Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Create a long-winding train of ghosts and eat 'em for large combos in this frantic sequel to Pac-Man Championship Edition.

IGN gives Pac-Man CE DX a perfect 10

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FrankWeidner
    http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/113/1134848p1.html  

And you know what? I've only played for a couple of hours, but those hours passed by in what felt like just a few minutes. I kind of feel like I'm on a sugar rush (and/or a crack binge). Setting up and taking down ghost combos is ridiculous, giggle-inducing fun. Counting all of the variations, there are around 100 game modes, all of which are fun and have their own leaderboards. The time-trials are especially genius, because after you complete them, the next time you play them you have as much time as your previous best. All of this variety, beautiful graphics and a great techno-soundtrack, and gameplay that is a pure adrenaline rush. So yeah, good on you, IGN, for giving this a perfect 10 - I may come off of my sugar-high eventually, but for now I totally agree. 

Also, all of the comments on the site with people bitching about how "Pac-Man isn't better than Black-Ops, FUCK YOU IGN" are hilarious.
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sanity

Yea, great little game, i wish the achievements were harder is all, think i got most of them in my first half hour but regardless its fun as hell. Even better considering i used my free 800 points from last month for it. 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

I hate Pac-Man to me i'ts more stressful than fun.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By RavenX302

I have no interest in pac man and never really did. But, this game looks pretty frgging insane. I still will probably wait for the price drop before I pick it up.

null_subject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By null_subject

This might get me into Pac Man.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @zombie2011 said:
    " I hate Pac-Man to me i'ts more stressful than fun. "
    To be honest, this is one of the easiest versions of Pac-Man. The bombs and bullet-time combine to make the game much more about score than survival.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

The game is amazing.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

Yea, like IGN has any credibility left behind their reviews...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Yea, like IGN has any credibility left behind their reviews... "
    of course, this guy exactly has never given a game a 10 before.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

It's not really a ten. It's a 9.6 if they actually do the math right. IGN has a weird way of doing their scores. But, whatever right? That's nice. Probably still won't get it.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Enigma777
    @Laketown said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    of course, this guy exactly has never given a game a 10 before. "
    I don't see how that makes it all ok...

I'm not trying to rag on the game or anything since even Ryan seems to love it, but I wouldn't trust an IGN reviewer any farther than I can throw them, and that's not very far at all...
    Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kieran_ES

I love the comments on the review, trying to tell Daemon what he should have given it and making judgement despite having never played it.  

As for their credibility, it's a group of individuals who give their opinions on games like any other site. I don't know what the perceived wrong they are supposed to have committed is, that seems to make every review there somehow worth less than another individual opinion. 

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WEGGLES
    @NTM: The final score is not an average. 

http://games.ign.com/ratings.html  

It's important to note that the overall rating is not an average of the five individual categories. We believe that no game will ever fit into a simplistic numeric formula. Many titles are more than a sum of their parts, so the overall score is left to the judgment of the reviewer. This gives you a better sense of the reviewer's overall experience with the game rather than forcing our editors to use an average to determine the final rating for games of multiple types. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By benpack
    @Enigma777: And your basis for not believing in the credibility of the reviews is...?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

Ugh a few of these comments are really lame.  It's getting really tiring to hear people assume that 99% of all game reviewers are shifty sleazebags who take money for reviews. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

Reading comments on IGN reviews, YouTube videos, and iTunes apps always hurts.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @GlenTennis said:
    " @Enigma777: And your basis for not believing in the credibility of the reviews is...? "
    It's IGN. It's 'cool' to bash them under false pretenses. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I guess I will use my free 800 points for Pac Man.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FreakAche

I avoid the comment sections on IGN because they tend to be too full of spam to pick out any actual delightfully stupid comments. But, I always have a great time reading the comments on their video reviews on YouTube. I have moderate respect for a decent amount of the people working at IGN, but it blows my mind how a website can have such an incredibly dumb user base.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WEGGLES
    @ImmortalSaiyan: That's what I did. Worked out well for me :) 
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Enigma777 said:
    People like you are so tired now.  Just stop existing, do us all a favor please.
    President_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By President_Evil
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan:  I'm right with ya.  Pacman CE:DX is the very definition of "videogame."  Just finished my first two hour play session and even though I've wrung all the cheevos out of it, I'm COMPLETELY hooked.  I can't believe they've managed to take such a known quantity and turn it into something so goddamn crazy and addictive.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Sooperspy

I want my free 800 ms points already. The trial is awesome, and I really need this game NOW!

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JMartNWA

I'm digging it big time... I give Daemon credit at IGN, for he has given two games a perfect ten in his life, both this year, both downloadable titles.  This one and Joe Danger... which put it on my radar a week before most other outlets got to it and GB put up the exceptional QL.  While I no longer worship at the altar of IGN, once I found other places (GB), Daemon usually makes the most sense and seems to rate with his heart.  I'll give him that.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Enigma777
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    " @Enigma777: And your basis for not believing in the credibility of the reviews is...? "
    It's IGN. It's 'cool' to bash them under false pretenses. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. "
    Actually it's the fact that they fired most of the decent editors (like Roper) but kept the asshats. Add in the years of crappy reviews (GTA6, FO3, War for Cybertron, WKC, Bloodstone, R2, the list goes on and on and on) and countless retarded "Top ____" articles and fanboy baiting. IGN was great... 5 years ago. Now it's a giant steaming cauldron of shit.
    ZeeGreat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZeeGreat1
    @WEGGLES said:
    " @ImmortalSaiyan: That's what I did. Worked out well for me :)  "
    Ditto, free Pac-Man is the best kind of Pac-Man. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wow great score for a pac-man game, waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka  waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka  waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Wow great score for a pac-man game, waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka  waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka  waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

