U.S. release confirmed by XSEED Games!

• 58 results
#1 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

The original thread (which contained a profane title) seems to have been deleted, so here we go again:

Pandora's Tower, the third and final game involved in the Operation Rainfall campaign, has been announced for a North American release by XSEED Games this spring. I guess they must have been emboldened by The Last Story's release, which turned out to be the publisher's most successful game to date. (And a link.)

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

Coolbeans

#3 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

I heard it sucked, will probably get it anyway.

#4 Posted by FakeKisser (324 posts) -

I'm not sure I'll get this one. I got The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, but Pandora's Tower doesn't appeal to me (based on reviews I've read).

#5 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

I heard it sucked, will probably get it anyway.

Being the weakest beside two absolutely stellar games does not really mean the game sucks.

@Hailinel: My thread title was very appropriate (Dexter reference^^) ... I was even more surprised that you couldn't curse in thread titles than that this game is actually coming to the US. :D

#6 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

@DeF said:

Being the weakest beside two absolutely stellar games does not really mean the game sucks.

@Hailinel: My thread title was very appropriate (Dexter reference^^) ... I was even more surprised that you couldn't curse in thread titles than that this game is actually coming to the US. :D

It was more like one stellar game and one alright game, but sure.

#7 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

@DeF said:

It was more like one stellar game and one alright game, but sure.

Strongly disagreeing over here :) The Last Story is way way way way more than just "alright."

#8 Posted by mwng (931 posts) -

I'll trade you my copy for Persona 4 Arena.

I'm still a little confused why Nintendo Europe decided to publish it, but Nintendo of America didn't.

#9 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Woah, what!? This came out of nowhere. Turns out 2013's gonna be more crowded than I initially imagined.

Also, any idea on when it'll be available for pre-order or pre-purchase or whatever? I know it's a bit much to expect it on GameStop.com right now, but I'd still like to know when I can order the damn thing.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@mwng said:

I'll trade you my copy for Persona 4 Arena. I'm still a little confused why Nintendo Europe decided to publish it, but Nintendo of America didn't.

Nintendo of America had a very strange Wii release policy. There were a number of first and second-party titles they released in Japan and Europe that NOA didn't want anything to do with.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

Surprise motherfucker!

#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

Oh XseeD, you continue to give me reasons to love you <3

#13 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2361 posts) -

Meh.

#14 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

Wow, that's a nice surprise...

BUT WHERE THE FUCK IS T.I.T.S 2, XSEED!?!

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@oldenglishC said:

BUT WHERE THE FUCK IS T.I.T.S 2, XSEED!?!

What was TITS 1 in the first place?

#16 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3199 posts) -

Gotta wonder if this game will be a Wii release or a WiiU release kinda like what the wii did with pikmin and pikmin 2.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Gotta wonder if this game will be a Wii release or a WiiU release kinda like what the wii did with pikmin and pikmin 2.

The game will be a Wii release.

#18 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

what is this strange japanese creation visiting the page of which made me confused and uncomfortable?

#19 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Xenoblade was not for me

Last Story I found to be dull and repetitive

This one I'm not too sure about.

#20 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@oldenglishC:

The strange thing is that it came to me right after I posted that. I left it up because I've never played a Legend of Heroes game ever.

#22 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@oldenglishC:

The strange thing is that it came to me right after I posted that. I left it up because I've never played a Legend of Heroes game ever.

I can't recommend it enough, it's required playing for anyone that likes a good RPG. You'd dig it.

#23 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

That was Nintendo doing extra development and enhancing old games. This is an outside publisher picking up a localization that is already completed and just putting the boxes on shelves. There is literally no way this will be anything other than the exact same thing that came out in Europe.

@JackSukeru said:

Surprise motherfucker!

Really? Are you posthumously mocking my deleted original thread about the news which had those exact words in the title which is apparently against the rules? :D

#24 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

@DeF: I wouldn't call it mocking, but yes.

#25 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

Well, as far as the campaign went, that's three games for three.

#26 Posted by Slag (4244 posts) -

That's awesome!

#27 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

Really? Finally! :D

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

Well, I've got no idea what this is, but I dig the box art.

The screenshots actually remind me of Xenoblade, which I really wanted to get into, but just couldn't. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go back to it one day, which is keeping me from flipping the copy on eBay for like $70.

#29 Posted by GalacticPunt (1042 posts) -

So Operation Rainfall was a complete success? At ease, soldiers!

@JackSukeru said:

Surprise motherfucker!

#30 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

The screenshots actually remind me of Xenoblade, which I really wanted to get into, but just couldn't. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go back to it one day, which is keeping me from flipping the copy on eBay for like $70.

$70? Gamestop should have them in stock for $50 new.

