Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 11, 2004

In his second papercraft adventure, Mario must find the seven Crystal Stars needed to open the mystical Thousand-Year Door (before a group of alien invaders do the same).

Best of the Mario RPG games?

uncle_andross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uncle_andross

Who else thinks this was the best of the Mario RPG games? Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario come real close though.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ddensel

I still need to play Super Mario RPG! Now that it's on Virtual Console though, I should have no excuse.

Paper Mario: TTYD is damn good though, one of the best Gamecube game for sure!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The original Paper Mario is, by far, my favorite.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Black_Rose

I havent played Mario RPG, but so far i agree this is the best

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

This is definetly on my #2....but dude, #1 goes to Super Mario RPG. I had much more fun fighting Smithy than I did...Dark Peach.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Tanuki

Psh, no way.  Super Mario RPG is first, for sure.  Then the Thousand Year Door.  And then 64 paper mario.  And never Super Paper Mario.  Because good lord, that Wii one was terrible.  Except for that "Error 404: Mouse not found."  or whatever that dragon says when you fight him.  That was halarious.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Hmm... can't decide. Never played Super Mario RPG, but I'll probably buy it over Virttual Console soon. From what I can recall, I think I'd say the original Paper Mario was a bit better, but Thousand Year Door was quite rad as well. Super Paper Mario was mostly great, but not quite up to par with the others.

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CactusWolf
    Tanuki said:
    "Super Mario RPG is first, for sure."
    ^This.
    DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DXSSI

You're all wrong.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (for the Game Boy Advance) is the definitive Mario RPG.  A lot of people overlook it because it's on a handheld, but it's got as much content as any other Mario RPG and a whole heck of a lot of things that set it apart from the others.

• A gripping, surprising storyline.

Unlike the other Mario RPGs, whose best and only plot twist (if that) is "LOL, Bowser and Mario have to TEAM UP," with Superstar Saga every cutscene and dialog box is a pleasure to experience due to the player wanting—or needing—to know what happens next.  I'll skip the details in case any of you haven't played it yet (for shame!)

• A robust battle system.

All of the Mario RPGs do a good job with their battle systems, but Superstar Saga outclasses them.  On offense, SS can be likened to Paper Mario, with both jump and hammer attacks, Bros. Attacks (special moves that can be related to Star attacks), as well as attack items.  But there is a third class of standard attack in SS which I won't spoil, so there is simply more variety.  And the Bros. Attacks, rather than being canned animations, are interactive sequences requiring timed button presses, which keeps you active even while things are happening.  If that wasn't enough, the game is extremely robust on defense, forcing you to defend with both Mario and Luigi at the same time, by pressing the appropriate button.  Some incoming attacks are averted with a well-placed jump; others with a swing of the hammer.  Ultimately you're never bored in battle.

• Personality.

Instead of drab, lifeless cardboard-cutouts of Mario and friends agreeing to everything that comes their way, Alphadream found an ingenious way to make the world come alive in spite of Mario's apparent refusal to open his yap.  Mario & Luigi converse with each other and with others, but it's in an unitelligible Italian-ish gibberish (think Banjo-Kazooie), but also heavily pantomimed with clear facial expressions that tells a story within a story.  Mario & Luigi not only team up here, but act as a cohesive unit, sharing items and teaming up for super-powerful Bros. Attacks.  Not since Mario & Luigi invoked pasta power on the Super Mario Bros. Super Show have you seen this kind of camaraderie between them.  It's especially neat the way when one of them falls in battle, the other screams and looks on with concern.  Then, if you have a 1-up Mushroom to spare, the active brother will toss it into the fallen brother's mouth, instantly reviving him.

There's plenty more I could say about this game but I'll leave it at that.  If you're a fan of Mario RPGs and you haven't played this game, then you have committed a grievous error.
    Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Liono88

Mario RPG....Square put their stamp on this game

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By tearhead

Super Mario RPG has a special place in my heart. So yea, that.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure

DXSSI I love you, because without a doubt Superstar Saga is easily the best in the series, exactly for those reasons you said. I have never played a game that had me laughing so hard yet was also so challenging and fun. While I really enjoy the bro items in partners in time, that game is just mediocre overall when compared to Superstar Saga.... Man I think I am going to have to play through it again now ><

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned TTYD is the second best one. DXSSI broke it down wonderfully how great Superstar Saga on the GBA was (Though I didn't care for the second one on the DS. Really crossing my fingers for the third)
    But that doesn't take away from how fantastic this game is. This and Wind Waker duke it out for being the best GC game of them all for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.