Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Papers, Please

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 08, 2013

A graphical adventure game about Cold War-era immigration control, where players take the role of an immigration inspector who must control the flow of people entering a fictional Soviet-style nation. Glory to Arstotzka!

How did your first try at the game end? (spoilers, probably)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

I imagine a lot of the story events are fixed, so this thread will probably be riddled with spoilers. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I decided to aid the weird Ezic organization (think that's how it is spelled), because fuck The Man and this shitty low-paying job that he gave me. I admitted the first guy, and took his offer of $1000, even though I knew that surely this would bite me in the ass somehow later. Sure enough, the government confiscates my savings several days later pending an investigation. I was supposed to let in a second Ezic guy, but I think I sorta glossed over his name, and only later in the day did I check the name I should be looking out for and go "Aw crap, I think I might have denied a dude with that last name". Supposedly he was going to fix things for me?

So since he didn't fix things, the government finished their investigation like a day later, and said "Hey, you accepted a lot of money from some real shady characters. Hope you and your whole family like prison!" Which is apparently ending 4 out of 20.

I should play it again and try to not fuck up this time.

sapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My first ending was a death sentence, because I helped Ezic by shooting at the red guy in the line. Also had a couple of different endings near the end. I guess I'm gonna go on a loyal obedience run next time.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

@sapp said:

My first ending was a death sentence, because I helped Ezic by shooting at the red guy in the line. Also had a couple of different endings near the end. I guess I'm gonna go on a loyal obedience run next time.

I got that too

SerMattzio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got arrested for helping Ezic even though I didn't. Gave the Ezic document to the investigator.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sermattzio said:

I got arrested for helping Ezic even though I didn't. Gave the Ezic document to the investigator.

That's what you get for helping The Man.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I got ending 4 on my second try, basically went the same way you described. My first try i got ending 1 which i think they just throw you in jail for insubordination if you get too many demerits.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it keep track of which endings you've gotten anywhere?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb
    deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I helped Ezic and they blew up the wall at the border checkpoint and let everyone through and I was then rewarded by Ezic for helping them. I think it was ending 19.

keeganbragg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: On Day 14, how do you know which person to let through as the agent? I can't find their name on any of the EZIC stuff.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BisonHero

@keeganbragg said:

@bisonhero: On Day 14, how do you know which person to let through as the agent? I can't find their name on any of the EZIC stuff.

Figuring it out is most of the fun. Did you get both black sheets from the Ezic dude? One with a bunch of letters, one with a bunch of holes in it?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm confused by the EZIC agents. I saw the second one 'STEPHENI GRAIRE' but i don't remember admitting the first guy. Is he the one that gives you the 1000 credits?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@bisonhero: @keeganbragg: I'm pretty sure the EZIC agent on day 14 is the one where you just get the one sheet with a few random placed holes and a little dotted line at the top. Spoiler: When you put it on top of the EZIC agents passport, the letters that show through are E-Z-I-C.

@jedted: I think you get the $1000 after you get the encoded message, regardless of whether you let either of the agents through. I even burned the money after not letting the first guy through and then received $2000 (I think the day before the second agent is in line).

The endings that I've gotten so far (haven't been tracking the numbers):

• Kill the guy in red. Get sentenced to death. (Hired Rifle achievement)
    • Tranq dart the guy in red. Get sentenced to manual labor.
    • Turn in the EZIC when given the opportunity. Get arrested. (Too Honest achievement)
    • Unable to pay the fine for hanging up that athlete's poster on the wall.
    • Ignore the EZIC all the way through. MOI agrees to overlook any minor issues discovered in your background check and says that you can return to your post when the border reopens. (Glory to Arstotzka achievement)

rabidwombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Weird, I thought I killed the guy in red and got sentenced to manual labor. It's easy to replay that day once and see those endings.

First time through, I got the Too Honest achievement.

