Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Path of Exile

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2013

Path of Exile is a free-to-play PC online action Role-Playing Game set in a dark fantasy world.

Any chance of some kind of coverage?

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So POE officially releases tomorrow. With the weird schedule that it seems is gonna happen this week, is there any chance of some coverage from the few people in the office?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A game that's been in open beta since forever suddenly releasing isn't really news; there are some additions that wouldn't impact a quick look at all.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: DoTA 2 wasn't news either, the "news" part was someone actually playing it, a phenomenon which will undoubtedly not occur with Path of Exile.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd enjoy a quick look for this. I'm digging it so far, though I'm only level 7.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game that's been in open beta since forever suddenly releasing isn't really news; there are some additions that wouldn't impact a quick look at all.

Except that 1.0 actually brought some significant changes and content additions to the game.

Brad would probably like this game, seeing as he's crazy for randomized loot.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb always say they try to avoid covering games until they launch....now the game has launched it's too late all of a sudden?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samstrife: Don't really remember anyone saying that but they have plenty of coverage of games in that weird semi-released state.

@dezztroy: Yes, significant changes that don't impact a quick look as I said; QL would be somewhere in act 1 I imagine with them slowly plodding away killing zombies and skeletons; they wouldn't be able to explore the things that make the game interesting I'm sure.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SamStrife

@fredchuckdave: Jeff says it pretty much every time they talk about early access or paid alphas/betas.

And yeah, Path of Exile would be the first time they would show off the first part of a game and not the real "meat" of it....

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see some of the guys giving it a look that is quick at some point. From my slight awareness of the game it looks Diablo-esque and the guys like Diablo loot driven-ish games. I remember looking at the skill tree and thinking it looked very FFX sphere grid, which isn't a bad thing to mimic. that system was cool.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By veektarius

I played a bit of it last night, seems okay; I'm not convinced about the skill system though. That said, I really don't think a game like this offers much of a viewing experience.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By alanm26v5

I know nothing about this game, is it still free to play even though it's "out"? Does that mean there's annoying microtransactions? I would hate to get invested in something only to hit a wall purposely designed to make me spend money all of a sudden. Note, I'll support free to play games I can trust, but a loot based ARPG would be hard for me to trust it was done correctly. I guess a quick look wouldn't get far enough to answer a question like that anyway, but one might lead me to check it out next time I'm bored.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know nothing about this game, is it still free to play even though it's "out"? Does that mean there's annoying microtransactions? I would hate to get invested in something only to hit a wall purposely designed to make me spend money all of a sudden. Note, I'll support free to play games I can trust, but a loot based ARPG would be hard for me to trust it was done correctly. I guess a quick look wouldn't get far enough to answer a question like that anyway, but one might lead me to check it out next time I'm bored.

In fairness to Path Of Exile, they promised there would never be anything on their store that gave players an advantage. 2 years later and that's still the case. It's really refreshing to see.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You can buy extra stash tabs, cosmetic items, and non-combat pets. There is no pay to win in this game and none of the content is behind a paywall.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote for a QL

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've played this game on and off for a bit. Haven't had a chance to d/l the update since it released but I think it definitely deserves a look by the GB crew.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really deserves more attention. It is the best Diablo like game since Diablo 2.It is really fun if you like these kind of games with tons of different loot.

Sylinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Sylinder

Here`s your coverage: It`s good and it`s free.

The microtransaction part is really really minor. You can play through it, and get the full experience of the game, without ever having to spend a dime. In some ways it`s a shame because this game is so good I really wouldn`t mind having to pay for it.

It`s a surreal thing, because it feels like they missed a real oppurtunity to make money with this game just by the way their microtransactions are set up and insignificant.

Where others have failed by making their game to much about the microtransactions these guys have fucked themselves by not making it even a factor for the experience. The interresting part being that the game is just way to good for them not to make a shedload of profit.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I downloaded this on Steam without knowing much about it...is it viable to solo this game? Or what about playing offline?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I downloaded this on Steam without knowing much about it...is it viable to solo this game? Or what about playing offline?

There is no offline play since it is a server based game. But you can totally play it solo of course.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By PandaBear

As with a lot of games not usually covered here on GB if they do a QL it'll just piss of existing fans and drive away potential new ones.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sylinder: When I was playing the beta I wanted to throw them some money, but what they offer is so meaningless that I decided to hold off until they possibly have more to offer with the steam release. Such an amazing game, can't wait to jump back in.

Epicurwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think of it as buying useful things, think of it as supporting NPR. Sure that coffee mug isn't worth $100 a year, but the free news is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.