Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outland

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2011

A 2D platformer with an emphasis on either light or dark forms to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies. The game bears a unique visual style and "Out of this World"-style platforming gameplay.

Yo, this is actually quite good.

• 50 results
    isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By isles

In all seriousness, I did not expect to be enjoying this as much as I am nor did I expect so much content for such a small price. I worry this will end up being badly advertised and forgotten about but there's a really fantastic art style here along with some really good animations, tight controls and a nice atmosphere. Give the trial a go or watch the Quick Look, it's worth your time and money.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By abdo

Got the trial on my Xbox download queue, will try it out when I have the time.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

OMFG it's Ikaruga combined with Strider, two games I love!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Whats ironic was I was telling my friend I wish they made a contra style game with the Ikaruga system, and damn this is pretty much it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

The art in particular looks great.  The quicklook did not do the game visual justice.

I'm planning to get it on PSN... eventually...
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 1p

The reviews at GameSpot and 1UP are surprisingly favorable. I might get this.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

Ive been looking forward to this since the quicklook, trialed it just to be sure but bought it before i even finished the demo portion.

Slows down a bit after the intro but it picks back up pretty sharp.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sjosz

This game is fantastic. Reminds me of Shadow Complex and Ikaruga. I'm over 3 hours in, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mesoian
    @CaLe said:
    " The demo was enough for me. It's a good game but I don't need to buy it. "
    There's a lot more the game has to offer beyond that demo.

It really an excellent game. Just when I start feeling like the game is getting to easy, the difficult ramps up just enough to keep things interesting, but never gets frustrating.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The graphics are pretty amazing.

I bought it last night, only got to the first checkpoint though.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I've been playing for about 3 hours now and I'm really enjoying it. I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys platformers. 

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CannonGoose

Bought this last night on a whim and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is!

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By cap123

can anybody give me an idea how long it is? i don't have much money at the moment so i'd like it if it could keep me going for a while.

it sounds like a bit of a sleeper hit, i didn't expect such positivity from you guys

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By leebmx

Gonna have to get this now, it always looked interesting but the Quick Look EX that was on here didn't really sell it. However I heard too many people, online and in the real world say how good it is. Will download it tonight. Got sooooo many games to play at moment its silly. Gonna have to take a holiday or something to get through them.

transience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By transience

just beat it today. I was super mega excited about this game but it's actually better than I expected.

fucking hell, this game is good. I beat it in about 6-7 hours, plus the entire game can be played co-op, plus there's co-op challenge rooms. plus there's an Arcade Mode that's like a high score run + time attack mode rolled into one. there's plenty of content for ten dollars. I can't believe it's not 15.

think of it as a better Shadow Complex.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By isles

I don't want to throw around statements like 'it's a better Shadow Complex' as it is different in both focus and execution but there are definitely similarities and equal amounts of things to make you want to come back and play some more.

What I will say though is that this does not lack content and the matchmaking on the co-op is an added bonus for me too! :3
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JazzyJeff

Just wanted to spread the word that Outland is pretty cool. This game will probably get more attention around here when/if the staff start talking about it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

played the demo, i might just buy it.  Be nice to see a quicklook of this game on the site. 

*edit* and just when i post this, i find the quick look EX nvm lol,  It needs more exposure though!
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By carlthenimrod

Really enjoying it thus far. So far the biggest surprise of the year for me.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slaker117

I really liked the look of the game from the Quick Look, but the gameplay didn't seem that great. With all this positive chatter, I'll at least give the demo a try now.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved what I saw of the quick look and it seemed to be getting some positive attention so I bought it when it popped up on the dashboard. I just hope it actually does get challenging, it looks like it could be a ton of fun if it does.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Slaker117

The demo was pretty good. Considering picking this up now. Just a few questions. Do your abilities expand much more, or it all going to be basic platforming and simple combat spiced with color switching? I really want to like this game now, but it still feels very mundane mechanically. Is the level design creative at least?

