Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pack-In Game

Concept »

Game bundled with gaming hardware (usually a console) in order to boost sales. Most often these games are first party titles, meaning that the hardware and software are products of the same company.

M-rated pack ins

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Both the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 currently have M-rated pack-in games right now (remember when the death of the pack-in was lamented? Well the pack-in is back in baby!) The XBONE has the Master Chief collection and the PS4 has Last of Us Remastered.

I remember back in my childhood when the idea of an M-rated pack-in game would have caused a huge kerfuffle, especially if it were the only option. Can you imagine if the SNES or Genesis had come with Mortal Kombat 2? Yet there has been absolutely no media attention about these M-rated pack-ins. I think this is especially notable for the Last of Us. Halo is a bunch of alien shooting that is pretty close to a Teen rating, but the Last of Us is hardcore M. You can blow people's heads apart in that game, set them on fire, all kinds of stuff.

Nobody seems to care.

Is this because we're over game violence? because the Xbox One and the PS4 are seen as aimed at older teens and young adults rather than young kids? Because nobody has noticed?

Both systems COULD have all ages games packed in. They could license something from the Lego series, or Xbox could pack in a Forza game and PS4 could pack in its MLB title or (blech) Knack. Instead they both go with M-rated games and nobody cares. I find it interesting, especially considering the culture wars of my youth.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By spiceninja

The kids that played those pack-ins on the SNES and Genesis are adults now and they're buying consoles for themselves and the games they're packing in happen to be system sellers and really big titles. Games aren't for just for kids anymore.

Plus, modern consoles have great parental controls and if you buy a PS4 with The Last of Us and you don't want your kid to play it you can keep them from doing so.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Parents nowadays DO NOT CARE. Like really I'm working retail while working on my masters and in the few years I've been here I've had one parent not buy a game due to a rating.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

A lot of parents either don't pay attention or don't care. I can't imagine that all of them buying games for their kids don't know what those games are, but I would guess that some of them somehow still believe that games are for kids and all of them are supposed to be OK.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People are quick to call parents neglectful when they buy their 10 year old Call of Duty. I think that's stupid. I was playing Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City with my dad's encouragement when I was 8 and I still look back on it fondly. It was about on par with anything you'd see in any action movie. It doesn't surprise me that games are being treated like they're for adults and children alike instead of just children nowadays.

The true neglectful parents are the complete fucking idiots that just hand their kid a phone/tablet and let them browse the internet without any supervision. I have a hard time thinking of any mature game that will hold a candle to the legitimately traumatizing stuff a kid will find with a search engine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.