Why can't they just do Paper Mario: TTYD, but better?

• 98 results
#51 Edited by Snail (8604 posts) -

The game looks good. The whole package sounds like a "lighter" take on the franchise, which is cool by me. If you don't try to look for some aspects you cherished so much in the previous installments that are now missing you might enjoy the game more - that's probably an odd approach to adopt when playing a new installment in a long-lasting series, but it's also probably the most adequate one for this game. To clarify: TTYD is one of my favorite GameCube games, that game is BLAZING AWESOME and I am pretty negatively surprised about the lack of some set-in-stone staple elements such a party system, but maybe this sort of change will provide a welcomed different take on this franchise. Controlling Paper Mario traversing solo through that adorable handcraft-looking universe still sounds like an enjoyable thing to do. To give you another example, the lack of leveling up had me a bit worried until I realized that doesn't bother me in other Mario games, and those are still fun - I don't think the franchise feels significantly less unique because of this.

I agree: why can't they just let it be? Maybe they felt there wasn't much to add to the formula, and that any sequels would either be stagnant or have gimmicky additions to them? In any caseI don't see why you'd be worried about this game. It won't be anywhere near as good as TTYD, but it won't be anywhere near "not-good" either. To be worried about this stuff is kind of understandable, but also kinda silly. Game looks adorable. So cute. I want it.

It's been pretty well-received by the press so far, as well.

#52 Edited by ninkendo (107 posts) -

No Mario RPG will ever be as good as TTYD was. Unrealistic expectations!

#53 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@ninkendo said:

No Mario RPG will ever be as good as TTYD was. Unrealistic expectations!

What about Super Mario RPG for the SNES?

#54 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

@Snail said:

but maybe this sort of change will provide a welcomed different take on this franchise.

But didn't they try to make a significant change with Super Paper Mario? I thought that, maybe because of that, this game would be much more like the two first ones than how it turned out. Then again, it's a Paper Mario game so I'll be getting it whenever I get a 3DS and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but because of how it turned out it's not a system seller as it could have been for me and I'm sad that, like the thread title suggests, this isn't an improved TTYD. I don't think such a feat is impossible if that's what their intentions were.

#55 Posted by MVP1101 (209 posts) -

Should i buy TTYD for 25 bucks? I liked the Mario RPGs on the GBA and DS.

#56 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: I thought you were the proud owner of a pearl pink 3DS?
#57 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@FluxWaveZ: I thought you were the proud owner of a pearl pink 3DS?

I was! ...Until I sold it. Hey, I would have kept it, but then I decided that putting the money towards getting a 3DS XL would be much better, so that's what I'm going to do. Though, it's proving hard to convince myself to get an XL just yet without any titles I desperately want.

#58 Edited by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@MVP1101 said:

People will tell you Super Mario RPG for SNES is the best Mario RPG. They are wrong... Thousand Year Door is everything the original was but 100x. The writing and humor is genius. Get it and enjoy it.

#59 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: I know... my 3DS has been gathering dust lately (well, mostly, I played Liberation Maiden last week). I was considering selling it for a Vita, but I know I'll want it back for Luigi's Mansion next year...
#60 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

@MVP1101 said:

Yes. Yes you should. That game is awesome. Play it.

#61 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

@MVP1101 said:

It's a little different from those games, like how it isn't focused on dodging damage but rather on blocking and mitigating it, but it's mostly fun in the same ways. So yeah you should try it.

#62 Posted by Hailinel (24723 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Snail said:

but maybe this sort of change will provide a welcomed different take on this franchise.

But didn't they try to make a significant change with Super Paper Mario? I thought that, maybe because of that, this game would be much more like the two first ones than how it turned out. Then again, it's a Paper Mario game so I'll be getting it whenever I get a 3DS and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but because of how it turned out it's not a system seller as it could have been for me and I'm sad that, like the thread title suggests, this isn't an improved TTYD. I don't think such a feat is impossible if that's what their intentions were.

Super Paper Mario was more platformer than RPG. At this point, "Paper Mario" isn't purely about RPGs, it's about the paper aesthetic. What sort of gameplay provides the backbone varies from game to game.

