So who picked it up?

#1 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Whats with all of these cool Wii games suddenly coming at the end of the life cycle? So yes who has picked it up and how jealous are the US duders?

#2 Edited by Jeust (10451 posts) -

Well maybe I'll get a Wii then. All this looks promising!

#3 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

I got it yesterday! It's pretty interesting, but I only played about 30mins to an hour so far. I want to finish The Last Story before diving into another RPG.

I'm not entirely sure this game is going to be as strong as The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, but then again, I only got a small taste so far.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10375 posts) -

Sure, we may not have that one game right now, but we ain't jealous. This is America, son!

#5 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

This is the one out of the 3 I am not that interested in to be honest. That said I don't actually know very much about the game itself...

#6 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

I'm playing it. It's fucking great. There is a system in the game where a certain NPC has a curse put on them and you need to return to your "base" every so often to give her flesh to ward the curse away - flesh is loot from enemies. At first I thuoght it would turn out to be annoying, but it makes sense because your inventory fills up about as much as she needs flesh so when you go back to sell some stuff just give her some flesh and it's really a non-issue. In this way it reminds me of Torchlight and Diablo, having to return to town to see what the seller has new and to get rid of / create / stash / upgrade your weapons and items.

Another thing that didn't impress me right off the bat was the combat, however after messing around with the Kette it's really fun. You can hook on to enemies, pulling them to create tension for a ripping attack or you can actually throw them into other enemies or off of walls. There is also a charge attack (kind of like Mega Man) where if timed well you can execute a really powerful 3-hit attack. Also, timing of button presses seems to be more important than in other games and you have to be careful of the direction you slash in because there is no mid-animation direction altering.

I'm also impressed with how disgusting the game is. You watch this girl, who has never eaten meat before bite, into these purple blobs of beating flesh and almost throwing up.

I'm about 6-7 hours in but I'm completely loving it. The fact that I still have over 11 towers left makes me giddy :)

#7 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I'm from Canada and am super jealous right now. Xenoblade didn't do anything for me but Last Story and Pandora's Tower look cool.

@xyzygy said:

I'm also impressed with how disgusting the game is. You watch this girl, who has never eaten meat before bite, into these purple blobs of beating flesh and almost throwing up.
That is the one of the only things I have seen from this game and yeah, it was pretty gross. Also made me more interested though... not sure what that says about me :p
#8 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -

@ZOnikJJ said:

I got it yesterday! It's pretty interesting, but I only played about 30mins to an hour so far. I want to finish The Last Story before diving into another RPG.

I'm not entirely sure this game is going to be as strong as The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, but then again, I only got a small taste so far.

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare Pandora's Tower to those other two games. It's an action game with some RPG elements, not a strict RPG.

That being said, I am really hoping that the game gets released in the U.S.

#9 Edited by GentlemanlyGentleman (319 posts) -

It arrived yesterday but I just started it today. So far I'm enjoying it. Combat was a little odd at first, but I'm getting use to. The constant need to return to base is a little hateful and the moment, reminds of Dead Rising 2 come to think of it. Story is fine so far but I can't help but feel like it's panning out exactly like another game.

Spoilers in case I'm actually correct about this. (Nigh impossible)

Of course this is obviously complete speculation on my part after just 2 and a half hours of play time. I couldn't help but notice the similarities.
#10 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ZOnikJJ said:

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare Pandora's Tower to those other two games. It's an action game with some RPG elements, not a strict RPG.

It's defintely not as much of an in-depth RPG as Xenoblade, but it plays like a 2D Castlevania game (SOTN, AOS, DOS, etc) in 3D and has slightly more or the same amount of RPG elements than those games so I'd say it lies right in the middle of those two genres.