"
    Yes, yes that is sort of the sound Pac-Man makes. Hooray?
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @PrimeSynergy said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    It's IGN. It's 'cool' to bash them under false pretenses. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. "
    Actually it's the fact that they fired most of the decent editors (like Roper) but kept the asshats. Add in the years of crappy reviews (GTA6, FO3, War for Cybertron, WKC, Bloodstone, R2, the list goes on and on and on) and countless retarded "Top ____" articles and fanboy baiting. IGN was great... 5 years ago. Now it's a giant steaming cauldron of shit. "
    And still I am confused.
    • GTA4(is what I assume you meant) - 10
    • Blood Stone - 5
    • Transformers - 9
    • WKC - 5.1
    • Resistance 2 - 9.5
    • Fallout 3 - 9.6

Am I missing something? All the scores seem to make sense. Unless it's something specific they wrote in the review, I'm completely lost. Some might argue with a perfect 10 for GTA4. I don't. Why? When that game came out, it was worth the wait. It was great...back then. Looking back on it from today's perspective, I would never give it a 10, but back then? Hell yeah I would.

Blood Stone - Self explanatory. Most people I know didn't like it. A 5 seems about right. Not sure if you noticed, but a 5 on their scale is exactly the same thing as a 3 on the GB scale.

Transformers - Again not sure what the problem is. Great game, the reviewer liked it. What's the issue?

WKC - Are you insinuating this game deserved a higher score? This game? A 5.1 was being generous in my opinion.

Resistance 2 - Great shooter. Arguably the best on the PS3 when it came out at the time.

Fallout 3 - This is probably the most baffling. No one can argue Bethesda's games are janky as hell, but the fun factor far outweighs the problems 99.9% of the time.

And just because you don't like some of the editors doesn't mean they aren't doing a good job. I was sad to see Roper leave too, but it's not like he was holding the site together. A few of the guys who've left lately though have done just that...they left. They weren't fired or anything of the sort.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an IGN fanboy or anything. In fact, some of their staff gets on my nerves too. I just don't understand where all this hate is coming from. People seem to discredit IGN all the time, but rarely (if ever) do I see a valid reason for doing so. I'm fine with people just not liking something because they are entitled to their opinions after all, but to completely discredit an entire organization is a whole different ballgame.
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @PrimeSynergy: People hate whatever is the most popular thing. IGN is the most popular videogame website, so people hate it. Worrying about why people irrationally love or hate a site doesn't accomplish much. Just ignore them, read the content for yourself, and form your own opinion.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN loves some DLC, no? I'm not necessarily saying just add-ons, but full XBOX Live games like Super Meat Boy and Shadow Complex. Do remember that Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption also got a perfect 10 as well.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Red
    @WEGGLES: I still don't get why IGN will sometimes have a game rated only based on the highest of one of its scores, or the lowest. Just makes the scores seem even more thought out of random.
    cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cnlmullen

I generally don't pay much attention to scores, but Pac-Man CE DX sounds like an all around awesome game. If only I had a Xbox 360.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Played the demo and I thought it was awesome. Eating all those ghosts up was amazingly addicting. If I had the points I would have bought it right then and there.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Skald

I am totally going to get it when it hits PSN.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RsistncE

OMG PAC MAN IS NOT BETTER THAN BLACK OPS

VRMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By VRMN

Honestly, for what it is, it's just about perfect. I have no qualms with this 10/10 at all...not that I ever really have qualms with review scores, but you catch my drift.
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @RsistncE said:
    " OMG PAC MAN IS NOT BETTER THAN BLACK OPS "
    IT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS IGN'S SCORES ARE THE GOSPEL AND MAY NEVER BE QUESTIONED. 

Okay, I actually haven't played Black Ops yet. But I'm tempted to get it just for Gun Game and One in the Chamber.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By captain_clayman

first of all IGN is retarded 

but this game is amazing.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stinky
    @GlenTennis said:
    guy obviously had a difference of opinion. and who could trust anyone after that? ... 
    once met a guy who preferred Pepsi over Coke, lost all his credentials right there.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Animasta
    @stinky said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    guy obviously had a difference of opinion. and who could trust anyone after that? ... once met a guy who preferred Pepsi over Coke, lost all his credentials right there. "
    pepsi owns <:@
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By OneManX
    @stinky said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    guy obviously had a difference of opinion. and who could trust anyone after that? ... once met a guy who preferred Pepsi over Coke, lost all his credentials right there. "
    I lol'd
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RsistncE
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " OMG PAC MAN IS NOT BETTER THAN BLACK OPS "
    IT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS IGN'S SCORES ARE THE GOSPEL AND MAY NEVER BE QUESTIONED.  Okay, I actually haven't played Black Ops yet. But I'm tempted to get it just for Gun Game and One in the Chamber. "
    I was being sarcastic by the way, I'm not sure if I was clear about that but yeah. I find it hard to believe that people try to stack up reviews by different reviewers on different platforms; that's why I hate reviews to begin with, not because of the reviews themselves, but because people interpret them in such idiotic ways.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BBQBram

Leave it to the internet to turn a positive review into a source of negativity. This game is freaking perfect on it's own merits. 100% consistent design, nothing missing here.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I knew their new points system would lead to more tens. 

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Hizang

This makes me so happy for Pac-Man, despite how much money is spent on games like Black Ops and Assassains Creed, games like this are superior!
    hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#48  Edited By hostile

I love, love the game but the easily attainable high score roof, at least for CHAMP2, bothers me so much I would argue it doesn't deserve the highest score.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.