Who invented the over-the-shoulder perspective?

#1 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

The oldest game I can think of that used this perspective is the first Splinter Cell on the PC. When you wanted to shoot your pistol, the camera moved over Sam's shoulder and then a reticle appeared.

Do you remember any older games using this? Specifically shooters?

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

According to the list of games associated with this concept, it would be Conker's Bad Fur Day.  I never played it so I can't really verify that.

#3 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I'm not sure, but it was probably earlier than Splinter Cell, there must've been something PS1 era.

#4 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I know that Conker's remake on the original Xbox had over-the-shoulder shooting, but just like you, I've never played the original to know.

#5 Edited by Marzy (675 posts) -

I seem to remember Tomorrow Never Dies on PS1 had an Over-The-Shoulder perceptive.

I can't be sure though.

#6 Posted by MattQ (47 posts) -

Syphon Filter was an over the shoulder camera if I remember correctly.

#7 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@Marzy:
If I recall, when you zoomed in, the game kind of blurred out the character, right? 

So Tomorrow Never Dies is the oldest game that we are sure that implemented this perspective (to this moment).
#8 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I think it would also have to be splinter cell when it came to shooting your weapon. But the first one that I've noticed to use it the entire game would have to be Resident Evil 4.

#9 Posted by damswedon (3202 posts) -
@buzz_killington: tomorrow never dies just had a third person camera, i dont think it counts.
#10 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

No idea which one was first, but I´m pretty sure Resident Evil 4 popularised it.

#11 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@damswedon:
OK so let's make the rules clear. The camera must be placed behind the character, but zoomed-in in such a way that the character's shoulder would fill-up one of the corners of the screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.