@SuperWristBands said:

@xyzygy said:
That is the one of the only things I have seen from this game and yeah, it was pretty gross. Also made me more interested though... not sure what that says about me :p

Oh trust me, I think it's pretty great too. It just adds to the storytelling and helps create an atmosphere, very cool.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZOnikJJ said:

It's defintely not as much of an in-depth RPG as Xenoblade, but it plays like a 2D Castlevania game (SOTN, AOS, DOS, etc) in 3D and has slightly more or the same amount of RPG elements than those games so I'd say it lies right in the middle of those two genres.

Ah. That's cool.

Have you been playing using the Wii Remote controls or a Classic Controller?

#12 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

@Hailinel: I'm playing with a wii remote and it's not bad at all. It's pretty intuitive, and the controls aren't that complex so it works. To be honest I don't know how you would play this with a classic controller because your chain needs to be aimed at certain things that are unreachable, like items hidden in the wall or little hangy things you can swing off of. There must be some sort of built in aiming function when you're using the classic controller, but it seems to me like that would really get in the way with chain combat.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@Hailinel: I'm playing with a wii remote and it's not bad at all. It's pretty intuitive, and the controls aren't that complex so it works. To be honest I don't know how you would play this with a classic controller because your chain needs to be aimed at certain things that are unreachable, like items hidden in the wall or little hangy things you can swing off of. There must be some sort of built in aiming function when you're using the classic controller, but it seems to me like that would really get in the way with chain combat.

That's great to hear. Then again, it figures that if any game is going to do motion controls on the Wii right, it's going to be one published by Nintendo.

#14 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

I am now on my 6th tower and the game gets pretty brutal. The boss fights are clever and they remind me of a very slow paced Zelda with less reliance on items and more about evasion and the environment. All the bosses (so far) cannot be hurt by your weapons, only the chain. You need to pull and pull at certain parts of them while avoiding their attacks, some of which can actually engulf whole traversable areas, forcing you to let go of the chain and take refuge in whatever form.

Some enemies can automatically break your weapons after even one hit so it's important to dodge in this game. I have an item equipped that lessens breakage in half but it still happens often.

The last boss I fought was neat. Instead of doing any attacking at all (even with the chain), you had to go on the defense and wait for him to overheat from his barrage of attacks all while dodging. His attacks get very fast and the time between each attack is lessened. Then you take advantage of his exhaustion.

This is a really great game people. If you are a fan of Castlevania at all you need to play this!!!

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -

@xyzygy: Hearing all of this makes me sad that the game didn't receive more press when everyone was busy talking about Xenoblade and The Last Story.

#16 Posted by DeF (4777 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@xyzygy: Hearing all of this makes me sad that the game didn't receive more press when everyone was busy talking about Xenoblade and The Last Story.

yea it's sad how interesting games like this are overlooked in favor of the boring old stuff over and over again.

PT doesn't have any pedigree behind it so it's understandable from that point.

Anyway, just got my copy today and I'm psyched to finally try it out later. Still not done with Xenoblade and I've put off playing The Last Story for now but I finally wanna play one of those games when they're still "fresh" :)

#17 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

I have no opinion on the game but the cover art for each of these three games has been amazing!

#18 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Hailinel said:

yea it's sad how interesting games like this are overlooked in favor of the boring old stuff over and over again.

Anyway, just got my copy today and I'm psyched to finally try it out later. Still not done with Xenoblade and I've put off playing The Last Story for now but I finally wanna play one of those games when they're still "fresh" :)

Not to mention that Ganbarion, the developer behind the game, is basically unheard of. They made a lot of Japanese-only DS titles, and Nintendo was so impressed with their work that they let them develop their own, new IP. That's where Pandora's Tower comes from. If Nintendo thinks a studio is good enough to give them publishing rights and the freedom to create a new IP I'd say that that SHOULD be enough to warrant attention on this game, let alone the excellent quality of the game itself.