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CarpetRemnant

I really enjoyed the demo, the controls seem super tight and for 800 points it seems like a god damn steal. Gonna pick it up when I have time to play.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    SpanxMcFranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpanxMcFranks

I played the demo and was pleasantly surprised. I will mostly likely be purchasing this game.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By isles
    @Slaker117 said:
    " The demo was pretty good. Considering picking this up now. Just a few questions. Do your abilities expand much more, or it all going to be basic platforming and simple combat spiced with color switching? I really want to like this game now, but it still feels very mundane mechanically. Is the level design creative at least? "
    You get more abilities, yes and the combat does get more complicated. 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Slaker117
    @isles: Awesome. I really like the art style and the controls felt great, but I was afraid it going to be too simplistic. Glad to hear there's more to it, I'll be buying soon.
    Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Klei

@CaLe said:
    "

The demo was enough for me. It's a good game but I don't need to buy it.

Im in the same boat. Played the demo, was okay, but I don't really like the whole blue/red light shifting, it's not a feature that I particularly have fun with. I think it's a good game, but just not for me.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Yanngc33

Game is pretty awesome, love the concept and art style

mcpaul15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mcpaul15

This game is amazing so far. The platforming is shockingly fluid, and the light/dark dynamic keeps the game interesting and challenging.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By soldierg654342

Is was all on board until:

I haven't played past that, so hopefully there isn't any other bullshit than that. I will with hold my recommendation until then. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yanngc33
    @SoldierG654342: haven't made it there yet, is it really that bad?
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By soldierg654342
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " @SoldierG654342: haven't made it there yet, is it really that bad? "
    It's a three stage boss fight without checkpoint between any of them. If you die at any part, you have to do it all over. Playing it isn't actually that hard (except for the last stage, that's where I always died), but the way the fight is designed makes me really worried for the rest, which is a shame, because I really liked the fight with the High Priestess. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yanngc33
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    " @SoldierG654342: haven't made it there yet, is it really that bad? "
    It's a three stage boss fight without checkpoint between any of them. If you die at any part, you have to do it all over. Playing it isn't actually that hard (except for the last stage, that's where I always died), but the way the fight is designed makes me really worried for the rest, which is a shame, because I really liked the fight with the High Priestess.  "
    Thanks I'll be sure to look out for it :)
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GunstarRed

@SoldierG654342:
     That boss is by far the easiest in the game, theres two places  where nothing can hurt you  as long as you take your time. The flying dragon boss on the other hand is a total motherfucker in the third stage. I'm glad the game is as challenging as it is, never unfair and chances are if you died it's your own fault and not the games.

The game has really impressed me  with the amount of content for 800 points, It's not quite as good as Shadow Complex but  as someone else said the focus is very different. The game makes you learn how to use the colour shifting instead of just letting you force your way through and there are plenty of upgrades  to make the game a little bit easier. I found all of the checkpoints to be pretty fair  including the multi-stage bosses, I never had to retry one of them more than 10 times. The art style is great, the length puts a ton of full priced releases to shame and it has a fun set of achievements.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sanious
    @marioncobretti said:
    "

@SoldierG654342:
     That boss is by far the easiest in the game, theres two places  where nothing can hurt you  as long as you take your time. The flying dragon boss on the other hand is a total motherfucker in the third stage. I'm glad the game is as challenging as it is, never unfair and chances are if you died it's your own fault and not the games.

Yea, so far after beating the second boss this is how I feel. it's difficult but not to the point where it's really frustrating or feels cheap at all. I love the feel of the game, just feels really fluid and it's really nice to look at. When I first saw the trailer I was most definitely interested and so far I'm happy with it.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By PerryVandell

Yet another reminder that I still need to download the demo for this game.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By isles

Got big love on the Bombcast, get on it doubters!

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By soldierg654342
    @marioncobretti said:
    "

@SoldierG654342:

The game has really impressed me  with the amount of content for 800 points, It's not quite as good as Shadow Complex but  as someone else said the focus is very different. The game makes you learn how to use the colour shifting instead of just letting you force your way through and there are plenty of upgrades  to make the game a little bit easier. I found all of the checkpoints to be pretty fair  including the multi-stage bosses, I never had to retry one of them more than 10 times. The art style is great, the length puts a ton of full priced releases to shame and it has a fun set of achievements.