Second time through, I hadn't let the Shae woman in like the party boss wanted, so I was arrested on some trumped-up charge. The problem is, I'm not sure what day she came in, so I don't know how far back to replay.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I think there's an ending that involves Jorji Costava. I haven't seen it for myself but apparently in that one he gives you fake passports to help you and your family escape the country if you tell him about the audit.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15 chaser324  Moderator

@zacharai: I don't think Shae shows up until quite a while after you're initially told to be on the lookout for her, and I'm pretty sure detaining her is what leads to getting that ending. Even if you turn her away, I think you're fine.

@mayu_zane: Yep, once you get near the end, he'll give you some info about that.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

I was really bad at the game my first playthrough. I ended up with the worst possible ending. Basically what happened was that since I was doing poorly I decided to instead heat my home to upgrade my booth. Thinking that upgrading my booth would pay dividends down the road I figured, "What's one night?" Well everyone got sick, when everyone got sick I also started doing much worse.

I believe the ending I got was the state coming into provide for my family since I no longer could, then them finding out I helped the Illuminati folks. I don't know exactly if this was the case, I was sort of physically distraught at how hard I felt the game was towards the end of my first run & just washed my hands of it at the time.

I have since started becoming more invested in the game and have been doing better knowing the mechanics.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although it was not my first play-through (The first one, I tranq'd the guy in red sentencing me to jail, Ezic could not care for my family). The one after that, I did not shoot the guy in red, but went all the way through and helped them start their revolution (by letting them blow up the wall, letting people through the border). That one was probably the "best ending" in the sense that you become an agent for Ezic (which I guess is good) and you get to stay with your family.

There are 2 other play-throughs that I have in mind: 1) Loyalist (do not help Ezic at all) and 2) Escape to Obistran (or whatever that country is called).

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto
    @mayu_zane said:

I think there's an ending that involves Jorji Costava. I haven't seen it for myself but apparently in that one he gives you fake passports to help you and your family escape the country if you tell him about the audit.

I just finished my first playthrough, and this is the ending I got. Man, those last few days were intense.

So each fake passport costs $25, and you need to confiscate one legit Obristan passport per family member for Jorji's guy to modify. And you only get access to Jorji's guy two days before your audit. So in two days, you need to confiscate 5 Obristan passports (you get one free from Jorji, but I also had the niece), and also I needed $150 to pay the counterfeiter for the six of us. And of course, since there's no legitimate reason to ever confiscate a foreigner's passport, your last few days have to be flawless. My nerves were so shot, I made a bunch of additional mistakes on top of the intentional ones I needed to make to nab the Obristani passports, so by the end I only had enough money for myself and my son to escape, leaving the rest of my family behind, and at the mercy of the state. Man, I'm seriously still recovering. I can't deal with this much stress on a Saturday morning.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pete0r

I think my bumbling incompetence may have brought about a wave of terrorism. Somehow, despite holding them on separate sides of the desk, I managed to mistakenly switch fake and real documents.

Also my family have gotten used to eating and heating every other day to save money.

Starting again I noticed that the envelope explaining your job is stamped M.O.A, but sadly it is a real seal, a shame the whole thing isn't a set up from the start with a fake job.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeJFlick

I kept trying to stop those Ezic terrorists, I eventually pissed off my supervisor by not allowing his friend into the country, I forgot about her.

GeoMitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time around, I decided to try and help the EZIC guys because hey, y'know, espionage. However, I didn't do it perfectly, I had to move from my class 7 back to my class 8, family was frequently cold, got the heat put on me, and was only 5 dollars away from being able to escape to Obristan with my entire family and instead was only able to take my son.

Second time around, I stayed true to the revolutionary spirit of Arztotzka and impeded the EZIC terrorists. I excelled at my job, and I was even able to move all the way up to a class 5 apartment (the best one you can get). I never had to turn off the heat or go hungry once.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba

In my one playthrough, I encountered 4 endings. first time I played I got locked away because I gave the inspector the papers that EZIC gave me. The second time was because I denied the inspectors friend (she was being a total dick). The third time was because I had my sons painting on my wall (apparently that gets you arrested) and my true ending was helping EZIC blow up the wall and everything being okay!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rjayb89

I got out of there all by myself. Was a bit nervous during the entry process to Obristan, and that was great. I would've denied me if I was him.

