Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Create a long-winding train of ghosts and eat 'em for large combos in this frantic sequel to Pac-Man Championship Edition.

"Kill Screen" on Dungeon?

kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kitsunezeta

Apparently, it's not possible to get 65 fruit on both sides in Dungeon, as getting the 65th fruit on for the left side causes a glitch and makes it count for the right side, causing a wall change on the right side and potentially preventing pellets from being obtained. It's impossible to hit this in the 5 minute time attack, but I've been able to do it in just under 9 minutes in free mode, no roaming ghosts, which means it's possible that someone could hit it in the 10-minute Score Attack.

My stats at the time were:
    Score: 3,413,350
    Lives lost: 0
    Bombs used: 0
    Fruit collected: 129 (64 left, 65 right) - note that the last fruit was collected on the right side of the field, so it should've been 65 left, 64 right
    Ghosts eaten: 731

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By doomed
    kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kitsunezeta

Apparently, the reason there's a lot of close 3-point-something scores on the 10-minute score attack for Dungeon is because of the kill screen. I'm in the process of getting a video made of my (3rd-place as of last checking) run which ended with a Kill Screen.

I would like to mention that this isn't just limited to Dungeon, however it is easiest to pull it off on Dungeon due to having a lot of close patterns. I've done it on Manhatten, Championship II, and Spiral in Free Mode (0 Ghosts)

[edit: Video's up now]

Avatar image for mr_tittious_jones_3rd
    Mr_Tittious_Jones_3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting. I wonder if that was done on purpose...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Mr_Tittious_Jones_3rd said:
    " Interesting. I wonder if that was done on purpose... "
    Im sure it is. 
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benpack

Did someone say kill screen? Oh nevermind it's that shitty new Pac Man
     Did someone say kill screen? Oh nevermind it's that shitty new Pac Man
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By killroycantkill

I know kill screens were there back in the day, but it seems kind of lame now that your score will be limited. They could have made the patterns loop or something.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

That's a cool throwback.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By regularassmilk
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " I know kill screens were there back in the day, but it seems kind of lame now that your score will be limited. They could have made the patterns loop or something. "
    Your score isn't limited  because everyone gets the killscreen.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Xeiphyer said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " I know kill screens were there back in the day, but it seems kind of lame now that your score will be limited. They could have made the patterns loop or something. "
    Your score isn't limited  because everyone gets the killscreen. "
    What... If around 3.2mil I get a killscreen, that means I can't get to 4mil. Thus my score is limited, and just because everyone gets it means everyones score potental is limited.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " @Xeiphyer said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    What... If around 3.2mil I get a killscreen, that means I can't get to 4mil. Thus my score is limited, and just because everyone gets it means everyones score potental is limited. "
    Then my score is limited because there aren't more oppertunities to gain score. If I have 2935873273295732632 mil and only get 3.2 mil, my score must be limited?
    kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kitsunezeta
    @Xeiphyer said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " @Xeiphyer said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    What... If around 3.2mil I get a killscreen, that means I can't get to 4mil. Thus my score is limited, and just because everyone gets it means everyones score potental is limited. "
    Then my score is limited because there aren't more oppertunities to gain score. If I have 2935873273295732632 mil and only get 3.2 mil, my score must be limited? "
    I'd estimate the limit's probably around 4 million on Dungeon - I can pull off 3.4 million in Free Mode without roaming ghosts. The key is knowing exactly how long to sustain a ghost combo - too long, and you won't have a 30-ghost train when you start the next combo, too short and you'll lose a lot of ghosts to the train limit. Hell, you can probably make some route adjustments to account for the 30-ghost limit on the train to the first power pellet to get the score in the fastest time, since on most of the courses, there are around 33-34 sleeping ghosts to the first power pellet.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BBQBram

I think it's pretty cool to make a homage to days of kill screens past like this. It doesn't really matter that it cuts the maximum score potential off - the timer will do that anyway.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JokerSmilez

If the score is limited, then it becomes about time. 6 people have achieved a "perfect" score in original Pac-Man but only one person has done it in 3 hours, 34 minutes, and 8 seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.