Proof of a gamer gene?

#1 Edited by BlaineBlaine (447 posts) -

Seriously though, I get the same irrational, turgid rush whenever I tear through a huge row of ghosts. It's such a simple but amazingly satisfying experience. It's like Namco has discovered something that just releases video game endorphins in a shit load of people. It's not just fun. It satiates something. 

#2 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

You're exactly right.  I wouldn't call it the gamer genre but this is so the way games used to be a very long time ago.  Now you have tons of storytelling and pretty scenery to distract you from the core of what makes games great in the first place.

Boy you wrote gene and I read genre.  Having real problems with that today, sorry.

But yea everything in Pac Man CE DX is designed to resonate with satisfaction.

#3 Posted by Redbullet685 (6017 posts) -

I love ramming through dozens of ghosts at a time. So satisfying.

#4 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
I agree, precisely because this DOESN'T interest me. I cam clearly much more focused on story and the way that it is are presented. Which is ironic if you consider that I own umpteen-million 2600/intellivision games.

Not that I don't enjoy a good solid "game" experience now and then, but its clearly not my area.

EDIT: @Diamond: Gah, totally did the same thing
#5 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

Maybe, but I hope not. I feel like I'm one of the few who does not see the grand appeal of this game. I listened to Ryan's comments on the Bombcast and I watched the Quick Look, but every time I saw them eat a train of ghosts I just thought, "That's supposed to be exciting?"

Maybe playing it is more satisfying than watching it, but right now I don't see what all the hubbub is about.

#6 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The music... god the music is so good.  Not played it yet, but I intend to buy it.  The ghost train-eating is great.

#7 Posted by heatDrive88 (2262 posts) -
@nintendoeats:  
@Diamond said:

"Boy you wrote gene and I read genre.  Having real problems with that today, sorry.  "

To be fair, a lowercase 'n' has the shape of a lowercase 'r' inside of it, which can easily cause letters to be camouflaged within each other.

Now back to the original topic. 

Not to kill your endorphin rush, but it's the visual attitude and 'fever rush' sort of stylistic flair of insanity that is coupled with the gameplay (and maybe copious amounts of nostalgia) that is causing the draw to this game when you dissect it to the sum of it's own parts. I'm sure most can agree that without the visual flair and thumping beats of the music, the experience is not even remotely the 'gamer genre x-factor' that you speak of.
#8 Posted by heatDrive88 (2262 posts) -
@Zithe said:
" Maybe, but I hope not. I feel like I'm one of the few who does not see the grand appeal of this game. I listened to Ryan's comments on the Bombcast and I watched the Quick Look, but every time I saw them eat a train of ghosts I just thought, "That's supposed to be exciting?"  Maybe playing it is more satisfying than watching it, but right now I don't see what all the hubbub is about. "
Nostalgia of the original Pac Man aside, it's interesting to see these 3 stages of which Pac Man has been typically been popularized. THe first iteration of Pac Man stands on it's own for it's time, and doesn't need much explanation.

The iteration of Pac Man CE was well-received because it had a more strategic element to the game (you actually have to plan your routes of pellet collection) along with the 'fever rush' visual style which was new and exciting.

I feel Pac Man DX takes CE even further, where it carries the same properties as it's previous iteration but changes a well-established game into a whole different game of creating large chains of ghost trains. The game isn't about picking up every pellet in the stage anymore to advance. It's about strategically picking up ghosts into your train and picking up pellets to spawn more ghosts to get your ghost train to even larger sizes. The part that makes it extremely satisfying (aside from even crazier looking visual and audio flair) is the fact that Namco was able to take an old formula and remake it into something entirely new and even more fun.

Then again, I could be wrong and you're simply not a person who enjoys Pac Man in any shape or form.
#9 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -
@heatDrive88:  I can't say I've ever been a fan. I'm not sure that even matters though considering, as you mentioned, this is a totally different game. 

I'm certainly not saying that it doesn't hold up as a game. Both the original Pac Man and this new DX version seem like perfectly competent games that can be played and enjoyed. I was just confused by the GOTY jokes (were they jokes?) and the orgasmic sounds coming from Brad during the Quick Look when Ryan ate a pellet and "cashed in" his ghost train. That level of enjoyment is where they lose me. I just don't see how this game possibly warrants such praise.
#10 Posted by heatDrive88 (2262 posts) -
@Zithe: Like I've said before in another thread, that over-wrought joy from cleaning up a ghost train is a mixture of various elements:

1. A visual flair that almost looks like it belongs in a Marvel vs. Capcom title or similar Japanese mutli-hit combo.
  2. That wave of nostalgic ghost-eating sounds that rapidly increases in pitch when you eat more and more ghosts, doubled with the incredulously upbeat techno background music.
  3. An internal feeling of pure nostalgia mixed with insanity from eating a gigantic wave of ghosts, when originally it was a single ghost-eating affair.