Despite what you seem to believe (or at least, want to believe), Sticker Star is getting positive press, and people are enjoying it.

#63 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Snail said:

Super Paper Mario was more platformer than RPG. At this point, "Paper Mario" isn't purely about RPGs, it's about the paper aesthetic. What sort of gameplay provides the backbone varies from game to game.

Despite what you seem to believe (or at least, want to believe), Sticker Star is getting positive press, and people are enjoying it.

Well if you read the reviews it certainly doesn't sound like it's up there with TTYD.

#64 Posted by Hailinel (24723 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Snail said:

Well if you read the reviews it certainly doesn't sound like it's up there with TTYD.

I'm not saying it is. Only that it's getting positive press. Whether or not it lives up to the exceeding expectations of TTYD fanatics is another matter.

#65 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Complains on Giantbomb because COD is the same gameplay from 5 games ago.

then complains in a thread on Giantbomb because Nintendo changed the gameplay in Paper Mario, the 4th Paper Mario.

#66 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

This is so weird and infuriating. Its not like those did poorly or were reviewed poorly. They always seemed universally loved. I was so close to buying a 3DS but now I might just wait.

#67 Posted by Hailinel (24723 posts) -

@Metric_Outlaw said:

This is so weird and infuriating. Its not like those did poorly or were reviewed poorly. They always seemed universally loved. I was so close to buying a 3DS but now I might just wait.

Why is it weird and infuriating?

#68 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

then complains in a thread on Giantbomb because Nintendo changed the gameplay in Paper Mario, the 4th Paper Mario.

Are you referring to me? If so, please tell me when I've complained about the similar gameplay of Call of Duty games.

@Metric_Outlaw said:

Yeah, but maybe the sales of TTYD didn't meet their expectations so they decided to design future games in the series for a wider audience? That's just speculation, though.

#69 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1665 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Only the first two Paper Mario games played similarly, and that second one came out eight years ago. Nice try.

#70 Posted by Hailinel (24723 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@Dagbiker said:

Only the first two Paper Mario games played similarly, and that second one came out eight years ago. Nice try.

The point still holds merit. As much crap as other franchises get for not changing things up, it's silly to give Nintendo crap for not making a Paper Mario exactly like the old ones.

#71 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

Yeah after watching the quick look I'll probably just throw in TTYD and play that again.

#72 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

@triple07 said:

Yeah after watching the quick look I'll probably just throw in TTYD and play that again.

Oh man, I'd be much more excited if they rereleased TTYD for the 3DS platform.

#73 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1665 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@Dagbiker said:

The point still holds merit. As much crap as other franchises get for not changing things up, it's silly to give Nintendo crap for not making a Paper Mario exactly like the old ones.

I can respect that part of it, but I found Super Paper Mario pretty disappointing, and though I haven't played it yet, the new systems in this new one just don't sound very fun to me. If they can't make a new kind of game that lives up to those first two, I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to that well.

#74 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

How many modern military shooters can I buy this year that are pretty much just trying to up the ante from the previous years shooter? How many rpgs with lots of charm and an interesting paper craft art style can I play this year?

I kind of think complaining about the two is in no way comparable. Call of Duty does make changes but they don't feel that different. Part of that is probably because most people don't really get invested with the characters in the campaign and everything in the multiplayer is so formulaic it is not really exciting. Also this console generation we have had 8 Call of Duty games that have appeared on the current gen consoles, every year since 2005. This isn't including handheld and PS2/wii spinoff versions for these games.

The thing to point out is that the Paper Mario game have been spread out over like 11 years across 4 consoles. If you made a paper mario game with the same mechanics as TTYD you could still make up for it with the story and charm, with Call of Duty they aren't really that effective at that. The thing is half the mario games do not even resemble the other half in terms of mechanics.

#75 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Metric_Outlaw said:

Its weird and infuriating that they aren't making a sequel to such a beloved and great game.

#76 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

My guess is that TTYD was substantially more expensive to produce.

#77 Edited by Hailinel (24723 posts) -

@Metric_Outlaw said:

@Hailinel said:

@Metric_Outlaw said:

Its weird and infuriating that they aren't making a sequel to such a beloved and great game.

