Anyone else think this game was too easy?

#1 Edited by FalseDeity (229 posts) -

I know this game is super critically acclaimed and I really hate to be this guy, but did anyone else, especially fans of the first game, disappointed by how ridiculously easy this was? Like this has to be the most forgiving game I've ever played. Most notably the game slows down when you're about to collide into ghosts, in this time the ghosts are easy to predict without having to waste a bomb. For example, if one of the ghosts closing in on you has a path leading another way between you and it, it will always go the other way. The ghosts will also slow down if you get stopped on a wall. So, often the case is that I'll rarely ever die, and will have a huge surplus of bombs and lives. Even the achievements I was able to S-rank in an hour. It's actually therapeutic because I can just relax and focus on obliterating large trains of ghosts without the fear of death, and that feels pretty good.

#2 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

It isn't about surviving. 

It's about score.

#3 Posted by FalseDeity (229 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" It isn't about surviving.  It's about score. "
Alright, alright. That's a fair viewpoint and I did consider it, but I still think that's contrary to the design of the first Pac-Man CE.
#4 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -
@FalseDeity:  The first CE wasn't such a revamp as this one, it still was more about survival while DX is mostly about setting up ghost combos.
#5 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

the game seems easier, the achievements are easier but the real meat of the game is the leaderboards. Pac-Man Champ DX is exactly like Geo Wars 2, lots of variety on a proven concept and great for high score addicts.

#6 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

iT'S FOR... God damn it. Forgetting to turn off caps... Anyways it's for leader board hounds, probably is more challenging when you try to aim for the top of the charts.

#7 Posted by FalseDeity (229 posts) -
@animateria said:
" iT'S FOR... God damn it. Forgetting to turn off caps... Anyways it's for leader board hounds, probably is more challenging when you try to aim for the top of the charts. "
The most interesting thing about that post is that you opted to roll with it instead of backspacing. 

At any rate, yeah the design choices are seemingly for score. They probably should have just done away with the lives system entirely and just make it a time penalty if you hit a ghost so it's clear with their intent.
#8 Posted by ImBigInJapan (284 posts) -
@FalseDeity said:
" @animateria said:
" iT'S FOR... God damn it. Forgetting to turn off caps... Anyways it's for leader board hounds, probably is more challenging when you try to aim for the top of the charts. "
The most interesting thing about that post is that you opted to roll with it instead of backspacing.  At any rate, yeah the design choices are seemingly for score. They probably should have just done away with the lives system entirely and just make it a time penalty if you hit a ghost so it's clear with their intent. "

There is a time penalty in the sense that you have to wait for the animation and respawn if you get hit. The fact that there is a lives limit gives the flexibility of keeping the more traditional type of Pac-Man challenge in the game. It might not matter to any "decent" player as the game is pretty forgiving but if a young child is playing it (for example) it's another way to measure challenge and progress. I think the fact that they have modes like free play show that while the intent might be score attack they felt no reason to limit the game to just that  when the flexibility could remain without impacting the core gameplay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.