Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Which platform are you most likely to play Overwatch on?

• 52 results
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Poll Which platform are you most likely to play Overwatch on? (628 votes)

PC 58%
    PlayStation 4 23%
    Xbox One 8%
    None 11%

There has been a lot of talk about possible issues with the player base of certain versions of Overwatch, so I thought it would be interesting to see what the numbers looked like at this point.

Buying it or not? Already preordered? Undecided?

• 
    clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I already bought and am currently playing Overwatch for PC. For some reason I always intended to get it for PC even though I could have bought the PS4 version. I hope this game is supported for a long time everywhere, but the PC seemed like the most future proof and could be the most active version.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was thinking about getting it on PC but after playing the beta, I think I'll pass. Can't really understand why it's not a free to play game, especially considering the success they're having with Hearthstone and HOTS.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't decide whether to get it for PS4 or PC, so I'll most likely get both.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 or nothing.

Avatar image for tastycakesmcg33
    TastyCakesMcG33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted for PC because I will at least give it a look see soon enough. But if I'm entirely honest, I probably won't "play" it really much at all.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be PC, but all of my friends are console players so looks like I'm playing on the Xbox One!

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PC. If progression were cross-platform I'd maybe pick up the PS4 version at some point as well, but it doesn't sound like that'll be happening.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maluvin

PS4. My son's computer can handle it but my PC won't so not much of choice right now.

Gatobolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gatobolo

@clagnaught said:

the PC seemed like the most future proof and could be the most active version.

Not only that, this being more in the veins of Quake felt better suit for M/KB controls

And yeah, Blizzard games are usually still played years after release

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By confusedowl

Not 100% sure if I'll be buying it but I've been enjoying the beta so far. Mostly likely I'd get it on PC because it's cheaper and my laptop runs it okay on medium settings.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was thinking about getting it on PC but after playing the beta, I think I'll pass. Can't really understand why it's not a free to play game, especially considering the success they're having with Hearthstone and HOTS.

The architecture of the game would crumble if it was free-to-play. The game is mean't to be played where each player changes heroes in-between deaths to accommodate the strengths and weaknesses of the other teams. Playing Overwatch with few heroes unlocked and relying on team-makeups to meld properly is a disaster waiting to happen. I know everyone wants all of these types of games to go the route of DOTA2 with a fully unlocked roster and only cosmetics costing money, but I truly think DOTA2 is a one-of-a-kind instance where that can be accomplished due to the very nature of it's market and platform.

Also, I plan to get it on PC once I have the cash!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

If I was to play it in my current circumstances, it would be on PS4, but not very interested right now. My assumption is that most of people who are either A) already interested in this game or B) have even heard of this game, are more likely to be "PC-first". But, blizz being blizz, who knows, maybe this will catch fire on consoles like other competitive shooters have not recently.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

PC for sure. Thing works on Vista, and I'm able to get around 50 FPS without it looking like shit, so good on you Blizzard. Dunno when I'll get it, but it's definitely on my list now.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm undecided if I will buy it.

But PC will be my platform of choice.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PS4, I don't have a gaming PC.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I might get it at some point. It runs pretty well on my shitty PC, but it also comes at the cost of pretty much anything resembling graphics. I'm honestly more comfortable with the PS4 controller, and it looks great on there, but as said this kind of game is really designed for and embraced by the PC market first and foremost. Gonna be interesting to see if it has any staying power on consoles. I hope it does, personally. If it's still alive on PS4 by the time it goes on sale, maybe I'll jump in there.

EmJayJordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how it feels on a console. Weird right? I've got the One so I'm playing it on the One. Simple

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blizzard has done a fantastic job of supporting the console versions of Diablo 3 so I'm very hopeful of Overwatch's console support. So much so that I've already pre-ordered the game for my PS4.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably just luck of the draw but so far my console experience vs PC has been a lot more people blatantly ignoring team composition and deciding that we totally need three Genji's, who cares if the game itself is actually telling us otherwise.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've been jumping between the two and something about aiming without the ability to ADS on a controller doesn't sit well with me. Also while this should be pretty obvious, after playing several games on PC and then jumping to PS4 the visuals are drastically different.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i get it, it'll be on ps4 but like you said i'm worried about the user base and longevity of the game.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go PC just because it feels right in this case. I'm sure the console versions are fine, but this game feels too fast for me without a mouse and keyboard.

dercomrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC. Love the game. Tried it on ps4, those sticks just aren't quick enough for my liking.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

None. No interest in it.

acidcrashx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

was actually impressed with how it ran on PS4 but the PC controls are just too good to pass up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

PC because superiority.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

PC. I played the beta there and loved it.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

PC. Sounds like people are having a good time with the console versions, but I don't think I could pull off some of the required precision with a controller myself.