Technically, it is a sequel. It just doesn't play exactly like the old games.

But I'm willing to bet that, if Sticker Star were another TTYD, everyone clamoring for another TTYD in this thread would just start bitching about how it's another TTYD and why can't we have something different.

#78 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

BECAUSE TTYD IS ALREADY TOO GOOD!

Seriously though, I remember they guys talking on their SNES live stream about why Nintendo doesn't just make another 2D metroid, and it's because that game already exists, and it's basically perfect. So, just go play that game. If you want to play TTYD again, then just go play it. It's always there. Plus, there are 3 awesome Mario RPGs on the DS.

#79 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ No. I was not referring to you. I was speaking in general.
#80 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

My concerns are the sticker gimmicks. It doesn't seem something I would get into. Also I hope that partner are in the game! I enjoyed in TTYD collecting all my new members of the team.

#81 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

it just seems like they stripped 90% of the interesting systems out of these games.

#82 Posted by Hungry (165 posts) -

@Hailinel:

No. The problem isn't that Sticker Star isn't exactly like The Thousand Year Door. The problem with Sticker Star (and Super Paper Mario) is that it isn't anything like the first two games at all. Honestly the Sticker mechanic I thought could have been cool (like a really interesting way to replace the attacks and the badges in a trading card game sort of way) but instead of making it an interesting mechanic in the RPG scope, it is the only thing about the combat to such an extent that it seems like there is no reason to fight non-required battles. People use The Thousand Year Door as an example because that was the last Paper Mario game we got that was like an RPG, but it also happened to be goddamn amazing in every other way too.

To use a great comparison as to how a game can be alike but still different, compare Metroid Prime to the base Metroid games. Sure Metroid Prime is in a completely different perspective and is 3D and all that crazy shit, but it is still about backtracking and exploring and shooting shit and curling up into a Morph Ball with all of the cool upgrades you find. The newer Paper Mario games get the charm of the Paper Mario games right (maybe not Sticker Star, but Super Paper Mario was still charming as hell), but it completely misses what made the core gameplay of the original Paper Mario fun, in which The Thousand Year Door iterated and expanded on without changing the core fundamentals. Super Paper Mario completely changed the fundamentals (unlike Metroid Prime to Metroid) and Sticker Star tried to go back to basics, but the only thing about the core gameplay they kept was turn-based combat and timed hits, and removed all of the complexity. The complexity didn't have to be THE SAME as The Thousand Year Door (the crowd pleasing stuff and all the partner dynamics and the perfect guard and the badges) but it should have either expanded on the Sticker system or added something to it.

#83 Posted by Hailinel (24723 posts) -

A link to a developer interview, fro those interested in understanding the reasoning behind the design decisions made.

#84 Posted by Hungry (165 posts) -

So basically they completely changed the IP because they wanted to try and make it different, even though it was already pretty different from every other Mario game that isn't Super Mario RPG or Mario and Luigi? Why didn't they just make a new IP or make it a spinoff series? I also think making the world level-based so it is easy to know what you were doing is a pretty lazy way to do that. There are plenty of RPGs that have found ways to make sure you always knew what you were doing, even if you haven't played for a long time.

I am fine with them changing the combat mechanics around but I feel like stickers by themselves in what they presented are too shallow to be interesting.

#85 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

The fact is that it doesn't even REALLY seem like they're changing too much about it with Sticker Star, just stripping away features. Super Paper Mario was at least different in that it was a weird sort of platformer/rpg thing. Sticker Star is retaining RPG combat except without any incentive to actually engage in said combat. Couple that with the removal of an open interconnected world and the colourful partners and it just makes for a stripped down game that doesn't seem to accomplish much new.

In truth, this is probably going to lead to me replaying TTYD.

#86 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

If it was what you wanted: You might buy it. A more casual person won't buy it.

If it was what a more casual person might want in the skin of something you wanted: You might buy it. They might buy it.

That doesn't mean the game has to be bad, just different. That's kind of the problem though. You like games, you might be open to different in a franchise you like -- which gives them carte blanche to focus on a different audience that might not be so open to what you like.