"
    It wasn't the difficulty of the boss that was an issue so much as an unnecessary lack of checkpoints that had me worried, and turns out that worry was justified. I just got to the Winged Serpent and it's a three stage boss fight with no checkpoints in between. I've proven three times over I can do the run up, just let be do the fight! 

Also, the little niggling troubles I had with the art style have come to fruition in the Sky World. Things are so dark I literally cannot see obstacles. I'll drop down a pit thinking it's safe only to get hit by spikes.

I really want to like this game, and so far there's nothing major wrong with it. There are just a growing stack of little issues getting in the way. 
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GunstarRed

@SoldierG654342:
    The game would have possibly benefited from checkpointing after the running/jumping sequence but play that sequence enough and you will realize none of the mines  from the sky are random and with a tiny bit of staring at  the pattern youll realize its quite simple, infact all of the bosses are quite simple including the initially confusing final boss. I just don't see how lack of checkpoints ruin the game at all. During the levels checkpoints are possibly a little too frequent and the fact the game wants you to learn a set of patterns instead of just hammering away at the attack button is quite refreshing.

Also you should have 11 hearts by this point, I could see if you had not been backtracking/buying all the hearts this sequence could be much, much harder.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I think this game would be better with no combat. It's not fun, slows down the pace and the enemys sometimes get in the way.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brad
    @marioncobretti said:
    "

@SoldierG654342:
    The game would have possibly benefited from checkpointing after the running/jumping sequence but play that sequence enough and you will realize none of the mines  from the sky are random and with a tiny bit of staring at  the pattern youll realize its quite simple, infact all of the bosses are quite simple including the initially confusing final boss. I just don't see how lack of checkpoints ruin the game at all. During the levels checkpoints are possibly a little too frequent and the fact the game wants you to learn a set of patterns instead of just hammering away at the attack button is quite refreshing.

Also you should have 11 hearts by this point, I could see if you had not been backtracking/buying all the hearts this sequence could be much, much harder.

"
    Oh man, I only finished with 8 or 9... those last couple of hearts would have been nice on the end boss.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By soldierg654342
    @marioncobretti said:
    "

@SoldierG654342:

"
    Yeah, I only have about six right now...

I'm not saying that a lack of check points is ruining the game. I wouldn't still be playing it if that were the case, it's just very frustrating having to redo parts that I can finish multiple times when they arn't directly connect to the actual direct conflict. At least give me a check point between the forced scrolling and actual fight. It's just a really bizarre design choice, considering that I think the check-pointing in the rest of the game is pretty good. 
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunstarRed

@Brad:
    I finished with 12 hearts and 7 magic  energy things and I can't imagine having to fight it with much  less.  Having the double damage sword by collecting all of the marks of the gods really helped too.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By isles
    @ImmortalSaiyan: Disagree completely, the combat is really well implemented and adds a different level of mayhem in later levels when you're having to switch constantly. The animations and variety of combat is pretty well done too. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Yanngc33
    @isles said:
    " @ImmortalSaiyan: Disagree completely, the combat is really well implemented and adds a different level of mayhem in later levels when you're having to switch constantly. The animations and variety of combat is pretty well done too.  "
    Agreed, it adds a layer of difficulty to the platforming because if it were only platforming the game would be sort of easy come to think of it
    Capt_Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Capt_Pudge

Also I think the combat a layer of diversity to keep you rolling with the tempo of the game. Though nothing is more satisfying then barreling through, slipping through polarities, juggling and diciing enemies as well as dashing under low ceilinged areas. It just flows so god damn good 

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By KingX

Easily one of the best "stoner" games ever created. Its such a psychadlic experience with the sound and the graphics just working its way like magic.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shadows_kill

Got it and Deathspank when PS3 came back online... Haven't played either!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta get back to this game. I dug the two hours or so I sunk into it. Nice fluid controls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.