Jorji, man, character of the year. Probably the only dude where my character actually addresses someone by name. He tried to do some bad things through my checkpoint, so I had to detain him a few times, but we were bros until the very end, man.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjayb89 said:

I got out of there all by myself. Was a bit nervous during the entry process to Obristan, and that was great. I would've denied me if I was him.

Makes ya think that Obristan a much better place to live than Arstotzka. They don't even ask the reason for your visit.

One thing i'm wondering about the escape to Obristan is, i got passports for all of my family but i only heard 4 *KACHUNK*s at the checkpoint. I thought maybe some of the passports i confiscated were invalid but it didn't say anything about any of my family being left behind.

Concise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I betrayed EZIC at the final moment, taking down their assault on the border, because I'd grown resentful after they asked me to die for their cause by shooting the red man--didn't do that either, obviously. Unfortunately, I still got arrested at my audit for helping them on previous occasions, and then the organization slipped a note into my cell saying they wouldn't help me to escape from prison because of the betrayal. It doesn't pay to flip-flop.

AstralFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AstralFire

The first time around, I wasn't use to the game mechanics, so I received the first ending (I think?) for getting too many mistake notices. Also, my entire family was sick and cold and dying because my wages were shit. Then rent went up, so everything was doubly shit. I'm pretty sure I only made it to Day 7, which is terrible.

This second play through I'm on is a lot better, I guess. I showed my boyfriend the game, and we played it together, so there were less mistakes probably than with just me playing. Still, for a bit, I had to alternate between heat and food, until I got the $1,000 from the EZIC people. (And I was able to finally detained that one douche who would have sold out that one broad and killed her.)Jorji is, by far, my favorite person. I laughed too hard when he came back with the hand-drawn passport.

I'm pretty amped to see if I can juggle the EZIC story line with the regular day job, as I was initially planning to be a loyal communist piece of shit to everyone without credentials (b/c family). And I suppose I can appreciate just how fucking stressful it is to work border control. After an hour or so of play, my boyfriend had to be the one to say, "Okay, that's enough checking shit! Let's GO OUTSIDE."

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bisonhero: that's the same thing that happened to me. I'm going to try again from the beginning.

Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got ending 20 on my first try. That's because I just ignored all the people making dodgy requests of me and carried on, haha.

Jabbawocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

I was sentenced to a labour camp because I ended up detaining the Inspector's friend. Although my family was sent back to the village and never went hungry or cold during the events of the game... although that was slightly stained by the fact that my sister got arrested and my niece disappeared because I couldn't afford the adoption.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Ending 4 of 20. I should have just torched that pile of money right away.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jimmy_p

Helped EZIC all the way, except shooting the red guy. Then escaped to Obristan a day before the audit.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got ending 11 of 20 because I hanged my son's drawing in my wall? I never really understood why would that be such a violation.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redcream said:

I got ending 11 of 20 because I hanged my son's drawing in my wall? I never really understood why would that be such a violation.

The boss guy tells you the first time he visits that you aren't allowed to decorate your booth with anything but official government-approved things (basically just the crappy plaques saying you are sufficient).

The first time he comes by and you have something up (the banner from the sports team might be the only thing you can have at that time), you should've noticed your pay was docked $20 for the infraction. If it happens a second time, you get sentenced to hard labour or whatever. Admittedly, even if you fuck up the first time, there's no indication that the second time will be such a harsh penalty. I just assumed I would get docked pay again, so I made sure to quickly take stuff off the walls when I saw him coming (then immediately put it back up, because fuck that guy).

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ending 17 of 20. Helped out Ezic only one time, but still got arrested and put in jail. Took in niece and no family died.

Kinda bummed that you have to finish with your job intact to unlock endless.

Stutum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first go endet up in jail, since I eventually din't have enough money to pay the rent. xD

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

On like Day 5 my whole family died of starvation and I went to jail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.