#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

@TooWalrus said:

I'm not making this up- there's not a copy on ebay for under $70

#32 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

@DeF: I wouldn't call it mocking, but yes.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! (doesn't make sense but I couldn't think of anything clever to say)

I'll leave this exchange with this:

#33 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

@TooWalrus said:

I'm not sure there are any in stock anymore. Gamestop's online store didn't have any when a conversation led me to look it up a few weeks ago.

#34 Edited by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Ducksworth said:

@TooWalrus said:

If it's a game you're really interested in playing, there's a Gamestop near my house (multiple Gamestops near my house actually) that have the game for $50. I would be happy to go grab a copy and ship it off to you if you'd be willing to pay the $50 and don't mind slow/cheap shipping.

Edit: Should also mention that since it's Gamestop you may get their definition of new i.e. opened.

Edit2: I didn't realize the game was selling for so much already. Maybe I should stockpile a few copies...

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

Well, it's nice to see that Operation Rainfall was some sort of success.

#36 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Well, it's nice to see that Operation Rainfall was some sort of success.

It's going to serve as a barometer for future fan campaigns, both in terms of success, and the level of ubiquity and annoyance.

#37 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

It seems crazy to release it now that the Wii is so off of most people's minds, but I guess they always only ever expected this game to sell to the sort of informed people who read gaming news anyway, since console JRPGs are no longer the new hotness that they were in the PS1 and PS2 era.

#38 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1683 posts) -

Well, color me surprised! That's awesome. I thought The Last Story was going to be the last big (for some value of 'big') Wii game, but it looks like we have one more to look forward to.

#39 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@BisonHero: I don't think it's that crazy. The Wiis didn't disappear, people still have them. Or if they upgraded to a Wii U even, they can still play Wii games so technically, there's nothing stopping those interested to buy the game. They know their audience is small. I think it would've been crazier had Nintendo brought the game over themselves and put a lot of marketing out there. That would come off as weird to me.

Anyway, I think it's great that those three games eventually made it to store shelves in all territories. I think they all deserve to be played.

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Ducksworth said:

@TooWalrus said:

If it's a game you're really interested in playing, there's a Gamestop near my house (multiple Gamestops near my house actually) that have the game for $50. I would be happy to go grab a copy and ship it off to you if you'd be willing to pay the $50 and don't mind slow/cheap shipping.

Edit: Should also mention that since it's Gamestop you may get their definition of new i.e. opened.

Edit2: I didn't realize the game was selling for so much already. Maybe I should stockpile a few copies...

I... think you may have misread my post. I have a copy of Xenoblade, but don't really like the game.

#41 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I... think you may have misread my post. I have a copy of Xenoblade, but don't really like the game.

Ah, seems I did. Sorry about that! On the plus side it brought the ebay inflation to my attention.

To add something relevant to the topic, where's the hype? With all the noise operation rainfall made I would have thought this would get more attention.

#42 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

I totally didn't see that coming. All the pieces of the Triforce are finally together.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Dalai said:

I totally didn't see that coming. All the pieces of the Triforce are finally together.

#44 Posted by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

This game was pretty good. It really succeeded in being completely disgusting and kind of morbidly obsessed with grotesqueries, but man, did I ever love the Castlevania style of it.

#45 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

Xenoblade was amazing but Last Story just felt broken and tedious. I'm not sure if I will get this.

#46 Posted by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Dalai said:

...God Damn I love Windwaker.

#47 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

To add something relevant to the topic, where's the hype? With all the noise operation rainfall made I would have thought this would get more attention.

Hype? It's not like the game received nearly as much praise anywhere as Xenoblade or The Last Story did. Plus, GiantBomb didn't even deem it newsworthy and the community doesn't really care about Japanese Action Adventure/RPGs or Wii games so ...what do you expect? :D

#48 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@Ducksworth

@TooWalrus said:

Ah, seems I did. Sorry about that! On the plus side it brought the ebay inflation to my attention.

Pandora's Tower is a game developed by a third-party whose catalogue is mostly based on licensed properties. The game was released in Japan a couple of months prior to E3 2011, when the campaign sparked, and the game was still fresh in mind. However, while PT was always sort of an also-ran in the campaign with most people interested for either Xenoblade or TLS, there has always been a smaller group if people interested in seeing it localized because it's so unlike most games that appeared on the platform. It was never going to get much hype, and the chances of anyone publishing it in North America were increasingly remote, so for XSEED to step in again is a pleasant surprise.
#49 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

Amazon has started taking preorders for the game. Of interest, it's only $40, and the release date (which is likely just a placeholder for now) states March 26th.

#50 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Amazon has started taking preorders for the game.

Where? I'm searching around, but only get PAL imports and such.

Here. Couldn't find it because it doesn't make itself well known (I'm identifying largely by box art).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.