Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outland

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2011

A 2D platformer with an emphasis on either light or dark forms to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies. The game bears a unique visual style and "Out of this World"-style platforming gameplay.

My own Video Review of Outland!

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Popskinz

READ BEFORE WATCHING/COMMENTING

After a short break of making video reviews, i'm back and this time i'm reviewing one of the most overlooked games this year -- Outland. Note that i know have a capture card so all the footage you're seeing is taken from me and before you nag about my accent, please -- there are subtitles embedded in the video, cant see them? Get a better web browser and i am trying hard to hide it. (I'm not from the U.S. nor the U.K.)

Special thanks also goes to TwistAndSpin for helping me with the co-op footage. All constructive criticism is appreciated -- haters be gone! 

uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uvschism

I think it's really good, that's good work. It made me want to check out the game again, which is sort of the intended effect, right? I'll just give a few kind of nitpicky notes, or things to think about, because these are what I like to receive when I've made something good.

-- The writing is generally clear and concise, and that's a good thing. But at the beginning, during the overview description of the game, I felt like you were saying a few cliches, things I hear in every game review. Maybe if it were more specific to this game, that would help. That said, I felt like your reading was very clear, and I didn't ever need the subtitles. Others may have more difficulty, but I thought your reading was just fine.

-- It felt like your beginning came in too late, your narration. I was just kind of waiting around for a while, not sure if there even would be voiceover. I am guessing you wanted to showcase the game's narrator telling that part of the story or something, and that's fine, but I think it might work better if you placed it somewhere else, sometime after you've established that "This is a review, and I'm going be narrating it". I wasn't sure what to do, and if I were just a normal websurfer, I wouldn't have made it to your true beginning before clicking away.

--The piece felt just a hair long, but now I'm thinking that would be fixed by truncating that beginning part.

--The footage could maybe use a little bit more variety in terms of temporal and spatial pacing. What I mean is, the edits seemed to take place at a steady rhythm, almost like a metronome, and they were, or felt, like they were always pulled way back. I realize the capture probably only gives you so much room to play with, but I feel like a few scaled up or zoomed in shots in select places would have been more interesting, and less... steady. Maybe when you want to highlight a certain feature or something.

I'm able to give you these notes because the rest of the video was very good IMO, and so it kinda made certain elements clear if I didn't like or didn't understand them. Overall I think you accomplished your goal with the video, which is to give an intelligent take, and back it up with cited examples. Good job.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Popskinz
    @uvschism

Thank you so much! I must ask you though, could you clearly hear what i was saying? Because the reason why i'm using the subtitles is because i'm worried people will have a hard time hearing what i'm saying due to my accent -- i would very much like to know so i one day can exclude the subtitles and feel great about it xD
    uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uvschism

I could, yes. But I'm pretty used to picking out words from an accent, I've done a lot of work with international students. So it wasn't an issue for me, but I understand why you would put them in.

Maybe you could try a version without, and ask a few friends who speak english where the troublespots were?

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Popskinz
    @uvschism: Sounds like a sensible thing to do!
    BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BasketSnake

Magicka.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Popskinz
    @BasketSnake
    Yeah what about it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.