#87 Posted by MVP1101 (209 posts) -

@Snail: @msavo: @JackSukeru: Thanks for the advice. Just got a copy of it, hope you guys are right.

#88 Posted by liako21 (521 posts) -

maybe they are trying to create a divide between paper mario and mario rpg type games. I could go for another mario and luigi game. bowsers inside story was pretty good. (even though i nearly lost interest after about 20 hours, luckly the game was almost over)

#89 Edited by medacris (660 posts) -

Am I alone in hoping Goombella comes back someday? I remember really liking her as a character. It feels like every time they try to introduce a new character that interacts along the mainstays of Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, etc. they never last long beyond a game or two. It'd be nice to see some new mainstays.

#92 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

My biggest problem with this game is that the combat is entirely unnecessary. Why in the fuck would you give a game an interesting and fun to play combat system and then give you absolutely ZERO reason to use it? It blows my mind at how awful a design decision that is. In the beginning I was fighting everything, then after I realized there was no purpose to it I just avoided everything and saved my stickers until I had to fight.

Incredibly disappointed with the game and I'm in the same boat as a lot of others here. I want another Paper Mario in the vain of TTYD. There's been two of those games in 3 generations. I think we'd all be OK with another one.

#93 Posted by Sless (64 posts) -

This thread title pretty much sums up exactly what I felt. All I want was another "real" Paper Mario RPG, because the original is one of my favorite games ever, and TTYD is even better. I played Super Paper Mario and legitimately didn't like it. Beyond my disappointment with the genre switch, I felt that SPM was a really boring and overly wordy game. I know a lot of people felt SPM was okay, but I did not have any fun.

So when screenshots and videos of SS came out, I got jazzed that it looked like a real RPG, then disappointment smacked me back down to earth when I read about the sticker system. I was bummed. I didn't even want to buy the game because it seemed like a game I would (like SPM) be truly bored with. But I bought it anyway (I'm a sucker) and... man. I think SS is great.

Let me be clear - the lack of leveling system is acutely felt. The game does a disservice by having random battles at an RPG's pace, without the payoff that battles in RPGs give you. Even the best battle system is rendered a nuisance after so much fighting, but the leveling system is the reward. Not having that hurts this game, for sure. But I think it still manages to be incredibly charming and fun despite that. I think a leveling system that focused not on the HP/FP/BP increase every level, but instead had some interesting "perks" to pick at a level up (10% more coins, enemies drop stickers more often, enemies miss more often, randomly get a sticker back after using it, etc etc, just some made up examples) would've been a great way to keep EXP and leveling in the game without breaking their sticker battle economy (which can be fun. It feels great to peel and collect a sticker). But there's none of that in the game - though the level of exploration in each level is fantastic. I was also concerned about the world map setup, but it doesn't compartmentalize the game quite as much as you'd expect, but makes traversing much easier. I'm not done with the game yet, but I am really enjoying myself.

All that said, I want another real Paper Mario like you all. 3DS, Wii U, whatever. I would love another big adventure. But Sticker Star at least makes me less concerned about Nintendo wanting to "casualize" Sticker Star, because it doesn't really feel casual, just different. It's been 8 years since a Paper Mario RPG, so there's no real element of "burnout" with this style of game, so I really hope Nintendo/IS brings it back soon-ish... but I guess I'm contributing to that not happening by buying and enjoying SS so much.

#94 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

@Sless: Reading your impressions makes me much more interested in Sticker Star than I was before. Hearing how you felt about it before playing the game mirrors my sentiments pretty closely and hearing what you think of it after actually playing Paper Mario SS has me excited to play it eventually.

You don't mention partners, though. Isn't that something aside from the lack of leveling that is also a massive bummer?

#95 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

This game is a disaster.

Bowser is mute. Think about that for a second, the best character who received tonnes of praise in previous games... heck he got his own game in BiS, and now he generically cries like an animal. Luigi also has five 'cameos' where he appears as a 'clickable' silhouette in the background. Find him five times and he shows up in a parade in the ending! Also no dialogue. This is indicative of how charmless I find this game. There are no original characters bar Kersti, the crown partner, who is nothing special. The most interesting dialogue is uttered by toads and it's all puns on how the world is paper. In previous games, the humour was actually well-written, now it's like, "oh, you got hurt, do you have a paper cut? Hahaha!" There is no story and in that regard it's hardly deeper than one of the Mario platformers. The bosses are also considerably worse than previous Paper Mario games. There are, I think, six, of those, four are sized up Mario enemies like Goombas and Pokeys that have crowns. They say things like "shi...ny...crown." SPM at least had original characters for the boss encounters.

