Paper Mario: Sticker Star Gameplay from the 3DS Software Showcase

#1 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

They showed some new live footage at the special 3DS conference.

• Stickers are everything now. You not only use them in battle but for environmental purposes as well. They seem to be single use, which makes me wonder what happens if you enter battle without any.
  • Action battle system from the first two games is back and practically the same (hit button just before impact for the best effect).
  • "Real world" objects can be collected and turned into stickers to then use again in the Paper Mario world.
  • You no longer gain experience points from battles. Leveling up is done through puzzle solving and discoveries.
  • Still apparently no partners. Attacking multiple times per turn is done through use of a slot machine which determines how many times you get to attack (up to a maximum of three, it seems).

The crown character, Kersti, seems to fulfill a role similar to Tippi from Super Paper Mario, in that it's apparently always with Mario and helps with the '3D gimmicks', which in this game means turning the world flat and sticking stickers on it.

Get it? 'Sti-ker'. Hah.

Game's supposed to be out by the end of the year. I'm still very much looking forward to it, though I'm not too fond of the apparent one-time use of the stickers and the lack of partners and experience points.

#2 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

The experience points thing is a huuuuuge bummer.

#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I was super disappointed to finally see this. I was looking forward to finally see a sequel to Thousand Year Door, but instead it looks more similar to Super Paper Mario, which wasn't a good game.

Other than the turn based battle system, I don't even see how this is an RPG.

#4 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

I think the stickers limited uses and not one time use. I remember seeing the "jump" sticker slightly peeling off, and then completely falling off after a few uses. They seem to be plentiful so it probably won't be a huge issue but I would guess there's a default "infinite" sticker or some sort of "sticker book" that you can use to restock sort of like in Mega Man Battle Network. The game itself looks great, but I'm not sure if I'll check it out.

#5 Posted by TheMasterDS (2022 posts) -

Everything about what they said was a huge bummer. I'll still buy it because I can't not buy and finish a Paper Mario game but Jesus. I don't reckon it can be as abysmal as SPM, but it doesn't sound anywhere as good as Thousand Year Door or the Original.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I don't get why they feel the need to fuck around so much with Paper Mario when they're all too content to release other Mario titles that are practically the same, at their core, as the numerous previous games in the same franchise.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

No Exp. through battles sucks hard.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

A lot of hate in this thread, I personally thought it looked quite good and can't wait to have a reason to play on my 3DS

#9 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

I thought it looked great. I think the idea they were selling of the game in 3D looking like a diorama inside your 3DS sounded cool enough.. and.. well I like the stickers. I can't articulate why, just.. in a very real way, I do.

#10 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

A little more footage to drool over...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.