Also I can't afford the space on my PS4 - it's full all the time anyway, and Overwatch is the kind of game I'd probably want to keep installed all the time so I could keep dipping back into it on the regular. So that'd almost be out of the question even if I was more interested in playing it on there.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GB community seems to be attracted to PC gaming over console gaming, plus it's cheaper on PC by 20 bucks. So the results aren't really surprising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be1da2bba3cc
    deactivated-5be1da2bba3cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC. My whole console clan more or less wasn't interested in the game, and I felt it controlled a lot better on the PC than it did on either console. Aiming felt...imprecise and much more difficult than I'm accustomed to on a console.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Unless your PC can't run it, or literally everyone you would ever want to play with are locked to a console. There is pretty much zero reason to go console for that game. It's just better on PC.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely going PS4 as I have more friends playing on there in general.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC obviously, who even owns consoles?

I played on both and I think that it genuinely feels better on PC. I did not enjoy using McCree on a gamepad.. maybe because you can't aim down sights I dunno felt off. Mouse surprisingly felt really good even though I haven't played a game with mouse and keyboard like some savage in years.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rotnac

None. The beta did nothing for me. The game plays fine and makes you feel like a badass when shit happens but there's little incentive for me to keep playing. It just gets boring quick for me and feels like something that should be free-to-play.

That said, if it ever became free or super cheap I would play on PC cause that's where Blizzard games are best supported.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

Unless your PC can't run it, or literally everyone you would ever want to play with are locked to a console. There is pretty much zero reason to go console for that game. It's just better on PC.

What about if i just like playing with a gamepad?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Humanity

@oursin_360: Get it for PC and play with a gamepad. Actually scratch that, I think playing with a pad against people on PC would be a really bad idea seeing as most other people will be using mouse and keyboard. If you VASTLY prefer gamepad to mouse and keyboard then go for it, but I would strongly recommend trying out the archaic ball and chain if you haven't yet. Unless you've never been a PC gamer and just don't have that muscle memory then I'm sure gamepad will be totally adequate.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm super torn between XBox One and PC. Torn to the point that I could end up passing altogether out of indecisiveness. As of late I've been really into relaxing on the couch, pick-up-and-play with a controller, but if I got really into Overwatch I could see me dragging out ©™GaMe-ChAiR™©*, mouse and keyboard for long sessions.

I'm extremely curious if Overwatch will, at release or at some point afterwards, be included in Microsoft's cross-buy program or at least have some sort of XBone/Win10 bundle discount. That would easily make this game a day one purchase for me.

(*GaMe-ChAiR is my living room armchair with a spare table leaf laid across it's arms, icywc)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I'm extremely curious if Overwatch will, at release or at some point afterwards, be included in Microsoft's cross-buy program or at least have some sort of XBone/Win10 bundle discount. That would easily make this game a day one purchase for me.

I think that is strictly for Microsoft published games that are also on Windows Store.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss

@mike: Yeah I know, but you never know what potential deals might surface when dealing with two companies of this size and caliber. I'm not one who typically supports these types of arrangements but hey, as you know, whether we like it or not, we all have a soft-spot for backroom deals that end up suiting our own personal ends.

...and this one would sooooo suit my personal ends ;)

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By matatat

I felt like playing some of the characters on the PS4 version was hindered by the controller. Notably I found Pharah kinda difficult to control in a way that I did not on the PC. The console version seems serviceable but this is definitely a game that I want to play more on PC.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Mouse and keyboard feels too good to pass up, so I will be getting it on PC. Plus, none of my friends on PS4 are interested in the game, so there's that too.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was going to be PC all the way but my friends are now as hype as I am for it. So PS4.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

PC of course

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't planning on playing it but my friend keeps pushing it and comparing it time splitters for some fucking reason.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'll be playing on PS4, mostly because I'm more into sitting on a couch and playing games on a big screen. And also, I don't give a rats ass about trivial/technical advantages on a PC, even though I have one that can run it well enough.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going PS4, but if I could run it, I'd do PC. I like this game too much to pass it up. Also it felt fine on controllers,especially since you can customize controls for heroes individually. Though McCree, Tracer, and the snipers will definitely take some extra work due to raw aiming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.