On a side note, I really should have just written a review. I've written a lot about this game in various threads already today.
#11 Posted by BlaineBlaine (447 posts) -
@heatDrive88 said:
 Not to kill your endorphin rush, but it's the visual attitude and 'fever rush' sort of stylistic flair of insanity that is coupled with the gameplay (and maybe copious amounts of nostalgia) that is causing the draw to this game when you dissect it to the sum of it's own parts. I'm sure most can agree that without the visual flair and thumping beats of the music, the experience is not even remotely the 'gamer genre x-factor' that you speak of. "
Let's make it clear... I never said or intended to say 'genre'.  I was being hyperbolic by implying there is something in the game that fundamentally appeals to people who play video games. Presenting this game to my father will do nothing. The game seems to scratch some very low level itch in a lot of people. 

Your reasoning could very well be exactly why. It fits in with my whole point. I didn't offer any explanation for why it is enthralling - just pointing out they found the formula.
#12 Posted by Evilsbane (4516 posts) -

Yea watching the quicklook and and Ryan got that 72 streak it was like getting a head rush lol sooo satisfying.

#13 Posted by Atlas (2428 posts) -

Boy do I feel like I'm missing out on all of this hype. I was never a Pacman guy, and so the quick look did absolutely nothing for me.

#14 Edited by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
@Zithe said:

" I just don't see how this game possibly warrants such praise. "

@Atlas said:

" Boy do I feel like I'm missing out on all of this hype. I was never a Pacman guy, and so the quick look did absolutely nothing for me. "

I've been a Pac-Man fan since I was a little kid, so there's no denying that some of my love of the game comes from nostalgia. However, I still think you guys should at least give the demo a try. It takes minutes to download, and if you don't feel that rush the rest of us are talking about when you eat your first ghost chain, the game simply isn't for you.  

That said, perhaps one of the best aspects of the game is it's incredibly well-implemented leaderboard support. Every mode has a leaderboard, and it shows up right on the menu when you select it how you're ranked. If chasing after high-scores and trying to beat your friends isn't part of gaming that interests you, then yeah, it won't appeal to you.
#15 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -

Also, I'm kind of interested in everybody's age in this thread. I'm willing to bet the people who don't see the appeal at all are a little younger, so the nostalgia factor just isn't there. Personally, I'm 24, so I missed the first run of Pac-Man, but I still played it in the late-80s/early-90s a lot.

#16 Posted by Bamsen (336 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" I love ramming through dozens of ghosts at a time. So satisfying. "
mmmmm ramming.......
#17 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -
@GilbertMordinAndSullivan:  

I'm 21. I played a bit of Pac Man when I was younger, but even then it was a retro thing to go back to. Not sure you how played it in the late 80s when you were...3-4 years old? But that's not important. I will go give the demo a try, but the nostalgia factor is definitely not there for me. I also doubt many (if any) of my friends are playing Pac Man and would be on the leaderboards. 

I do understand the nostalgia point though, because I am super excited for Donkey Kong Country Returns. I feel like DKC on the SNES was in a much better time frame for me to geek out over now.
#18 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
@Zithe: Yes, I was playing Pac-Man on my friend's Atari when I was 3. Never underestimate the gaming talents of a 3 year old: 

#19 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Actually all of Brad's disgusting orgasms in the Quick Look made me never want to play this game. I would feel dirty touching it. 

Of course if you listen to enough Bombcasts you realize that Brad's reaction to everything is a dramatic groan. Is it really cool? *groan* Does it really suck? *groan* Is it OK but not so great? *groan*

#20 Posted by veXedbulldog (62 posts) -
@BlaineBlaine:  I know it's not *quite* the same, but I get the same feeling rolling up a ton of stuff at once in a Katamari game.
#21 Edited by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Zithe said:

" @heatDrive88:  I can't say I've ever been a fan. I'm not sure that even matters though considering, as you mentioned, this is a totally different game.   I'm certainly not saying that it doesn't hold up as a game. Both the original Pac Man and this new DX version seem like perfectly competent games that can be played and enjoyed. I was just confused by the GOTY jokes (were they jokes?) and the orgasmic sounds coming from Brad during the Quick Look when Ryan ate a pellet and "cashed in" his ghost train. That level of enjoyment is where they lose me. I just don't see how this game possibly warrants such praise. "

no, they weren't joking, really.  Videogames above all other concerns are designed and meant to be fun.  The less elements that a game designer can use to make a really fun experience, the more elegant the game.  Some games need a huge story, giant overworld and 40 hours to be fun. Pac Man CE DX uses  just a scant number of elements to be just as fun, if not more so, than any 50 million dollar Activision Triple-A release.  That is worth recognition.
#22 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" I love ramming dozens of girls at a time. So satisfying. "
#23 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4672 posts) -

I like the game and all but I don't find it near that satisfying.
#24 Edited by BBQBram (2198 posts) -

If you're not enjoying eating ghost trains, you're doing it wrong. Life that is. Your cognitive ability done falter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.