a cult following. Shoot, scan, and smash pots on a variety of alien landscapes.

Outcast 1.1 has shown up on Steam

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anybody remember this game?

It seems like it was really unpopular and not many people bought it at the time of its original release. It looks a bit dated now but at the time it was something fantastic; it had simulated npc characters that reacted to what you did and for me personally it is the first example of an open world game, it also predated GTA3 by 2 years.

Anyway this new version is an update by the original developers and now can run at a whopping 1080p and can run on modern computers without hacks.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Do I get to play as Andre 3000?

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember, if a guy looks like a leader, don't approach him.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard

I thought I recognised this. Vinny played it on Random PC Game a while back. That feature needs to return.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

I saw a post from the dev saying the game chugs at 1080 on an i5 though..

For the CPU required. We just tested the game on an Intel i7-2600 @3.2Ghz, and it works smoothly at 1920*1080. :)

We also tested on an i5, and it worked too, but a bit less smoothly when running at 1080p. But no problem with lower resolutions. :)

Please remember that the game still uses the old voxel technology and the render is still software-based.

edit: of course, the dev just responded and it makes sense after all you have a voxel based engine that doesn't make use of the GPU at all, so the more threads/cores the better, it's amazing that they added muilti threaded support for that old of an game at all.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Woah what. Fuck yes! This is fucking awesome. I'm so FUCKING HYPE OMFG!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bollard said:

I thought I recognised this. Vinny played it on Random PC game a while back. That feature needs to return.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

I thought I recognised this. Vinny played it on Random PC Game a while back. That feature needs to return.

it sure does, it was the thing that made me finally subscribe.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game should run better than it did on the QL. Primarily because it no longer needs hacks to work. I recall reading the hacks were needed to slow down the main loop as CPUs today are too fast for the game.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By whitegreyblack

Awesome game. I never did get very far into it when I first played it. It was one of the first games I felt was just so big and epic that it caused me to be overwhelmed by it.

I have the original on GOG so perhaps I'll just have to jump straight into this updated version.
    edit: Looks like I will get the update on GOG fro free. Awesome. "Do note that on the Facebook page, the devs have said that the GOG version of the game will receive this update for free, so it might be best to wait if you already own a GOG copy." (http://kotaku.com/enhanced-version-of-pc-cult-classic-suddenly-pops-up-on-1672641639)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum

@tuxfool: just installed it and can confirm it runs great even at 1080 on my lowly i5, though in the end I ended up leaving it at 720 since there's not much detail there to begin with plus the ui gets really small at 1080.

anyway great version of the game, I'll definitely finish it this time.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The soundtrack for this game is severely underrated.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Cool. I never really had any interest in this game, but the RPCG video of it was funny in parts.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Holy hell. Just saw GOG's update about this on Facebook. Downloading it as we speak. I might have been one of the guys who put Outcast into Vinny's plan (asked for it when I got through on the Dave Radio Show once and they played it a bit after), and boy do I love this game! But haven't really been able to play it after buying it on GOG because of various bugs. Like the silly "walk in the water means you walk in molasses" bug.
    Really looking forward to playing it today! Which says a lot, since the other things I was going to play was Elite and Far Cry 4. Will write my thoughts about it once I have played it some.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went and bought it, still have the original disc as well. I don't think I have the energy to play through it again, since I'm pretty sure I spent several months to finish it the first time around, but I'm happy to see it has surfaced again. Hopefully this'll breath some new life into the possible sequel, since the KS earlier this year bombed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.