They ripped the soul right out of this franchise. Yeah, the battle system is decent, but fairly self-defeating in the way it handles stickers. Exploration is equally dumbed down. Find a hole in the world and pause the game to place an obvious sticker! Locales are forest world, desert world, volcano world, the usual Mario platformer junk. I may be very cynical here, it's just that I'm so tired of Nintendo botching these games... I hated NSMB2 for being uninspired. This game on the other hand is truly disappointing. It's a shallow experience compared to its predecessors.

#96 Edited by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

An answer!

Aoyama
After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.
Tanabe
I had heard that at first Miyamoto-san said that something like an RPG would be fine, so for a while I thought that something like the previous one would be fine.
Iwata
That must have meant that you hadn't done much that was new.
Tanabe
Right. So we wondered what to do. Then the idea of using stickers came up. Originally, the plan was to use stickers here and there for solving puzzles on the overall map and so forth, but then we thought, "If we're gonna do that, then we might as well use stickers for the whole thing, including battles," and we decided to begin rethinking the game mechanics. "
"Iwata
Listening to you talk, it sounds like Miyamoto-san was a scary presence for the team.
Aoyama
Yeah, he was! (laughs) "
"Iwata
Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?
Tanabe
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.
Iwata
That's a difficult task. In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series.
Tanabe
Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo25, and not even 1% said the story was interesting. A lot of people said that the Flip move for switching between the 3D and 2D dimensions was fun."

So there you go guy who made this thread. The reason it couldn't be Thousand Year Door but better was because Miyamoto came in, said "do something different" and "why does it need a story" and people listened to him. Miyamoto, and Miyamoto alone, is responsible.

#97 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19336 posts) -

@TheMasterDS: Where did you get that from?

Ah thanks, it's from the latest Iwata Asks. Interesting.

#98 Posted by BisonHero (6512 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TheMasterDS: Where did you get that from?

Ah thanks, it's from the latest Iwata Asks. Interesting.

It's baffling that they demand that this series completely reinvent itself into a totally different thing after a couple entries, in terms of gameplay (even lighter), story (there almost is none) and general writing (far less original characters and mini-story arcs). While other series, like Zelda, still have effectively the same overall structure, controls, dungeon design style, and basically the same items, all of which have stayed the same since Ocarina of Time. I guess I don't want the Paper Mario series to be as stale as the Zelda series and just keep rehashing Thousand Year Door almost identically, but it would be nice if Miyamoto would hand down more proclamations of "reinvent this entire thing" to some of the more stale series.

Seriously, the last time I feel the Zelda series did something really ballsy was when they set the entire game on an ocean, which is a technical feat that has barely ever been done before or since. And they nailed the feeling of an enormous sea on basically their first try. It's so depressing that Nintendo has these employees capable of great feats of creativity and innovation, but seem to be frequently held back in favour of like...conformity to the established Mario/Zelda/whatever brand identity.

#99 Posted by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

It's maddening. He wants to fuck with the series who have been absent for so long that a new entry would be enough and he refuses to intervene when franchises are going stagnant. Take F-Zero for example. Earlier Miyamoto said of F-Zero he didn't see the point of making a new one because he didn't think anything needed to be changed. Meanwhile the 7th Mario Kart just came out. The 8th will come out in a year or two regardless of whether anyone making it has any new ideas. NSMB is also a great example of this madness. He should've been complaining "NSMB2 is literally a port of NSMBW. Right down to the copy and pasted boss fights" and put a stop to that game but he didn't. It's crazy making.

#100 Posted by Fat_Magnum (68 posts) -

I must admit I was a bit disappointed after hearing how great the Paper series was and buying, without doing proper research, Super Paper Mario. It mostly felt like regular-ass Mario to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.