Ubisoft's Outland To Combine Darkness, Traps, And Platforming

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Classics like Ikaruga and Prince of Persia are two of the core inspirations behind a new Ubisoft-published game called Outland, a just-announced and upcoming downloadable that seeks to merge the interplay of light and darkness with the running, jumping, action, and fantasy of a traditional platform-based title.

As you can see just below, Outland will feature a creative visual style that is high on color and environment. The game might also play with scale a bit, if that Hoplite-looking dude is a fair indication of the kind of things we can expect to see in the game regularly.

Details are light, but publisher Ubisoft has spent some time discussing atmosphere in Outland. According to a recent press release, the game will feature a world on the very brink of destruction--a world that is divided and apparently sways between light and chaos. As the protagonist, we'll be putting a stop to the flip-flopping into the latter.

Outland will debut at PAX in Seattle starting this afternoon and will be available to see through September 5 at Ubisoft's booth. It is being developed by Super Stardust HD creators Housemarque and has a tentative "early" 2011 release date on both Xbox Live Arcade and PSN.     

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Classics like Ikaruga and Prince of Persia are two of the core inspirations behind a new Ubisoft-published game called Outland, a just-announced and upcoming downloadable that seeks to merge the interplay of light and darkness with the running, jumping, action, and fantasy of a traditional platform-based title.

As you can see just below, Outland will feature a creative visual style that is high on color and environment. The game might also play with scale a bit, if that Hoplite-looking dude is a fair indication of the kind of things we can expect to see in the game regularly.

Details are light, but publisher Ubisoft has spent some time discussing atmosphere in Outland. According to a recent press release, the game will feature a world on the very brink of destruction--a world that is divided and apparently sways between light and chaos. As the protagonist, we'll be putting a stop to the flip-flopping into the latter.

Outland will debut at PAX in Seattle starting this afternoon and will be available to see through September 5 at Ubisoft's booth. It is being developed by Super Stardust HD creators Housemarque and has a tentative "early" 2011 release date on both Xbox Live Arcade and PSN.     

#2 Edited by dantey (247 posts) -

Cool pics.

Edit: Finely!

#3 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -
#4 Posted by MisterMouse (3555 posts) -

looks very smooth and has a great look.

#5 Posted by Dedodido (235 posts) -

I'm amazed that the GB team is clearly posting some new stuff but seems to have looked over the Duke Nukem: Forever announcement thus far.

#6 Posted by Izzy_sinz (12 posts) -

Very nice!

#7 Posted by xseedx (57 posts) -
@Dedodido: they talked about it in the bombcast though 

looks pretty that game!
#8 Posted by wrecks (2267 posts) -

Silhouette is the new hotness.

#9 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

This does look pretty.

#10 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

Looks cool.

#11 Posted by BounceDK (172 posts) -

Ubisoft ... Run!

#12 Posted by DaBuddaDa (290 posts) -

You know guys, not every indie downloadable title has to be a 2d sidescroller.

#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Looks pretty, I'd say. Pretty indeed.

#14 Posted by Tordah (2480 posts) -

Looks very sharp!

#15 Posted by ObsideonDarman (651 posts) -

Looks Gorgeous! Excited to hear more about this from PAX 

#16 Posted by Nytrik (153 posts) -

Oh wow, that looks really really nice. 

#17 Posted by StrikerTheLizard (315 posts) -

Oh...THOSE traps.

#18 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Hmm... makes me think of N with combat and pretty visuals.

#19 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Art style looks nice.

#20 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

That pic is amazing. I'll be following this closely.

#21 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

reminds me of Trine?!

Interested to see more!! 

#22 Edited by tourgen (4515 posts) -

great!  more 2d puzzle platformers is just fine with me.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" ooooooh pretty pretty  "
#24 Posted by Jazz (2281 posts) -

Man, I was hoping for Jackie Estacado and the Darklings to return. 

@DaBuddaDa said:

" You know guys, not every indie downloadable title has to be a 2d sidescroller. "
Yes, they really do. Unless it's a shmup....
#25 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

Looks amazing. Patapon meets SotC meets Oddworld. Hope the gameplay holds up.

#26 Posted by kuma17 (155 posts) -

Hmmm... looks very pretty - therefore i'll be interested to see more of this game :).

#27 Posted by CookieMonster (2418 posts) -

ar man, I love me some more 2d platformers. We just seem to be spoilt for choice these days.

#28 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

I love the art style. Games like this are why I love Ubisoft.

#29 Posted by pureguava (70 posts) -

Interplay reference or am I just being way too nostalgic? I am Delphinely getting some Fade to Black Flashbacks that are Out of This World here.

#30 Posted by toots (462 posts) -

yay! will play!

#31 Posted by eproo (52 posts) -

With those arts they still not baying me! 

#32 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Giant enemies!? 2D Platformer!? Count me in, Mo-Fo!

#33 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Sharp art style, should be interesting to see if their is gameplay to support it.  "Darkness, traps, and platforming" don't seem like original enough gimmicks to warrant a purchase from me.

#34 Posted by fisk0 (4169 posts) -
@DaBuddaDa said:
" You know guys, not every indie downloadable title has to be a 2d sidescroller. "
You're right, not just every indie downloadable title has to be that. Every game, indie, big studio, downloadable or retail has to be that. Period.
#35 Posted by procyon (6 posts) -

Loving the aesthetic, but I need to see some gameplay.

#36 Posted by jamaicanidler (45 posts) -

I have no idea what this is but from that screenshot it looks to be pretty epic. Niice

#37 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i look forward to anything made by the guys behind Suer Stardust HD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.