They showed some new live footage at the special 3DS conference.
- Stickers are everything now. You not only use them in battle but for environmental purposes as well. They seem to be single use, which makes me wonder what happens if you enter battle without any.
- Action battle system from the first two games is back and practically the same (hit button just before impact for the best effect).
- "Real world" objects can be collected and turned into stickers to then use again in the Paper Mario world.
- You no longer gain experience points from battles. Leveling up is done through puzzle solving and discoveries.
- Still apparently no partners. Attacking multiple times per turn is done through use of a slot machine which determines how many times you get to attack (up to a maximum of three, it seems).
The crown character, Kersti, seems to fulfill a role similar to Tippi from Super Paper Mario, in that it's apparently always with Mario and helps with the '3D gimmicks', which in this game means turning the world flat and sticking stickers on it.
Game's supposed to be out by the end of the year. I'm still very much looking forward to it, though I'm not too fond of the apparent one-time use of the stickers and the lack of partners and experience points.