If you are foaming at the mouth for this game

#1 Posted by Generic_username (611 posts) -

please share with me. My love of Paper Mario knows no bounds, and I just want to find some other people who share my feelings. Also, It'd be cool if you posted your favorite moments from the previous games, too. I personally loved Glitzville from TTYD so much. It was such a cool part of the game. Trying to discover the mysteries of the place, while also being given reasons to laugh your ass off constantly was so awesome.

#2 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

Heck yeah! Here's a new trailer from TGS, in case people haven't seen it yet:

The original Paper Mario is one of my favourite games of all time, and I loved TTYD as well, so needless to say I'm very much looking forward to the new one.

One of the things I like is how the games give new, mostly non-hostile roles to what are usually considered enemies in the main Mario games. One of my favourite moments is finding Raphael the Raven (a boss from Yoshi's Island) and his posse in the jungle. I won't spoil what they do for those who haven't played the game, but it's pretty neat.

I also really liked Starborn Valley. I think the entire chapter surrounding it is one of the best of the whole series, but this place really shines (ha!) as a warm, pleasant little town in an otherwise (literally) cold environment.

#3 Edited by Generic_username (611 posts) -

Yeah, the first Paper Mario was so good too. I really like Shy Guy's Toybox, too haha.

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I love the Paper Mario games, except for the Wii game. I just prefer the gameplay from the other games. The 3DS game trailer is what sold me on the 3DS. I want that now!

#5 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

This will be the best 3DS game out there when it releases.

#6 Posted by Generic_username (611 posts) -

I thought the Wii game was okay for what it was, and the writing in it was just as good as it was in the previous games, but it just didn't grab me as much as the previous games did, and constantly having to go in and out of that menu to switch characters and partners was way worse in super paper mario than it was in the others. Not only that, but the gameplay just got pretty tedious after a while.

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I have rabies for this game.

#8 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

i never really understood what was so great about paper. i mean paper is ok but to base a game on just paper always seemed a bit silly to me. like basing a game on concrete

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Its a great series, I enjoyed the Cube version a lot.
So many little references and jokes...especially poor Luigi!

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

I bought Mario RPG on the VC and played it for a little bit, I was really surprised by how well the writing and mechanics had held up, especially since I've always thought it looked really ugly.

My first experience with the Mario rpg's was the Mario & Luigi game and I loved that, but was still cautios when I approached The Thousand Year Door. As it turned out, my worries were completely unfounded, and to this day it remains my favorite of the games. Having since played the rest of the M&L games as well as Super Paper Mario, the latter of which was a disappointment compared to TTYD and not all that fun in general, I am pretty stoked to see the series return to form with this coming game.

My favorite part of TTYD was when, after fighting the shadow sirens and seeing the other sisters bully Vivian, thinking: "Man that sucks, I wish she would just dump those jerks and join my party instead" and then it happened! At first I thought her teaming up with mario would be a temporary set piece so I was pretty sad when it was over, but then she joined for good! I was giddy!

Pretty funny learning some time later that she was a dude in the Japanese version. Ended up using her a lot through the rest of the game, well, except when I was using Goombella. Those enemy descriptions were well worth the turn it took to use and switch out.

What a great game.

#11 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

I really loved the RPG ones, I had a falling out with the action/platformer one though :(

#12 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Its a great series, I enjoyed the Cube version a lot. So many little references and jokes...especially poor Luigi!

Im still bummed that Paper Luigi never became a thing.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Its a great series, I enjoyed the Cube version a lot. So many little references and jokes...especially poor Luigi!

Im still bummed that Paper Luigi never became a thing.

Yeah, somehow I've always seen Luigi as the silent smart guy, perfect for this kinda text heavy stuff and puzzles I guess.
#14 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I just wanted to play the game he was going through in parallel with Thousand Year Door, where he's constantly screwing over his companions.

#15 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I can't wait for this game, Paper Mario, TTYD, and yes even Super Paper Mario are probably 3 of my favorite games of all time. I have had more fun playing those titles then most gaming I have done in 10 years. When I heard that Paper Mario was heading to the 3DS, all my woes of the purchase vanished.

#16 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

I might have been excited, if Super Paper Mario wasn't such a huge disappointment. Hopefully this one lives up the previous games more.

#17 Posted by Generic_username (611 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

I just wanted to play the game he was going through in parallel with Thousand Year Door, where he's constantly screwing over his companions.

YES. That was such a great part. They should make it into a short game or something, and sell it on the E-shop. There are only 4 games that are out that were designed for the 3DS specifically so far. And two of them are 3D classics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.