#19 Posted by DeF (4777 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@DeF said:

@Hailinel said:

Not to mention that Ganbarion, the developer behind the game, is basically unheard of. They made a lot of Japanese-only DS titles, and Nintendo was so impressed with their work that they let them develop their own, new IP. That's where Pandora's Tower comes from. If Nintendo thinks a studio is good enough to give them publishing rights and the freedom to create a new IP I'd say that that SHOULD be enough to warrant attention on this game, let alone the excellent quality of the game itself.

but that's exactly the problem. the press is mostly just like any random mainstream gamer: "never heard of X? don't care"

plus, if a game doesn't get announced for the US, hardly anyone over there will cover it except for specialized blogs or fan sites (which makes sense to a degree). it being a Wii game with typical Japanese character design and the words RPG associated with it doesn't help a lot either.

it really is a shame...

#20 Posted by ElNeebre (90 posts) -

Really thinking of picking up a new Wii to play these new RPG's that are out.

#21 Posted by Bocam (3668 posts) -

This came out? I had no idea.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -
@Bocam

This came out? I had no idea.

It was released in Europe just this past Friday.
#23 Edited by DeF (4777 posts) -

@ElNeebre said:

there's also the Wii-edition of Fatal Frame 2 coming this summer! (at least in Europe/Japan ..not sure about a US announcement)

#24 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -
@DeF

@ElNeebre said:

there's also the Wii-edition of Fatal Frame 2 coming this summer! (at least in Europe/Japan ..not sure about a US announcement)

And I'm sure that NOA will hear complaints if it doesn't.
#25 Posted by ElNeebre (90 posts) -

@DeF: WAIT WHAT Fatal Frame 2!?

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -

@ElNeebre said:

Yep. The Wii is getting a remake of Fatal Frame II.

I don't know what sort of magic juju that Nintendo pulled with Tecmo, but somehow, they've gotten the exclusive rights to the Fatal Frame series since Fatal Frame IV, and have served as the series publisher in Japan.

#27 Posted by DeF (4777 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ElNeebre said:

I don't know what sort of magic juju that Nintendo pulled with Tecmo, but somehow, they've gotten the exclusive rights to the Fatal Frame series since Fatal Frame IV, and have served as the series publisher in Japan.

that whole situation is so incredibly weird. not bringing Fatal Frame IV that was created from the ground up for Wii anywhere outside of Japan and then they do an updated port of Fatal Frame 2 4 years after IV and throw that out to Europe?!

They must be all about the mushrooms up in Iwata's castle...

#28 Posted by Hailinel (23685 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Hailinel said:

@ElNeebre said:

that whole situation is so incredibly weird. not bringing Fatal Frame IV that was created from the ground up for Wii anywhere outside of Japan and then they do an updated port of Fatal Frame 2 4 years after IV and throw that out to Europe?!

It's not Nintendo's Japan offices that are at fault here. It's NOA for derping and derping hard when it's come to multiple interesting titles this past generation. Fatal Frame IV, Xenoblade, The Last Story, the second DS Fire Emblem game, hell, we never even got Disaster: Day of Crisis over here.

But Mario Party 9? Oh, sure. Why not?

#29 Posted by DeF (4777 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@DeF said:

@Hailinel said:

@ElNeebre said:

It's not Nintendo's Japan offices that are at fault here. It's NOA for derping and derping hard when it's come to multiple interesting titles this past generation. Fatal Frame IV, Xenoblade, The Last Story, the second DS Fire Emblem game, hell, we never even got Disaster: Day of Crisis over here.

But Mario Party 9? Oh, sure. Why not?

Whenever I wrote to Nintendo (Europe), clamoring for Xenoblade localization and whatnot, they always replied with something along the lines of "these kinds of decisions are made by our head honchos in Japan." So I actually do think it's NCL's "fault" for looking at whatever market research data they have and making decisions based on that. But I'm sure that if a regional division felt strongly about a certain title and pushed hard, they could have influence over the outcome... So ultimately, they're all evil :D (but in a nice, Nintendo way^^)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.